• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

an older Swaro 30x Eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

Bradley B

Hi,

I just picked up an new ATS65HD with 20-60x at an excellent price, with which I am well-chuffed. I am wondering about a Swaro 30x eyepiece that they had on the shelf at what must be significantly older pricing than Swaro's current price list. It is packaged in a clear plastic cannister, and it has the fold-down rubber eyecup.

I am new to Swaro (having been looking pretty hard at Leica and Zeiss until I encountered the price on this one) and don't know the product line that well. Does this description date the 30x eyepiece, at all? I can live with the fold-down rubber eyecup, but , if it is older, I am wondering what other specs may have changed vs. current models, such as coatings, lenses, FOV, ER?

Does anyone have any insights on this model. Is it a go at 17% off of current pricing, or would there be differences worth the cost of a newer one (if, indeed, this is not what a new 30x looks like)? Or, if is is older, can I be assured that its specs match the ATS65?

Thanks,

Bradley

That certainly sounds like an older version of the eyepiece - all the newer ones have the twist up eyecup. The old eyepeices do work fine with the new scopes, they just don't look quite so good. I'm not sure of the technical spec, but when comparing the old and new 30x there was very little noticable difference.

That said I would not buy an old one if it's only 17% less than the new model, you should be able to pick up a used one for a lot less. In fect I have one that I've been thinking of selling so if you want a cheap secondhand one PM me.

Hi,

I have a Swarovski ATS80HD with a fixed x30 eyepiece. My previous AT80HD (which my wife now uses) has the eyepiece you refer to, with the fold-down rubber eye-cup. The eyepieces are (I think, but honestly haven't tried) interchangeable. The optics on both these scopes are excellent and I couldn't really say that one is better than the other, BUT, having used the big chunky eyepiece on the new scope I would not go back to the smaller previous version. Also, for digiscoping, the new twist-up/down eyepiece is far superior.

The new version has a wider field, and if I remember correctly, also better eye-relief. The field edges are also better corrected in the new one.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
The new version has a wider field, and if I remember correctly, also better eye-relief. The field edges are also better corrected in the new one.

Kimmo

That's a clincher. Thank you, Kimmo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back