• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of the year? (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

So as we head rapidly towards 2014, what's your bird of the year? Maybe it was on your local patch or maybe you travelled to a far-flung location to twitch it.

CB

I went to Namibia this year and saw many great birds including the colourful Lilac breasted Roller, but for me, because of conditions and that its native to Germany where I live, it has to be the Long tailed Duck, seen up in Darß-Zingst in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in winter. It was well worth the Baltic conditions.

The Ythan King Eider for me, stunning bird, lovely place lovely weather and never saw another birder all day.

One of these four :t: Two stunning lifers, and two very satisfying self-found (even if they were 'only' year ticks)

cheers
martin

Attachments

• 20130702-_DSC8246.jpg
    20130702-_DSC8246.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 54
  • 20131005-_DSC0546.jpg
    20131005-_DSC0546.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20130509-_DSC6302.jpg
    20130509-_DSC6302.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20130621-_DSC8081-3.jpg
    20130621-_DSC8081-3.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 56
Probably this guy. Very close and very unexpected (shot taken with a standard digital camera from a highly frequented footpath/bicycle lane). Also, Water Rail (finally) in a very similar situation. And a couple others.

Attachments

• DSCF6469 resized.jpg
    DSCF6469 resized.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 66
Stresemann's Bristlefront is hard to surpass — although with a better view, the Gorsachius Night Heron I saw on Seram could have toppled even that.

Locally, Thrush Nightingale pleased me more than the (rarer) Parrot Crossbills, especially as the latter were not cooperative at all!

The Dutch bird of the year would be (what I consider to be) a hybrid Rufous-tailed × Blue Rock-Thrush, which must be one of the rarest birds I have ever seen.

Attachments

• Rotslijster-Den~Helder.jpg
    Rotslijster-Den~Helder.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 66
My own personal best bird of the year has to be my first ever (and self found) Red Flanked Bluetail in Denburn Wood, Crail in October. Was very surprised (having just remarked that I never found anything good in Denburn Wood) and there was a bit of a panic when the bird vanished before I could get a photo, or anyone else had seen it. Thankfully it was relocated and showed quite well for 2 days before disappearing.

Honourary mentions to the very tame and photogenic Pectoral Sandpiper (Forfar Loch) and Grey Phalarope (Carnoustie), and also my first ever Red Backed Shrike on my patch at Riverside Nature Park in Dundee.

Attachments

• 10278161524_db54744eee_z.jpg
    10278161524_db54744eee_z.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 9884260264_c2a4e90efa_z.jpg
    9884260264_c2a4e90efa_z.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 10873908313_7252d3f98d_z.jpg
    10873908313_7252d3f98d_z.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 8759084206_f3b99c7662_z.jpg
    8759084206_f3b99c7662_z.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 47
Good thread. I guess mine would be the Semi Palmated Plover on Hayling Island but only because it was a lifer. Grey Partridge was good, hadn't see one for years.

A great male Red-footed Falcon ridiculously close in the Camargue, France was the bird of the year for me. In Britain, it's between the Red-breasted Goose at Sturt Pond in Hampshire and the Pied-billed Grebe at Ham Wall in Somerset.

For me it was the visit in the spring of a beautiful male sub alpine warbler to my small patio in the centre of town.Fed on greenfly twice within a morning but did not get a picture.2014 must keep a camera in the house!!!Good excuse to get another camera....Eddy

Successful chases that involve a long drive and have something of a story or adventure behind them tend to make the rare birds I do find on those chases memorable. I had several this year, as I've begun to chase birds within a day's drive that would be ABA Area lifers or world lifers.

My "best" bird of the year is probably Spotted Redshank. They are very rare in North America, and one showed up in Indiana in late March, coincidentally at one of my former local patches. (I moved from Indiana to West Virginia a year and a half ago). I made the 16-hour round-trip drive to see it, leaving at 3:00 am, taking an hour to see the bird, and then getting back home at 8:00 pm.

Close runner up would be Barnacle Goose, because it was a lifer and because I had dipped on Barnacle Goose about five times before seeing this one. I actually drove to eastern Pennsylvania where one had been reported, but it hadn't been seen the morning I arrived. I then made the decision to drive onward another hour and a half to an industrial area in New Jersey, just across the river from Manhattan. It had been in a city park for a month or so in the company of Canada Geese. That was also another long day in which I left at 3:00 am and didn't get back until late in the evening.

Dave

Just checked my diary and found that the only 'birding' that I've done this year was a 10km twitch in February for Pied-billed Grebe (a county tick). Must get out more...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back