• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I love scopes, I hate the hassle (1 Viewer)

crinklystarfish

Ireland
Back in the late 90s I bought a Swarovski AT HD 80 with a fixed 30x eyepiece. At that time, in my view, there was no finer scope for birding.

It performed magnificently but I sold it. I sold it because I wasn’t using it. I wasn’t using it because the hassle of carting it and its attendant tripod about just plain put me off taking it with me; especially when just wandering randomly or when out and about on my pushbike.

And so I turned to high-power binoculars (16x56 mainly). This was, for me, a good solution and the past couple of years have seen me permanently equipped with the ability to pick off the vast majority of distant targets with the added and not insignificant benefit of full binocular vision.

Of course, 16x is good; but it is only, well, 16x.

Now, whereas I’d been aware of draw-tube scopes I never took them seriously. What self-respecting birder / natural history observer would use such a plaything with the potential to relegate its user to the status of wannabe pirate or oddball?

Ah well, whatever. Without too much in the way of expectation, I bought at Swarovski CTC 30x75 and it’s been a revelation.

I can, and do, take it everywhere; even on my pushbike as I potter round the local landscape going nowhere in particular. It’s light enough, compact enough and of good enough optical quality to knock off anything that I used to use my old AT HD 80 for. It’s incredibly friendly to use. There’s nearly always a handy rest close enough by, and even if there isn’t it’s easy enough to sit and use a knee. Even in cases where this is impracticable, because of the ergonomics when extended, it’s even possible to plausibly hand-hold the thing – especially if using the stay-on case strap as a bit of a brace. Try that with an ATX 95!

If in the car, or in hides, a quick and easy rest is more or less a given. There is, of course, also a conventional tripod mount fixing but that’s somewhere I’m not going…

Optically it has no massive vices. It’s bright, sharp (on axis), has a generous (for what it is) FoV, and doesn’t disappoint with any nasties – and to give this context I’ve previously been disappointed with and returned / sold my fair share of Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski’s ‘finest’.

Granted, it’s not optically pushing the envelope, if you drop it in water you may be in trouble and there may be the need for occasional services to clean out sucked-in detritus. You’ll also need to get past the nudgers and nodders at your local hide – even those who have left their scopes at home / in the car may think you odd.

I love scopes, I hate the hassle: the CTC 30x75 is – for me – something of a solution.

I see where you're coming from. My sweet ED82A sees use but doesn't go with me everywhere. Instead, I have the ED50 and a monopod and I feel hassle-free in particular when I'm biking farther than the closest surroundings. I store it at my workplace for fast lunch-break excursions.
But I'm gravitating towards buying a superzoom camera, mainly because of the ability to take photos, and the image stabilisation means I could get rid of the monopod as well.
Re the drawscopes, I have noted them with some interest, but the fairly high prices put me off.
There is after all very little the ED50 can't do.

//L

For portability's sake, I also considered an ED50 and know they are very well liked by owners. I image though that without some kind of auxiliary like a monopod they are just as difficult to use as any other 'conventional' birding scope. The major advantage of the draw tube is that the ergonomics lend themselves to easy use without any kind of extra 'clutter'.

I accept completely that this is a very personal take and I also accept the optical superiority of many of the current 'conventional' scopes. I mainly posted for anyone else out there who finds themselves leaving their current scope at home because they just can't be bothered with the faff.

For such people, draw tubes might present a very practical if unconventional-in-birding-circles solution.

Another possiblity is the Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x60. There are a couple of very good posts by John Dracon in the Zeiss forum and a review by Gijs van Ginkel on the House of Outdoor website.

If I were to buy a a straight, longish scope that would be it. Pretty good optics, waterproof and VERY tough.

Hermann

Back in the late 90s I bought a Swarovski AT HD 80 with a fixed 30x eyepiece. At that time, in my view, there was no finer scope for birding.

It performed magnificently but I sold it. I sold it because I wasn’t using it. I wasn’t using it because the hassle of carting it and its attendant tripod about just plain put me off taking it with me; especially when just wandering randomly or when out and about on my pushbike.

