• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 50mm ED scope from Hawke (1 Viewer)

No mention of the use of ED glass in the product description . With all the great reviews that the new Opticrons MM3 ED are getting ,and being so close in price,seems risky to give the endurance a try

Last edited:
Apologies Manuel, you are quite right. Don't know where I got the ED glass part from... The opticron is level with the Nikon as the one to beat still.

Out of curiosity but somewhat related to the topic at hand I wonder why neither the "big three" nor Kowa has delved into the 50 mm spotting scope market.

Out of curiosity but somewhat related to the topic at hand I wonder why neither the "big three" nor Kowa has delved into the 50 mm spotting scope market.

I assume due to costing, but I always like the idea of a 56mm Swarovski spotter. Kowa did used to make a 50mm spotter - tsn501/502 and the exceptionally rare tsn504 which used ED glass and a zoom lens. I wish Nikon would make a final batch of eyepiece's for their fieldscopes, hard to find and super expensive nowadays. Install hold that the ED50 is the best scope I've owned, and indeed its the one that goes with me on every trip abroad.

Swarovski is now in the position of really doing it..a 55mm module would be considerably smaller than the 65,cheaper too,and would complement the 85 and 95 modules as the perfect sidekick

Swarovski is now in the position of really doing it..a 55mm module would be considerably smaller than the 65,cheaper too,and would complement the 85 and 95 modules as the perfect sidekick

My credit cards just nodded sagely and said in unision "we would gladly die upon the Pyres of want for this beauty."

For some silly reason I didn't think of adding a 50 or 55 module to the ATX but you folks are certainly correct that it would make logical sense.

I had no idea about the Kowa. I wonder why they discontinued it. There certainly isn't any lack of interest in a high performing compact scope.

As a former owner of a Hawke 85 ED, I can certainly say Hawke are able to.produce a smart image. Problem is, the Opticron MM3 is so good, that this really to me seems too little too late and woefully underspecified for the price.

Swarovski ATX/STX 50mm ?

One of the reasons Swarovski isn’t offering a 50mm objective module in its modular ATX/STX range could be the weight.

Two of the potential markets for a 50mm modular scope are someone looking for a lightweight scope and someone who already has a Swarovski 80 or 95mm objective module and is looking to add a 50mm module when they want to travel light.

A Nikon ED50 straight body weighs 455g. An Opticron MM3 50mm straight body weights 595g. However, a Swarovski STX eyepiece module (i.e. no objective lens or focussing mechanism) weighs 865g, i.e. more than a complete Nikon ED50 or Opticron MM3 body.

The weight of a Swarovski 65mm objective module is 775g. Let's say a 50mm objective module is going to be at least half that. That gives you an estimated total body weight for a 50mm STX of 388+810=1198g (over 2.5 lb), which is 2x the weight of an MM3 body and 2.5x the weight of an ED50 body.

I suggest that isn't light enough for someone looking for a lightweight scope, and that the weight-saving isn't going to be enough to tempt an 80 or 95mm objective module owner, and certainly not a 65mm module owner. Comments anyone ?

If Swarovski wanted to compete with an MM3 or an ED50 I suggest they would have to start again, rather than add a module to the ATX/STX range. Maybe Swarovski is working on that right now :)

Great thoughts 4John. I hadn't really considered the weight issue by itself so much as a combination of the weight and compactness. But, what you mentioned makes perfect sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back