• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ng Tung Chai, Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

Black-throated Laugher showed flair by imitating a Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler,
Which particular call did it imitate - the Streak-breasted call I like best is one that sounds like - coolbirdy

The bird that gets most imitated round here is bamboo partridge - I've often heard Hwamei, LT Shrike and Bulbuls getting into - beeper ray beeper ray

Hi Sid
Our Scimitar Babbler, (ssp. stridulus), also has a three note call, but more measured than your representation suggests, but they have a range of other calls. I'll listen out for "coolbirdy".

Yesterday was the first time I've heard Mountain Tailorbird on the patch this year. I also had at least 3 Russet Bush Warblers and briefly saw one, and enjoyed an hour watching the Black Bulbul flock.

Crested Serpent Eagle was displaying, and I thought Besra was too, but then a Crested Goshawk appeared below it and the reason for the stoops became clearer.

Non-birding highlights included a dead young Wild Boar, and better still a good view of a live one eating the bottom of a giant plantain.

Big day on the patch today - I have different people covering nine different areas this morning simultaneously. I'm back at Tai Om Shan, having dropped my sweater somewhere along the track yesterday!

Cheers
Mike

At least 95 species of birds were recorded in Lam Tsuen today by birders covering 9 different parts of the valley.

The highlights were:

Great Egret - She Shan (rare in Lam Tsuen)
Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush - KFBG
Bull-headed Shrike - Tai Yeung Che
Greenish Warbler - Golden Triangle
Goodson's Leaf Warbler - Ng Tung Chai
Blyth's Leaf Warbler - KFBG
Black Bulbul - Tai Om Shan
Upland Pipit - Tai To Leng

There were no major new discoveries, but a few Lam Tsuen regulars were missed. These included Blue Whistling Thrush, Plumbeous Redstart, White-browed Laughingthrush, Sooty-headed Bulbul and Blue Rock Thrush. Of course many other winter birds were also not seen, and it must be possible to see 100 species in a day in winter.

When I have all the records from the recorders I will do a simple analysis. Many thanks to all 11 birders who took part.

Cheers
Mike

Non-birding highlights included a dead young Wild Boar, and better still a good view of a live one eating the bottom of a giant plantain.

Wow, no idea you had boar there! Too bad to see the first one that way, but nice to see one walking around too.

At least 95 species of birds were recorded in Lam Tsuen today by birders covering 9 different parts of the valley.

There were no major new discoveries, but a few Lam Tsuen regulars were missed. These included Blue Whistling Thrush, Plumbeous Redstart, White-browed Laughingthrush, Sooty-headed Bulbul and Blue Rock Thrush. Of course many other winter birds were also not seen, and it must be possible to see 100 species in a day in winter.

Nice to have such an extensive survey! Sounds like fun.

The survey was good fun and prepared me perfectly for our annual bird race which was totally trashed by what, with awesome gargantuan MASSIVE understatement, the Observatory called a "Humid easterly front".

So we didn't even get up to Tai Om Shan and instead hid from the rain and had tea at my place, waving goodbye to at least 15 birds we might have seen on a better day - as in the Black & Chestnut Bulbuls, four species of Bush Warbler, minla, mesia . . . self pity misery moan moan moan.

Actually it was OK in the bits we did cover - Plumbeous Redstart was below the fabric dam, Grey-headed Flycatcher showed in the Golden Triangle, We saw a young Collared Crow begging for food, and had Rubythroat, Red-flanked Bluetail, Little and Black-faced Buntings all in a couple of minutes.

The day before was also good - with the briefly pulse-thumping highlight being a White -capped Redstart found by both Dylan and Martin, a birder who has recently moved in across the river. But as the pic shows it had damaged left primaries and central tail feathers and was almost certainly an escape. Other goodies included my first calling Large Hawk Cuckoo of the year, Black-naped Monarchs at Tai Om Shan and the Golden Triangle and a briefly seen Striated Heron.

Most significantly I also heard the big owl (probably Brown Wood Owl) giving its three note call around midnight, but was glad I didn't drag myself out of bed as it stopped after calling three or four times.

More gen on the outcome of the race and what we saw elsewhere on the day can be found here.

Cheers
Mike

A few photos from the patch.

The macaque was at Kadoorie Farm the same day the Black-shouldered Kite appeared.