And so I turned to high-power binoculars (16x56 mainly). This was, for me, a good solution and the past couple of years have seen me permanently equipped with the ability to pick off the vast majority of distant targets with the added and not insignificant benefit of full binocular vision.

Of course, 16x is good; but it is only, well, 16x.

Now, whereas I’d been aware of draw-tube scopes I never took them seriously. What self-respecting birder / natural history observer would use such a plaything with the potential to relegate its user to the status of wannabe pirate or oddball?

Ah well, whatever. Without too much in the way of expectation, I bought at Swarovski CTC 30x75 and it’s been a revelation.

I can, and do, take it everywhere; even on my pushbike as I potter round the local landscape going nowhere in particular. It’s light enough, compact enough and of good enough optical quality to knock off anything that I used to use my old AT HD 80 for. It’s incredibly friendly to use. There’s nearly always a handy rest close enough by, and even if there isn’t it’s easy enough to sit and use a knee. Even in cases where this is impracticable, because of the ergonomics when extended, it’s even possible to plausibly hand-hold the thing – especially if using the stay-on case strap as a bit of a brace. Try that with an ATX 95!

If in the car, or in hides, a quick and easy rest is more or less a given. There is, of course, also a conventional tripod mount fixing but that’s somewhere I’m not going…

Optically it has no massive vices. It’s bright, sharp (on axis), has a generous (for what it is) FoV, and doesn’t disappoint with any nasties – and to give this context I’ve previously been disappointed with and returned / sold my fair share of Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski’s ‘finest’.

Granted, it’s not optically pushing the envelope, if you drop it in water you may be in trouble and there may be the need for occasional services to clean out sucked-in detritus. You’ll also need to get past the nudgers and nodders at your local hide – even those who have left their scopes at home / in the car may think you odd.

I love scopes, I hate the hassle: the CTC 30x75 is – for me – something of a solution.

Drawscope is very handy for hill birding. Small scope plus lighweght pod can be awkward if you're trying to keep on the move. Weight and space considerations come in to play too if you're carrying a camera.

Alan

Re the Zeiss, during my research I found this comparison and though contrary to my values, it did help.

The stay-on case of the CTC 30x75 helps with field-useability too. It might seem like a small thing until the point of ownership but it really comes into its own when out and about.

When actively birding, I've taken to carrying the (collapsed) scope over my right shoulder with a carefully adjusted strap length. By drawing out the tube and swinging the eyepiece up to my (favoured) right eye there's just enough tension in the strap to 'lock' the scope in place and - seriously - hand-held 30x viewing is plausible.

Of course there's shake but time and again now I've been able to get enough detail to identify stuff where my 10x bins failed.

What I'm clumsily attempting to sell is the sheer utility of the concept and that with this - and binoculars too, there's much to be said for the combination of ease of use and an optical performance devoid of distracting shortcomings; even if the solutions are unconventional or may - in purely controlled conditions terms - lack a couple of light-transmission points etc.

I'd venture marketing, lab-condition results and fashion have much to answer for...

Been away on holiday so only viewed this thread late last night. My first telescope was a Nickel Supra draw tube bought in 1975 and I hardly ever used a support. In a hide I would simply rest the scope on the sill of the hide and view accordingly. My first outing with that scope was walking up to High Street in the Lake District using the Wainwright Guide Book and one of the golden eagles flew out in front of me and I scoped it flying towards Haweswater just using my arms for support.
About six years ago I treated myself to A Swarovski 30x75 draw tube and have never regretted it. I now use a Gitzo aluminium monopod with a rubber foot or interchangeable metal spikes. This arrangement gives me reasonably stable support. I have always found tripods cumbersome and heavy especially when tramping the country side.
I am pleased there are still some like-minded people out there.
There are two draw backs - focussing is slow compared to my Nikon II 60mm Fieldscope and care is needed when it rains, the positive is the bright image from the 75mm objective lens and being able to take into the wild country side without damaging your back.
Enjoy your 30x75, I do!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back