• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia /South Africa (1 Viewer)

Helmut Schumann

From Bogani NAM the first two pictures from October: Weavers?
The third picture Karoo Chat?

Attachments

• P1050916.JPG
    P1050916.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 67
  • P1060734.JPG
    P1060734.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 63
  • P1140169.JPG
    P1140169.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 69
Just to bump this (not sure about any):

1. Juvenile Red-billed Quelea
2. Juvenile Red-billed Buffalo Weaver
3. Familiar Chat - too dark and too much reddish for Karoo, surely?

I can't do the others, but I was thinking Familiar Chat for #3 as well; based more on the fact that it was the most abundant brownish non-descript bird I encountered in Namibia, rather than any knowledge of what Karoo Chat looks like.

Well, in that location, the euplectes ought to be White-winged or Fan-tailed, and the Ploceus weaver ought to be Southern Masked or Village. And the OP would probably have seen an identifiable male of these species around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back