• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Cadiz Province (1 Viewer)

I'd agree with what you say John. I haven't seen too many olivaceous warblers, but one 'nailed-on' site I have for them is in a tamarisk-lined rambla in Almeria.

They are pure sods to photograph. It's hard enough to see them.

I'm full of admiration that you got any sort of shot still less such a good one. They are so-and-so's to see well and very adept at hiding in the scrub,

Hi John,

Returned from Spain on Monday night and had duties in Falmouth since then.

Last sunday I took a local friend up 'north' to investigate some birdy sites. We started at Laguna de Medina Sidonia where Great Reed Warblers were particularly obliging from the hide. A family of 5 Red-rumped Swallows were being fed just outside the hide. A few rather distant White-headed Ducks and several Red-crested Pochard were amongst the vast flocks of Coot (no Red-knobbed) and all 3 Grebes had young. Reading your latest posts I'm sure most of the other Warblers were Reed, having got used to Olivaceous near Jimena recently. (I recall years ago in Greece or Turkey finding an odd-sounding Sedge Warbler which turned into Olivaceous when I eventually saw it, so not a million miles from Reed Warbler song). No mud visible so only wader was one BW Stilt. On through Jerez to Trebujena, and the river. I like this route! Purple Heron and Glossy Ibis as we arrived at the first salt pans, then along the road to the first large water-filled pan - 3 Marbled Duck! Not seen them on here for about 6 years, but nothing else at all! I guess it's all to do with the salinity. We did drive down to the Bonanza viewpoint, but the mud here seems to to have become overgrown in front of the blinds. Short-toed, and Lesser Short-toed Larks all along, with Yellow Wagtails and a few Tawny Pipits. Magpie and Raven! No Azure-winged Magpies in the Algaida pinewoods, just a few Tree Sparrows. Laguna de Tarelo's island will submerge under the weight of all those nests pretty soon I'm sure! Again only a few White-headed Ducks, along with a family of Pochard. We backtracked to Trebujena and went down to Cuervo to find Los Tollos.

It is, as you suggested a useful looking site. Avocets and Black-winged Stilts were both protecting young. The only other wader on site was Little Ringed Plover (and possibly Kentish - difficult in the heat haze). I counted well over a thousand Flamingos, and these were easily outnumbered by the Coots, some of which were still nest building. We recorded Great Reed, Reed, Cetti's and Sardinian Warblers. Some Red-crested Pochard and Pochard and a pair of Gadwall. Unfortunately, despite extensive searching, no Crested Coot or Marbled Duck or White-headed duck. We were able to get very close to the water at the eastern side. I would be concerned that the water level (already at Flamingo knee level) might drop rapidly in a hot summer, and given a couple of dry years the place could be just parched. I hope not. There were several Collared Praticoles in the vicinity, and both Gull-billed and Whiskered Terns were present, although I could not confirm any breeding.

After finding our way through Jerez, we stopped briefly around Benalup, but I hadn't printed off your Little Bustard map so I just guessed. Needless to say we failed. Good excuse to go back!

On my way to Malaga on Monday I saw a pair of Bonelli's Eagles north of Ronda, and once again had Azure-winged Magpie over the car on the hill coming up from the plain of Antequera.

EDIT: Appear to have cross posted reference the comments about water levels!!

Last edited:
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your interesting post. Oddly, I failed to see any White-headed Ducks at Medina when I was there - not just me either as I know others failed to find them at that time. However, I had a message via my webpage today that another birder had seen Olivaceous Warbler at Medina. I actually had one building a nest right next to the board walk. I must admit that, although a friend saw them there in 2010, the birds this May were the first I'd seen in a number of visits in May/June. Is it that they can be very elusive or that, perhaps, they're recent arrivals there? Glad you liked the look of Laguna de los Tollos - I think that it had great potential. After all, if it's this good before restoration ...... There ought to be Rufous Bush Chat in the vicinity too if the latest Spanish Atlas is any guide. It's a pity you didn't connect with the Little Bustards near Benalup - I think you probably need my map to get to the right area,

For those of you who have struggled with the full 80pp and 50 maps of my birding notes to Cadiz province I have now produced a simpler version. "Cadiz Birding Lite" (a mere 25 pages) has details of 18 sites complete with maps, notes and a colour photo plus a simple one page guide to raptor migration in the area). Naturally, I have focussed on the well known 'key' sites, but I've also slipped-in several lesser known places which are convenient detour from the usual 'honey-pot' sites. It can be emailed so if you're interested drop me a message via BF (or directly if you already have my email address).

