• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox HG 8X33 BR Rangefinding bins? (1 Viewer)

DWK

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried out the Minox 8X33 HG's yet - do they actually give you ranges to what you're looking at? (For reference, here's the bins I'm talking about: http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4745)

They seem pretty ideal for the type of birding I'll be doing in the future - I have a year in Peru coming up and will need bins that can deal with moderately low light and lots of moisture; the rangefinder would come in handy for transect surveys if it's accurate to +/- 10%. If they're also sound in other respects, I'll probably splurge with next month's salary and grab a pair.

Thanks,

DK

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried out the Minox 8X33 HG's yet - do they actually give you ranges to what you're looking at? (For reference, here's the bins I'm talking about: http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4745)

They seem pretty ideal for the type of birding I'll be doing in the future - I have a year in Peru coming up and will need bins that can deal with moderately low light and lots of moisture; the rangefinder would come in handy for transect surveys if it's accurate to +/- 10%. If they're also sound in other respects, I'll probably splurge with next month's salary and grab a pair.

Thanks,

DK

I have not seen these, but I think they are just using a graduated focus wheel. You might consider a stand alone monocular unit. I have used the Bushnell, Leupold, Leica and other units and right now my favorite is the Leupold RX IV. It has digital compass, inclinometer and distance meter to 1 meter. Optics somewhat degraded by the LCD (haloing, etc). Leupold also make a binocular rangefinder, but I have never used one so I have no idea of the optics (I believe they are 9x32). See http://range-finders.binoculars.com...-optics-rxb-iv-digital-rangefinder-57507.html

I've no hands-on experience w/the Minox HG line, but as far as I know the "rangefinding" capability is VERY limited in comparison to a real rangefinder, or real rangefinding binos. This is an example of deceptive advertising. The HG accomplish their "rangefinding" by having a distance scale on the focus knob, so I can't believe it would be of much use for any critical application. I use a Bushnell rangefinder for transect survey work--it is tiny, lightweight, easy to use, reliable, and not too expensive.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=2647

--AP

I have looked through a 8x33 HG once in a store, and the optics seemed to be VERY good. I would recommend it based on the image.

Also the handling and overall quality were first rate.

But I agree with the other comments about the rangefinding feature. Probably it's not that accurate, but I didn't really try it out (and it would have been difficult indoors.)

Marko

DWK -

I own a pair of the 8.5X HGs. I would say the rangefinder is within 10% accurate, but still has limited usefulness as others have suggested. I don't use it that much. You would be better off with a rangefinder for such applications in my opinion.

To be sure, they are more than sound in other respects.

ND2000

Thanks for the advice!

The rangefinding isn't really a make-or-break point for me, just a bonus. How do the optics stand up to similar binoculars in that price range, i.e. Vortex Razor and Meopta, as well as those above and below like Zeiss Conquests and Nikon Premiers?

DWK -

The HGs are my favorite pair under $1,000. I had also looked at the Meoptas, Bushnell Elites, Leupold Golden Rings, Kahles, etc.

I have not tried the Vortex Razor, but I know a lot of people who have tried them really like them. The HGs are not quite as good as either the Leica Trinovids or Swarovski SLCs, but very close.

ND2000

The focus scale on the focussing wheel (we make a point of not calling it a rangefinder) is reasonably accurate to about 50 yards away, much after that the depth of field gets too large to give an accurate reading.

If you do need something that gives you a laser-measured accurate reading then you'll need a separate device.

HTH

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back