• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID - Arlington, TX (1 Viewer)

spresutti

A few weeks ago I spent the morning at the Village Creek Drying Beds in Arlington, TX. Its a great place to bird if you ever visit the area. While driving past one of the ponds, I spotted this hawk on the ground. He was staying pretty low under the shrubs. After a while he flew to one of the bushes to give me a good view. I took some shots while he waited in the bush, and eventually took off.

I haven't been able to secure an ID of this one. It seemed like it was wet and the feathers were all messy. The lack of color on the breast doesn't really help. I was hoping for a Sharp-Shinned Hawk (that would be a first for me) but I don't think that's right.

Thoughts?

Stephen

Attachments

• Hawk4.jpg
    Hawk4.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Hawk1.jpg
    Hawk1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Hawk2.jpg
    Hawk2.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Hawk3.jpg
    Hawk3.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 61
Red-tailed Hawk, juvenile. Probably Fuertes sub-species based on very light belly and underwings. You can see a bit of the patagial bars in photo #3. And "back straps" in photo #4. Ferruginous would have feathered tarsi.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back