I also hope to get back into making more regular posts both here and on my blog about birding in the area (my latest blog being, atypically, on flowers). Better still, as I now have a small laptop and there's a wi-fi enabled cafe in the village, I hope to be able to make a few posts whilst out in Spain next month and into early September. I'd also post some photos if only I could work out how to use the gizmo I got to plug an SD card into my laptop!

Should anyone here be planning a trip to the area I would be delighted to meet up with them if possible and show them some of the sites myself,

Hi John -

Excellent thread -

Hv bookmarked yr site and blog, thanks v much for posting all your information:eek!:

I am over there birding the last 2 weeks of Sep, flying to Malaga then train to Ronda then West a bit, finishing down at Tarifa and your info has filled in lots and lots of gaps! Particularly as i will be using public transport and shanks' pony so all info with regard to 'walks' will be particularly relevant am really looking forward to it. I usually go to Morocco each Spring and Autumn but the bride fancied somewhere a bit more 'litter free' and without having to worry about getting a beerB :)

Will reciprocate from my field notes upon my return - might even email u whilst i'm over there as we take a little netbook with wi-fi.

Thanks agen and look fwd to contacting you at some stage:t:

Laurie -

Hi Laurie,

I'm most gratified that you like the thread and have book marked my blog. Although the latter is a double edged sword as I'll have to keep it up-to-date and post rather more regularly than of late. Late September is a terrific time to visit the region so I'm quite envious as I've only recently managed to get out there at that time myself. If you want to access my notes don't leave it too late as I'll be out in Spain for much of August and the first few days of September when I won't have such ready access to them myself. Note that my notes are much more detailed than the introduction that you've read here or in my blog.

Birding by public transport can be tough although there's a decent enough bus service between Algerciras (easy to reach by bus from Malaga & Seville or, by train, from Ronda) to Tarifa. There's also a service from Tarifa to Bolonia although I'm not sure it runs into September. A number of sites in Cadiz Bay should be 'do-able' by bus whilst a good service runs from Jerez to Sanlucar and thereafter on to Bonanza saltpans & Algaida. When my memory decides to make up with my brain and start talking to it again, I'll post details of the local bus companies whose timetables are available on the internet. Many sites will be very problematical via bus/train and I'd strongly suggest that you book several days with Peter Jones (www.spanishbirds.com) when in the Ronda area and with Stepen Daly (www.andalucianguides.com) when in Tarifa/La Janda/Vejer area. If you plan to stay Vejer note that the owner of La Botica hotel (www.laboticadevejer.com) will take you out on a birding expedition for free if you stay at his hotel for several nights - he's not an expert like Peter or Stephen, but he's a likable fellow who knows the area well. Personally, I'd spend as much time as possible in the Trafalgar-Bolonia-Tarifa-Algeciras area. If you're an experienced raptor watcher have you considered volunteering fir the Migres programme? I think they may be full, but if not it could be an option,

Salinas Santa Maria

A few years back I was driving back from Sanlucar de Barrameda late one night along back roads when I got hopelessly lost. Twisting along some narrowlane, somewhere at the back of Cadiz Bay, a massive fantastical bird suddenly rose from the verge or the road. It looked so huge in the headlights that for a micro-second I thought “What’s a Griffon doing out so late?” before I realised that it was a gigantic Eagle Owl! With only a few days left of our break and a non-birding spouse to consider, I didn’t manage to get back to the area again until the following spring. Driving the same route in daylight, I appreciated what the owl liked about the place – it was right next to a massive rubbish tip! I’ve been back a couple of times in the late evening but I’ve never managed to reconnect with an Eagle Owl. What I did find, however, was a sign pointing down a track signposted to “Salinas Santa Maria” which I filed for future reference.

This spring I managed to find the time, at last, to take a closer look. The first surprise was that the gravel track was in very good condition. The wide grassy fields at the start of the track held little but had plenty of Collared Pratincoles hawking to and fro. The odd marshy channel and pool detained a few passing terns and herons, but none were too close to the road.

After a kilometre or so the fields on the right gave way to the saltings that border the southern bank of the Rio Guadalete whilst to the right large salinas came into view. Between them they both attracted a healthy range of waders – Grey, Ringed & Kentish Plovers, Whimbrel, Curlew, Little Sint, Dunlin and Curlew Sandpiper. There were also good numbers of Slender-billed Gull. Although none of the waders presented themselves at the close range that such birds strut their stuff at Bonanza, the variety seemed much the same. Several paths run down from the track to the riverbank and might reward further investigation.

