• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding's World Cup: Global Big Day—13 May (1 Viewer)

Yes.

First, it's unacceptable imperialism, forcing people outside the USA to use USA spellings that they detest.

Second, a lot of users won't be familiar with the Americanisms, and will be unable to enter their data.

Solution: ebird must accept that Old World species should be corrected in their database to have Old World English spellings (grey, coloured, etc.). I have no objection to e.g. Gray Catbird, but I do have strong objections to being told that I'm too thick and stupid to be able to spell Grey Heron correctly. It isn't yours to dictate what it is called.

Hi Nutcracker, everyone,

Thanks for the comments—we always appreciate feedback.

As others have mentioned, we do actually support the UK spelling of bird names. We have 28 different languages supported as well as 23 regional variations (e.g,. UK English, Australian English, South African English), and you can even view the species using IOC names. Full list here: http://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1596582-common-name-translations-in-ebird

The default list of bird names displayed follows the Clements taxonomy, which does indeed spell all instances of Gray with an a. However, with a few clicks you can change those to Es for every single output in eBird to fit your preferences. This includes all data outputs, all data entry (including mobile app), and whatever else may be of interest!

As others have said, we do hope that this won't stand in the way of giving Global Big Day a try.

Best,
Ian

--
Ian Davies
eBird Project Coordinator
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
http://ebird.org/ebird/profile/MTI3NDA0

Despite having used ebird for just under a year never realised that you can change to english names so thanks for the easy link

Interesting - I'll check this language option out, as I'm an English-speaking commonwealther I prefer her majesty's tongue. Still despite not knowing about this language option I've never had a problem using eBird ( absolutely fantastic resource and the mobile app has steadily improved). I wonder if we can get xeno canto to do the same also (allow for multiple spelling)? :D

Hi Nutcracker, everyone,

As others have mentioned, we do actually support the UK spelling of bird names. We have 28 different languages supported as well as 23 regional variations (e.g,. UK English, Australian English, South African English), and you can even view the species using IOC names. Full list here: http://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1596582-common-name-translations-in-ebird

This is great to know, and while it may give the more culturally sensitive souls this side of the pond some reassurance, it doesn't address the fact that we now have two competing data entry systems and databases - eBird and BirdTrack. The latter has been in use in UK for some time, and looking at their maps of records shows it clearly functions as a more useful tool for data analysis, as there is a much greater recording density than with eBird. The reverse applies in North America (and I suspect the Neotropics too?) where eBird is clearly the most useful analytical tool due to its established user base.
I would like to try eBird's mobile data app out, and will probably participate in the Global Big Day again, but can't help thinking that for day to day data entry, I should use BirdTrack. Maybe instead of competing for world dominance, BTO and Cornell should get together and share data - then users can choose the app that best suits them, knowing they are making an equally effective contribution to scientific knowledge wherever in the world they happen to be. I know both projects are superb efforts with limited resources, so please don't take this in any way as a criticism!

Maybe they already do share data - Trektellen counts are automatically uploaded to BirdTrack, so perhaps there is a similar arrangement with Ebird?

Last edited:
Maybe instead of competing for world dominance, BTO and Cornell should get together and share data - then users can choose the app that best suits them, knowing they are making an equally effective contribution to scientific knowledge wherever in the world they happen to be. I know both projects are superb efforts with limited resources, so please don't take this in any way as a criticism!

Absolutely agree! We collaborate broadly with BTO on the research side of things, and all eBird data are freely available for anyone to use. There is currently no automated data-sharing between the eBird/Birdtrack platforms, but anyone in the UK or anywhere in the world is welcome to go and download every single eBird sighting for free to be used for research or conservation: ebird.org/ebird/data/download.

We're all in this together, and we do look forward to continuing to work with the BTO and other organizations into the future.

This is great to know, and while it may give the more culturally sensitive souls this side of the pond some reassurance, it doesn't address the fact that we now have two competing data entry systems and databases - eBird and BirdTrack. The latter has been in use in UK for some time, and looking at their maps of records shows it clearly functions as a more useful tool for data analysis, as there is a much greater recording density than with eBird. The reverse applies in North America (and I suspect the Neotropics too?) where eBird is clearly the most useful analytical tool due to its established user base.
I would like to try eBird's mobile data app out, and will probably participate in the Global Big Day again, but can't help thinking that for day to day data entry, I should use BirdTrack. Maybe instead of competing for world dominance, BTO and Cornell should get together and share data - then users can choose the app that best suits them, knowing they are making an equally effective contribution to scientific knowledge wherever in the world they happen to be. I know both projects are superb efforts with limited resources, so please don't take this in any way as a criticism!

The eBird system started off as Global but BirdTrack began with the UK, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands and then extended to being a Global system last year.

I found eBird easy to use from Day 1. When I tried BirdTrack to see how it works and check what information a Bird Recorder like myself (IOM) can access I found it difficult. However, I know from users that once you gain expertise in using BirdTrack it becomes easier.

Good luck on the Global Big Day.:t:

It shouldn't be necessary to log in - Grey Heron should be the default English name for Ardea cinerea.

Get off your high horse - the ability to use British spelling is there, it's hardly ebird's fault if you feel it's beneath you to actually select the British spelling that they provided.

Why should they develop the system further to default to regional spelling? If you're a British person, simply select your option, simple. If you believe the system is 'total crap', why don't you develop something better? Do also remember there are plenty of American users who also access the site for information on European birds.

Last edited:
Re. birdtrack vs ebird. It is possible to download your birdtrack records, convert using a spreadsheet into the ebird record format, save as csv, and upload to ebird.

The ebird side is pretty good in how it handles unknowns and things spelt differently.
I use libreoffice which seems to handle the required date format better than excel.

It's not rocket science, but not trivial either. I have made notes to help me as I only do it once a year, usually over christmas (which probably isn't the best time to be concentrating on data crunching!)

It looks like you could do it in the other direction too, from ebird to Birdtrack.

Less than two weeks to go! Are you ready for Global Big Day? Close to 1,000 people have put their locations on the Global Big Day participation map, and this promises to be a mere fraction of the people taking part.

If being a part of the global team isn't enough motivation, then you might also be interested in a couple ways that your birding can actually reward you. If only every day of birding were like that...

Submit three bird lists on Global Big Day (13 May) and be eligible to win free Zeiss binoculars

Every bird list that you submit on Global Big Day gives you one chance at winning a free Ornithology course

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back