The winter view is from my balcony

The wasp had stunning golden eyes and the strength to fly carrying a cricket at least its own weight

The Stone houses are fom the village across the river, where I dipped on Bull-headed Shrike and Plumbeous Redstart, but where the escaped White-capped Redstart was found.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• macaque - bf.jpg
    macaque - bf.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 66
  • winter view - bf.jpg
    winter view - bf.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 84
  • wasp - bf.jpg
    wasp - bf.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 72
  • stone houses - bf.jpg
    stone houses - bf.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 70
More pix from the patch

First up . . . a bird! The breeding Barn Swallows began prospecting for a new nesting sites yesterday.

There have been a couple of other good birds - Savannah Nightjar - a rare bird in the valley - called just after I got off the bus last night, and while I was at the bus stop this morning two Chinese Grosbeaks flew over and one of them had the good manners to call.

The HK Newt was in the stream outside my house. It looks like a pretty old one with a tail like that , but would appreciate comments form those who know about herps.

The toads were on the path onthe way home - taking advantage of a blast of warm weather to get it on. The temperature had dropped from 25 degrees back down to 13 this morning!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0480 barn swallow -bf.jpg
    DSCN0480 barn swallow -bf.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0469 HK newt bf.jpg
    DSCN0469 HK newt bf.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0496 toad sex bf.jpg
    DSCN0496 toad sex bf.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Nic pics! It looks like your winter view is foggy! but beautiful (particularly in a Chinese sort of way). The wasp's strtength is impressive. Looks like getting ready for New Year's at the village. (Firecrackers - sporadic - began a few days ago here.) Nice to see all the life on your patch - we still have to look through ice here - though Shi Jin has shown there's more out there than I might think!

By the way, what kind of activity does nest searching look like in the swallows? I should watch when they eventually get here. (Speaking of which, I haven't really seen swallow nests around our campus much... should think about that more...)

Hi Gretchen

The swallows were looking wistfully at the overhang where the shadow of last-year's nest used to be. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

There were two Bull-headed Shrikes in Lam Tsuen this morning! Both were females.

One was at Tai Yeung Che, just in front of the row of three old houses. The other, a brighter and cleaner bird, was in the flower fields near the path that goes south from the left hand side of the She Shan Road.

Other good birds today, which was spent mostly in the open field areas because it was so dark included a Blue Rock Thrush in Tai Yeung Che, a Magpie on a nest above the abandoned school, five Fantail Warblers together near She Shan, and a Bright-capped Cisticola nearby, five Little Buntings near the pond where Common Teal, now showing the plumage of a breeding male continues to hide. Over 30 Hair Crested Drongos may have included some newly arriving birds.

It was good to see a flock of five White-browed Laughingthrushes, having missed them completely in the bird race, and to have 6 or 7 Dusky Warblers - I thought they'd thinned out over the last couple of months. Apart from that there were the usual winter regulars, but 4 Greater Coucals was a good count, and I enjoyed the Common Buzzard perched in the tree in front of my house and the distinctive zree-but.zree-but.zree-but song of a Russet Bush Warbler from the same area at dawn, and a Black-winged Cuckooshrike with delusions of grandeur hanging on the coattails of a couple Hair-crested Drongos.

Altogether I had 52 species, and missed the Plumbeous Redstart Dylan saw at Tai Yeung Che ( but I did see a female at Bride's Pool this afternoon)!

Cheers

Mike K

A quick visit to day to Tai Yeung Che and finally saw the Plumbeous Redstart on the river between the Lam Kam Road and the bridge.

This is an interesting bird - a first winter male - which is starting to grow the red tail feathers of the adult plumage and the back is more uniform than a female I saw yesterday at Bride's Pool (below the beautiful waterfall on Mirror Pool).

I also saw the Bull-headed Shrike - again in front of the row of stone houses with the large fung shui trees behind.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0542 bh shrike bf.jpg
    DSCN0542 bh shrike bf.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 64
I got to see 4 different shrikes in Thailand, but not this one. He's definitely compact looking (a little chilly? or maybe that's the typical shape). You don't have a picture of your redstart I assume. I also got to plumbeous males and females in Thailand, so it would be interesting to see this young one.

Hi Gretchen

Your wish . . . is my command!