As ever in southern Spain, birds of prey were present too - Marsh Harrier, Black Kite, Booted and Short-toed Eagle – but not in the kind of numbers I usually see along the Guadalquivir nor with quite the same variety (I missed Red Kite for example). However, several larks flitted along the track – all the larger ones I saw were Crested, but most didn’t show too well for confident ID. In contrast, the smaller larks were far more obliging. The first few were Short-toed Larks, but mixed amongst them were a few delightful Lesser Short-toed Larks. These birds were far more obliging than I usually find them at Bonanza although the time I got my camera in position they had decided to be less helpful! Things became less interesting as you approach the bridge over NIV and the salinas on the far side of this busy road are dominated by a large Yellow-legged Gull colony.

So, is the site worth a look? Well, to that I’d give a definite, if qualified, ‘Yes’. If you’ve plenty of time and plan to visit the Sanlucar area, then heading straight for Bonanza will get you more birds and of a greater variety too. They’ll most likely be at closer range as well. Then again, if you’ve had such a thorough look at Laguna de Medina that you find yourself ‘pushed for time’, a quick foray to this conveniently placed site will allow you to pick up some interesting species. Arguably, it’s also one of the best sites to look for that much wanted, if subtle, little bird, Lesser Short-toed Lark.

Attachments

• Santa maria directions 2.png
    Santa maria directions 2.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 61
  • S . Maria Colour.jpg
    S . Maria Colour.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 52
  • Salinas de SM 2.jpg
    Salinas de SM 2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 48
  • LS Lark - Copy.JPG
    LS Lark - Copy.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 63
VULTURE FEEDING STATION -open to the public
Some good photos and text (in Spanish) here describing a new vulture feeding station - open to the public near Cortes de la Frontera this February - http://redvoluntariosserraniaderond...2/actuacion-en-el-comedero-de-carroneras.html
The feeding station is well signposted (Observatorio de Aves) off the A373 between Ubrique and Cortes de la Frontera on the road down to Estacion de Colemenar (i.e. c4.5 km west of Cortes or 11.5km east of the turn off for Ubrique (Mirador Mojon de Vibora). To judge from the photos you'll need a 'scope for good views unless you get to use the small photographers' hide in the compound). If I can find out when and how regularly food is left out for the vultures and how you can get to use the hide I will post details here. I will try to have a look this August. Even if no vultures are on view the road to the station is fabulous and the village at Colmenar apparently has a superb venta .......

Last edited:
We're back in Alcala de los Gazules for four weeks with birding initially limited to what can be seen around the village – well our terrace - early and late in the day. We're at the top of a steep hill in the centre of Alcala and walking far in this heat (35+ºC) is something to be avoided. Hence until we get a hire car, all posts, unless explicitly stated otherwise, refer to sightings in Alcala. Hopefully, though, my posts will give you a flavour of what you can see with very lazy birding in this part of the world.

We arrived late on the 10th so had no time to look for birds, even local ones before dark. I was too busy with other things to have much of a scout round on Thursday (11th) morning, besides it quickly got far too hot. Come the evening, though, the heat had relented, but the wind had not so conditions were decidedly tricky if a lot cooler. Even after a few years of regular visits, there's always something of a 'learning curve' to be negotiated on arrival and no where more so when distant raptors are the target. Add to this looking west into the sun and, with the wind still gusting strongly, the birds had forgotten how they were supposed to fly! The crossbow shape of a hunting Pergrine left no doubt and nor did the typically straggling flock of Black Kites. The Lesser Kestrels were more problematical, but were homing in on their usual roost in an old watch tower. No it was those damn micro-shapes snaking and swooping over the distant line of hills that were causing me grief! Facing into the strong Levante (easterly) winds, the birds presented only a head-on profile. Now, this isn't always an impossible angle for confident ID, but with their wings tucked in and hardly moving, any signals that wing shape and flight action might have given were entirely absent. Add to this that they were being buffeted by conflicting eddies which caused them to drop and turn unpredictably, then the picture of an ID nightmare is complete! Even the magisterial Griffon Vultures were in on the joke holding their wings is a quite atypical manner as they bulleted along. . Perhaps, in a day or two I'll do better than 3-4 Griffons, 2 Booted Eagles, a possible Short-toed and an embarrassment of UFOs (or more precisely UFbOp's), but easy it ain't!

