• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with 10x40B dialyt close focus (1 Viewer)

Hi. I just purchased a used pair of Zeiss 10x40B T*P binoculars. They arrived today, and are in fine shape, except the close focus is more like 25 or 30 feet, not the advertised 13 feet. Does anyone know if this can be fixed, either by Zeiss or other means? If not then I will have to sell them myself!! Thanks very much.

Which did you get? There are three binoculars that fit the description: The "traditional" Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BTP, the first Victory 10x40 BTP and the first version of the Conquest 10x40.

Hermann

Hi Hermann, I have the traditional Dialyt 10x40B T*P. They say made in Germany (not West Germany) so I am assuming they are relatively late in the production of this model.

Yesterday while out in the back yard, I investigated the focusing issue further. While looking only through my right eye, I could get the full range of crisp focus, from a far distance to a close focus of about 13 feet. Through the left eye, turning the focus wheel didn't seem to make much of a difference at all. It is as if the focus wheel might be broken, or at least not functioning. So the plot thickens...

While looking only through my right eye, I could get the full range of crisp focus, from a far distance to a close focus of about 13 feet. Through the left eye, turning the focus wheel didn't seem to make much of a difference at all. It is as if the focus wheel might be broken, or at least not functioning. So the plot thickens...

A minimum focus distance of something like 13 feet sounds about right. If the left side doesn't focus from infinity to the near point, there's something wrong - and the binocular requires a trip to Zeiss.

Hermann

Have you tried looking at the externally focusing objectives? Are they equally extended/retracted at close focus?

Hi all, and thank you very much again for all of your replies and suggestions. I am very embarrassed (but very happy!) to report that I took the Dialyts outside again today to experiment with the focusing. I discovered that I had the diopter adjustment wheel (forward) confused with the central focus wheel (rear, closest to my eyes). Once I figured this out, I was able to focus the binoculars perfectly, and the close focus is at a nice 12-13 feet. They are sharp, crisp, clear, and bright. Wonderful optics, and they but my old B&L Elites to shame! I am totally thrilled with everything about these bins. I have always dreamed of owning a pair.

Is it still possible to get a rain guard and extra rubber eye cups for these binoculars? And does anyone know if there is a scan of the original instruction brochure on the web somewhere? Thanks much.

David Sample

And does anyone know if there is a scan of the original instruction brochure on the web somewhere?

Hi,

didn't find one for the 10x40 but a combined multilanguage one for Dialyt 8x56 and 7x50 Marine is on the Zeiss pages... which should work just fine for the 10x40 too - you might want to double-check the part numbers given for accessories though.

http://applications.zeiss.com/C1257996004D33D2/0/DB59184E8BE21B41C12579A6004CD658/$FILE/ZEISS-inu-bin-dialyt.pdf

The english instructions start on page 5...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back