I got some fairly ropey shots of the immature male Plumbeous Redstart today. It showed superbly, but hand-held digiscoping in low light is always a hit and miss affair.

Anyway, you'll get some idea from the attached shots.

It would be great to hear more about your trip to Thailand.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0558 PRed1 bf.jpg
    DSCN0558 PRed1 bf.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0560 PRed2 bf.jpg
    DSCN0560 PRed2 bf.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0572 PRed3 bf.jpg
    DSCN0572 PRed3 bf.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 67
I did have more luck with the Bull-headed Shrike. She at least was perching prominently and the improvement in light to about 1/40th of a second meant the camera was steady enough to get some better shots. Nice to see the new Coolpix 6000 starting to perform.

Attachments

• DSCN0587 BHShrike 1 bf.jpg
    DSCN0587 BHShrike 1 bf.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0594 BHShrike 2 bf.jpg
    DSCN0594 BHShrike 2 bf.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0590 BHShrike 3 bf.jpg
    DSCN0590 BHShrike 3 bf.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 63
Your new camera seems to be doing well on all accounts. However your young redstart looks like it swallowed a puffer fish (inflated!) Guess it was cold! I thought that your redstart pics might help me out with a mystery bird I have, but as I've been comparing pictures, they don't match.

I'll put up a little something in the Thai thread about my trip, and if I can't sort out otherwise, will put up some of the mysteries to get id help.

Will look forward to seeing more of the birds your new camera manages to catch.

The Bull-headed Shrike was again at Tai Yeung Che yesterday morning, but there was no sign of the Plumbeous Redstarts by the bridge.

Other birds there included a Red-flanked Bluetail, Dusky and Yellow-browed Warblers, a Common Kingfisher and a Green Sandpiper. The Eurasian Buzzard which had disappeared for a couple of weeks is now back in residence on the trees and the female Daurian Redstart is back on the veggie patch.

Today I went up to Ng Tung Chai for what turned out to be a rather quiet morning's walk. The highlights were 5 Red-flanked Bluetails, a female Black-naped Monarch, cracking male Siberian Rubythroat and a male Tristram's Bunting. Apart from that the major interest was that the Pallas' Leaf Warblers have started singing - in bold defiance of the coldest day of the year!

I also found a bundle of quills where a porcupine met its end, but by what predator I'm not clear. Answers on a postcard.

While waiting for the bus I had terrific views of a male Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker in a tree just below the road.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0650 buzzard bf.jpg
    DSCN0650 buzzard bf.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0663 porcupine bf.jpg
    DSCN0663 porcupine bf.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Wow, you definitely have bigger animal life there than I credit HK with having. I take it that it wasn't one of the boars after a porcupine - what other options do you know of? (would a large dog do that? I don't think so) bird? big cat?

Sounds like lots of nice birds! Nice to see the buzzard - I'm still getting a feel for what they are like - haven't seen many. Your local Pallas are optimistic I guess (very cold here yesterday too).

Hi Gretchen

It's hard to know what would pluck off the quills like this and leave no bones behind, so my unfortunate conclusion is that it was trapped by somebody (rather than something).

Predators capable of dealing with a porcupine are rather limited - Burmese Python is big enough to take a calf, but I can't see it plucking the quills, Maybe a big owl - Eagle Owl or Brown Wood Owl, both of which have been recorded within a couple of km of the site, but I think it would be too big for a Leopard Cat or a Civet Cat unless it was sick to the point of incapicitation.

Today was quieter - Dylan and I both dipped on the Grey-headed Lapwing found yesterday evening by a visiting birder and the three Taiga Flycatchers did not really make up for it. However, and somewhat surprisingly for a quiet winter for thrushes this Grey-backed Thrush sat still long enough for me to get a few shots.

An adult Black-crowned Night Heron in the stream on the way to the bus stop to pick up my wife last night put in a nice cameo, and a Common Kingfisher was at the same spot this morning.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0674 gb thrush bf.jpg
    DSCN0674 gb thrush bf.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 63
Yeah, a person - the most dangerous predators - makes sense I guess. Not many animals would deal with the quills safely. I often forget all the things which people might eat (or use) ...

Your Grey-backed thrush is very handsome (m?)! Perhaps he's thinking of heading north before too long? Will your winter visitors start leaving in the next month or so?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back