After a late night – this is the week of the Alcala Festival - it wasn't until about 8:30 Friday 12th April 2011 that I awoke. I quick foray up on the terrace showed that there was very little avian activity, but by 09:15 Black Kites were beginning to spiral out from their roosts. As the air warmed more and more kites drifted up, but, as so often, by 10:30 or so it was pretty much all over. Some kites straggled south low along the ridge across the valley, but others circled high into the heavens. Beyond these kites, indiscernible with x8 bins, and only barely so with my x27 'scope, there was a legion of tiny circling dots. A conservative estimate suggests something like 600 Black Kites passed through in the space of barely more than an hour. Impressive though this might seem, and it's my highest count for the species from the terrace, the views were all very distant and not a single kite came directly over the house. Not for the first time I found myself wishing that, despite the huge convenience of having a house in the centre of a small village, that we had one on the ridge-line opposite. With better light and less of a wind I also managed to pick up 3 Booted Eagle, a single Short-toed Eagle, ten Griffons and a couple of probable Lesser Kestrels. My closest encounter with the latter came when I swept the outside stairs and found several “kestrel” feathers. Since so many Lessers breed around the house and always 'see off' any 'Common' I'm sure that they all belong to Lessers. Most, though, I'd guess are unidentifiable except, perhaps, one from the mantle. A flock of swift hawked over the house most of which seemed to be Common, but there were at least three Pallids. A clutch or two of Spotless Starlings and the odd Swallow also showed up, but raptor passage had slowed to a near stop (although Liz reported 60 more Black Kites, this time right over the terrace, at around 16:00).

A further vigil between 18:00 and 19:00, by which time the terrace was again in the shade, if still rather too warm for comfort, produced little in the way of birds. A handful of Swallows, a House Martin or two, a small balbo of Griffons on sentry duty and a couple of Booted Eagle. However, a party of 50-60 swifts strafed the house around 18:30, flying low enough to allow me to see that, whilst most were of the Common persuasion, 2-3 were again Pallids; pretty much what I've come to expect here. Flocks of 'medium sized' swifts are rarely made up of more than 10% of Pallids.

So, another late night and another fine concert explains, but hardly excuses, the fact that I didn't get to look from the terrace until 09:00. With scarcely more than a cooling zephyr and a surprising amount of low cloud the birding from the terrace had a very different feel this morning. Unlike yesterday, there was scarcely a bird to be seen other than some local Spotless Starlings. However, by 10:00 a swirling party of swifts came over signalling a brief period of activity – no definite Pallids amongst the 100+ swifts, but the distance, light and viewing angle was far from ideal. However, there were 2-3 Alpines cruising around. Six Booted Eagles diffidently circled down the valley and, as 10:30 approached, the Griffons started their forays. A party of nine came over low enough, but the remainder, 10+ birds, sauntered past high and in singles or loose pairs. A male Lesser Kestrel – or was it more than one bird​? - pottered over to inspect the old place, but that was more-or-less it for the morning.

A passing mid-afternoon Scarce Swallowtail – albeit a scruffy one – did allow me to try out my new camera on some wildlife. The camera was a success, but I'm not so sure about the photographer! Thankfully, having got paint and brushes, the afternoon heat had was far too furnace-like to consider actually doing any work. Unfortunately, the same heat made it too hot to comfortably 'bird' even as late late as 19:00. By then a light westerly poniente wind had started to blow (although not enough to deliver any relief from the heat) and it was probably this that accounted for the scarcity of birds – an initial three Booted Eagles right above the terrace as I popped up to have a look suggested more than was delivered. Indeed, I saw no more eagles and only a brace of Lesser Kestrels plus a meagre handful of hirundines until we had a spot of supper at 20:50. Wind direction here is clearly crucial for any visible migration of raptors. A passing Scarce Swallowtail – albeit a scruffy one – did allow me to try out my new camera on some wildlife. The camera was a success, but I'm not so sure about the photographer!

With the wind again negligible, it was an unproductive day birding on the terrace today (Sunday 14th). A single Red-rumped Swallow rocketed through at 09:00 and a couple of Common Swift circled over, but the skies were more-or-less empty. The first raptors were again Booted Eagles (10:30), but this time only three (are they local birds?). With the skies singularly vacant it was hard to ignore the temptation to read a book particularly when its so interesting as 'Here be Dragons' (a fascinating discourse on biogeography by Dennis McCarthy). Hence, I may have missed the first few Griffons, but the first that I saw were at the later than usual hour of 11:50. However, given the paucity of any birds before hand and on through until 13:00, I suspect that I hadn't missed the first sentinels by much. The only other excitement was a single Alpine Swift low with a handful of 'swift sp'. By 13:00 the remorseless tide of shadeless heat had swept across much of the terrace leaving a retreating, shrinking oasis of shade. On a more productive day I'd have moved still further into the remaining shade (is this umbratropism, the opposite of phototropism?) and sat it out. However, with only the odd flittering flock of House Martins for company I headed below stairs. Naturally, it was now too hot to do any of the remedial work I'd got the paint for and, besides, how could I break the local taboo of working on a Sunday?

