• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IR Remote Release (1 Viewer)

garusll

In thinking about my next digital camera purchase, I have decided to go for a 4 or 5 Megapixel resolution digital camera with a decent internal Optical Zoom Lens, and an InfraRed Remote Release so I can do away with having to press a shutter button on the camera.

Since this will also be used for DigiScoping, it would be nice if it had a smaller diameter lens, such as the Nikon CoolPix (27mm).

Any ideas?

It's a constant annoyance to me that most digital camera manufacturers don't fit an i.r. sensor for shutter-release.... they're cheap to implement and the actual remote could always be an optional extra if the companies want to keep the camera price down. Olympus used to be good at supplying i.r. remotes, Nikon certainly don't (yet they expect us to pay $100+ for their unreliable cabled remote)
It's hard enough to find a digiscoping friendly camera, let alone one with i.r. facilities. A Leica man said that their next digicam would 'possibly' feature it..... but it would need to be a far better digiscoping camera than the current Leica digilux 1.
A number of cameras can be triggered by their usb input, so a small add-on i.r. unit (third party?) could be easily made by some 'techy' type.
We'll just have to put up with cable-releases for the time being (they stop 90% of human-related vibration, especially those shaky fingers when a good bird appears!)
Regards,
Andy B

snapper said:
& me Ithink every body who digiscope's would love a IR release.

I've got one for my Oly 7070 but actually I still use a manual more - primarily because you can't get the half shutter press to check/lock the focus with the IR.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back