An afternoon reading the manual for my new Panasonic G3 camera left me as much confused as informed although at least I could now switch off the all-to-easy accidentally activate dedicated video button. Switching it back on is another matter! Come 17:30 I decided that it was time for a recce on the terrace. Even at this relatively late hour, and carefully keeping to the shade, it was a shock to find just how oppressively hot it remained. Over the distant ridge a party of six Ravens buzzed a raptor out of sight before I could 'scope it, but a Common Buzzard later came up from the same general area so that was presumably the bird in question. The second raptor present before I retreated was a single, very distant Griffon. A dozen or so swifts zapped around, fortunately some flew low into the valley where their milky-brown plumage betrayed them as Pallids (2-3 birds max). As House Martins dithered about an unseen, but noisy, flock of Bee-eaters slipped through. Feeling that I'd roasted long enough and as things were very quiet, I evacuated below. A subsequent foray at 18:30 proved that remained pretty much as hot as it had been, but with even fewer birds. Then it was off to meet up with friends for a very pleasant evening meal. Interesting to see how the flocks of Cattle Egret divide into two streams as they pass over their house – most skirting the village to the west, but a few heading east. Clearly my counts from the terrace miss a small, but significant proportion of the birds that come this way.

No surprise that, after a very late night (02:50), I didn't emerge from my slumbers until 10:30 on Monday (15th). Once on the terrace, true to form four or five Booted Eagles promptly floated up and a single Short-toed Eagle headed south followed by a handful of Black Kites - barely identifiable as they slid past the distant bulk of Medina Sidonia. A single circling bird at a similar distance looked suspiciously like Marsh Harrier but is best left unconfirmed. Swifts were up high but included a couple of Alpine. I also heard a scolding Sardinian Warbler and had a trio of Serin pass over - my first since we arrived. Although things were very slow, since it was far less furnace like than yesterday I managed to stay at post until 13:30. This produced a further four Short-toead Eagle (inc. one at faily closer range at last), another three Booted, about 15 Griffons, a Lesser Kestrel and a dark Common Buzzard. Just before mid-day the melodious bubbling of Bee-eaters drew attention to a small flock of c25 birds in the valley below. Giving just enough time for Liz to nip up and see them, the birds then circled off into the sky. By 13:00 things had become very slow indeed, but I hung on for another half hour until the decreasing area of shade and the need for some lunch again drove me below.

It was still uncomfortably warm at 18:30 and, since little was then moving, I didn't resume birding until 20:00. Even then the pickinga were very slim with no raptors about other than a passing Peregrine and the usual evening inspection by Lesser Kestrel (4). Some high flying apus and hirundines were something of a diversion containing a lone Red-rumped Swallow. In these conditions they tested my ability to distinguish Common from Pallid Swift; most were certainly the former, but there might have been some of the latter present too. Then there was the usual crepuscular procession of Cattle Egret. And so to bed – remarkably at 23:00 rather than post-midnight although this is no guarantee that I'll be up earlier than usual!

16th April 2011 and our 36th wedding anniversary – someone around here deserves a medal and it's not me! Retiring to bed early the previous night had clearly done the trick as I was up and on the terrace by 07:50 (and that's 06:50 UK time!). Pleasantly cool and with clear blue skies and only the slightest of light breezes it seemed idylic. However there was little reward in the shape of birdlife; a few passing Swallows and House Martins, chirruping House Sparrows and not a lot else. Actually, those sparrows are a bit of a treat since it's a god few years since I could hope to expect them in the our small garden back in Canterbury. Not a lot happened beteween 08:00 and 09:10, but the clanking of the crane jib above the terrace made me look vertically above me – and there were a swirling mass of swifts. My immediate estimate was of c500 birds – nearly all Alpine Swift – but there were probably far more since they continued to wheel around passing in and out of sight as they slipped behind the wall that shades the terrace. They were joined by a couple of Lesser Kestrels (09:20), but there were very few 'dark' swifts mixed in amongst them. Gradually as the numbers of Alpines waned, more and more 'Common/Pallids' joined the throng. Given that the swifts were very high and mostly giving only a ventral view any chance of picking up (still less confidently identifying) a possible White-rumped Swift was very low, but that didn't stop me looking! Besides, and in contrast, a Little Swift would have been 'do-able'. The first Griffon of the day graced the skies at 10:20 and was followed by a pale morph Booted at 10:35. No more raptors passed over the house by 11:15 although two of the more distant hills now had 9 (7 & 2) wheeling Griffons, two Short-toed Eagles and a lone Booted. However with things to do, mainly ones I wanted to avoid, it was time to depart down to the village.

As feared, I spent a good portion of the afternoon sorting out the smaller bedroom which badly needs painting; by the time I'd finished parts of it badly needed plastering too! Having managed to pick up emails from the 'internet cafe' in the village I also spent a good deal of time doing some editorial work on a book on the Pyrenees – fun, but very time consuming. At 19:00 I popped up to the terrace for a “look-see”. Half an hour later I'd amassed a single Sparrowhawk, a lone Booted Eagle, a singleton Common Buzzard, a solo Black Kite and four Short-toed Eagles, but little else. Since it was still very close I decided enough was enough and again retreated back downstairs to continue savaging innocent text. Walking through the village later I had six Lesser Kestrels before arriving at the restaurant where we'd arranged to meet friends. So, for the first time in 36 years, Liz and I had a meal out on our anniversary!

Wednesday 17th April 2011 - I think that the birds have joined in a conspiracy against me as, with excuses sorely needed, the skies were obdurately empty this morning. It was hot and still – never a good sign. Hirundines were thinly present (as usual), an Alpine Swift did nip through and there were a couple of very distant raptors in the sky, but in truth it was as dull as I've ever seen it. So it was down to the hardware store to pick up things conveniently forgotten previously and then no choice but to get stuck in filling cracks (crevasse might be more accurate) and painting walls. T

We ate on the terrace this evening and, as in the morning, the birds were prominent by their absence. A lone Booted Eagle, a trio of Lesser Kestrels, a similar number of swift sp., no more than 3 House Martins (!) and the usual evening promenade by several hundred Cattle Egrets was almost the sum total. Yet I also had my first White Stork of the trip and only my second ever Little Egret from the house.

A more pleasant start this morning (Thursday 18th) with some cloud cover and a light, but cooling, breeze. However, after a short detour to pick up more filler etc from the hardware store, by 10:50 I still hadn't seen a single swift or hirundine and only one raptor – oddly enough my first Montagu's Harrier of our stay. A final scan with bins at 10:55, before my labours were due to commence picked up a single Griffon which, when I used the 'scope, resolved itself into 6 birds. Similarly distant was a small flock of swifts. Having spent too much of the day painting and decorating I'd hoped that the evening would produce something of note. In fact it was just as slow as the rest of the day – a distant flock of a dozen Alpine Swift and a similarly distant Short-toed Eagle was about it. A change to westerlies is forcast for tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what this brings.

As usual John - good stuff! But I'm confused about all these references to April 2011. Given the temperatures and the fact that the days of the week equate to the date I assume you mean August! But I guess your wedding anniversary will be the trigger for sorting that! And congratulations for that; not many make it to 36 these days.

Incidentally, I am likely to be out that way in November, when, hopefully, it will have cooled somewhat. When I have a few more details I will get in touch if you don't mind - I will need plenty of advice.

Best

David

Low-key, but enjoyable by the sound of it John. . . and more birds than there are over my place at present!

Cheers
Mike

After decades of decline, the Spanish population of Great Bustard is now thought to be stable overall. In some areas increases have been reported, but this is counter balanced by a continued decline in smaller isolated populations. The most recent Spanish atlas (2004) shows them to be present in Huelva, Seville, Cordoba and Jaen. That it still depicts several occupied squares in Cadiz merely underscores how quickly small populations can be lost. According to the most recent national survey (2003) there were no more than 350 birds in the whole of Andalucia. Leaving aside a few isolated reports, there appear to be five population centres (see my map) in the region:
A a small, isolated and seemingly declining population in eastern
Huelva south of Villanueva de los Castillej
B small population (c30 birds) north-west of Seville near
Aznalcollar,
C a larger block of occupied squares around El Arahal (c30 birds)
and east towards La Lantejuela/Osuna/El Rubio (c100 birds inc.
25 mature males)
D a population stradling the Cordoba-Jaen border south-east of
Cordoba (towards Valezuela) and into Jaen with 30+ birds south
of Porcuna
E a population along the border with Extremadura in northern
Cordoba at Llanuras del Alto Guadiato (near Los Blazquez) where
there are c100 birds (with 50% more in winter) and in the
nearby Pedroches Occidentalesa (east of Belalcazar) with c50
birds. (This population probably also spills over into Seville
province north of Guadalcanal).

With these figures the best part of a decade out of date and with smaller populations being vulnerable, it's not surprising that in Andalucia it's categorised as in 'critical danger.' Hardly surprising as less than 30% of Great Bustards survive their first year. The two populations in Huelva and western Seville (A & B) are now so small that they may not be viable in the long run (although they still seem to be reported from both areas). I don't have precise figures for the whole population in Cordoba/Jaen (D), but it appears to be rather low so it too may be endangered. Once small populations become extinct, natural recolonisation is problematical as Spanish Great Bustards are relatively sedentary (unlike eastern European populations). In Spain birds do not move much more than 20 km from their breeding sites although males may range as far as 65 km. The remaining two populations – Arahal-Osuna (C) and northern Cordoba (E) - have similar populations (100+ birds). Arguably, that in the north is the more secure as it is close to larger Extremaduran population. This is reflected by the influx of birds in the winter here which increases the population by c50%.

All the above suggests that, whilst the odd 'vagrant' may reappear in Cadiz province, recolonisation is not likely to happen anywhen soon and that some of the more isolated populations in Andalucia will gradually disappear. (For more details see http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/conservation/wildbirds/action_plans/docs/otis_tarda.pdf)

In a later post I'll describe one site where you have a good chance of seeing this iconic species in Andalucia.…..

Attachments

• Great Bustard map.jpg
    Great Bustard map.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Having 'got to grips with' Little Bustard in the area around Alcala de los Gazules (see post 53) this spring, Great Bustard was my major target for the summer even if this meant cheating and looking outside Cadiz province. Clearly, with the nearest decent population to be found in the plains in the vicinity of Arahal, Osuna and La Lantejuela (i.e. about two and a half hours' drive from Alcala), this was where I headed.

This is an area I've looked in half a dozen times before, but with no success. My failure here was partly because I tried to do it en route to Alcala when arriving at Seville airport, but also as mostly I've looked with people for whom Great Bustard was a lifer! All too often I've been searching in the late afternoon, not the optimum time to look, but determined by the timing of flights into Seville. This time I was determined to look earlier in the morning – in spring Little Bustards here had been particularly active. Fortunately, this year I was meeting my daughter in Cordoba so an early morning departure from Alcala was planned and a detour (not too much of one either) to Osuna was plotted.

Since I'd heard most reports from a minor road running along the railway west from Osuna, this was where I headed. Taking exit 80 just west of Osuna, I turned north as I came to the end of the slip road onto the minor road which runs along the side of a s mall venta (near a Repsol petrol station). This is a poorly marked junction so if uncertain just make sure you head round the eastern side of a newly laid out small industrial estate. At first you drive through olive groves. The road follows the Seville-Granada railway line, but after a few kilometres the new fast AVE line comes sweeping in from the south. This new fast line then runs paralell to the older track towards Seville, but unlike for the original, dusty level crossings are considered unsafe. Conveniently, a series of ramps and bridges, each offering panoramic views across the area, have now been built to cross this line. (Hopefully, as the bustards have grown accustomed to the old line this new fast service, open in 2012 shouldn't disturb them too much). Although bustards can be seen along both the A 407 and A351 (north of Osuna) looking here is by far the better option. The quietness of this road allows you to pull over where you please and these new viewpoints greatly improve your chances of spotting distant birds.

For an explanation of the (a), (b), etc in the notes that follow see the map attached below.

I drove up to the first bridge (a) without too much hope as in the spring, I'd spent hours scanning here with bins and 'scope to no avail and, to be honest, the habitat doesn't look as good as elsewhere in this area. This time, however, I quickly picked a group of 'likely' birds with the naked eye as I drove up the ramp to the bridge. Bins rapidly unshipped, it took no more than a millisecond to realise that here was my quarry – a group of six fine Great Bustards! They were distant, but the light was perfect and good views were to be had in my 'scope. When Liz, my non-birding wife, took a peek at them she exclaimed “Wow!” To put that into context that's the first time any bird has elicited that sort of response in the 30+ years we've been married! It was Liz who as we turned to go suddenly noticed that there were now eight birds standing in the group. As no birds had flown in, this was a salutory lesson that these huge birds, when sitting down, could merge into the meagre cover. As usual here, the supporting cast was superb including Montagu's Harrier and passing Gull-billed Tern. I'd heard Little Bustard here in the spring, but several scans failed to produce a sighting. Collared Pratincole can be everywhere along this road in early summer.

Pressing on we drove a couple of km further on to the second bridge (b). Taking the track on the left that climbs and swings over both the road and railway tracks I searched the first field to the left. Here In spring I'd had several displaying and raspberry blowing Little Bustard and a few Stone Curlew, but today, there were only a couple of Monties. The far side of the bridge offers good views across ideal bustard habitat - but today nothing much was happening. (A poor track runs across the farmland here and seems to eventually connect with that running from the third bridge). I've had great views of Roller here and this species seems to be a speciality of the area.

A similar distance further on you come to a crossroads – to the left are some ruined fincas (c) and to the right a track (d) that heads off towards the A 407. The fincas have Lesser Kestrel and I've seen Montagu's here. The track splits in two after the buildings and both routes look good for bustards (though so far I've drawn a blank here). The track on the other side of the road crosses good bustard habitat. I have seen Little Bustard here plus Roller, Black-winged Kite and Stone Curlew. Naturally the whole area hosts a good range of raptors (Short-toed and Booted Eagle, etc.) and, during migration periods, stray Honey Buzzards may pass over. Check buzzards for Long-legged Buzzard which have occurred not so far away.

Back on the 'main' road, a small (but metalled) road turns off to the right neasr a sign for the 'Venta la Romera' (no longer, it seems, in business). This road again heads through excellent bustard habitat and makes a great short cut if you're heading over towards La Lantjuela. At times a temporary pools is established on the right before you reach the railway bridge – check it for Collared Pratincole, Gull-billed Tern and Black-winged Stilt. As well a Roller, this is a good route for Southern Grey Shrike, Bee-eater and, near some ruins, Spanish Sparrow. The fields beyond the A 407 are worth checking for the same birds.

Back on the original road you soon pass though rolling cereal fields before you drop down into a hollow (f). This area of temporary saline pools is the only place I've seen Black-bellied Sandgrouse in Andalucia, but I suspect I've used up both my luck and yours as I saw it from the train! (Amazingly, it flew up and flew along next to my window – not bad as it was a lifer at the time). There are fewer than 50 pairs in eastern Andalucia so I was incredibly lucky. This area, though, is good for Collared Pratincoles, wheatears, Red-rumped Swallow, Bee-eater and Roller so always worth a look. After a wet spring, large areas are flooded here attracting White Storks, Flamingo, stilts and many waders. Unfortunately, the best areas are beyond the railway line in a strictly private finca – even the most resolute twitcher might be put off trespassing here as it's a farm raising fighting bulls! A more permanent lake can be glimposed through the olive groves from the SE 720, but again this is strictly private. A track running west from the junction with the SE 720 may be worth exploring.

Attachments

• Osuna_GB_Map2.png
    Osuna_GB_Map2.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Great Bustard 1.jpg
    Great Bustard 1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
As usual John - good stuff! But I'm confused about all these references to April 2011. Given the temperatures and the fact that the days of the week equate to the date I assume you mean August! But I guess your wedding anniversary will be the trigger for sorting that! And congratulations for that; not many make it to 36 these days.

Incidentally, I am likely to be out that way in November, when, hopefully, it will have cooled somewhat. When I have a few more details I will get in touch if you don't mind - I will need plenty of advice.

Best

David

Oops -blame a senior moment - it should have been AUGUST not April!

More from my blog (which is a bit wordier and has a couple more photos):-

2.5 Cheers for Foundacion Migres!

Since it’s a ‘world class’ birding location, I spent some time this some birding along the straits of Gibraltar – specifically at the watchpoint at Cazalla. The passage here, as elsewhere along the coast, is carefully monitored by the 'Foundacion Migres' (www.fondacionmigres.org) supported by volunteers from across Europe. They produced detailed reports (in Spanish) giving details of the migration and analysing the figures so painstakingly collected. All good stuff and yet ....... To be honest, with the honourable exception of some (usually Scandinavian) volunteers, I've often felt someting of an unwanted interloper when I've arrived at 'official' watchpoints. When I've left it's felt like I'm slinking away rather than saying 'Cheerio!' to like-minded enthusiasts (as it should be). Now, to be fair, to a great degree the fault is mine as I don't speak Spanish and, of course, the watchers do have a serious job to do. Even so, it's always seemed to me that the absence of even the most rudimentary 'whiteboard' detailing recent (or even current) movements has typified the attitude that, somehow, visiting birders are a nuisance to be endured. Surely, I've argued with the more friendly types, some sort of effort to inform or educate wouldn't be too hard to organise! Yes, I know their work is 'pure science' and above such petty populism, but without public support where would conservation be?

So imagine my delight when I rolled up to the watchpoint at Cazalla and found a new white board proudly standing in the sun and detailing yesterday's sightings and giving the 10 year averages for the main migrant species. Better still, weren't those volunteers just a little more friendly? They even waved 'good-bye' as we left! To cap it all, now that I'm back home, I find that they've set up an excellent daily blog (http://datosmigres.blogspot.com) to give regular updates about what's happening. It's in English and Spanish too! It's just a pity that the main 'Migres' website doesn't seem to have a link to this welcome new venture. (To be honest it might have, between its lousy design and my linguistic incompetence, I couldn't find one).

Things are looking up in other ways too. All hope may be lost for the 'white elephant' across the road at Cazalla - an expensive purpose built watchpoint/cafe that somebody forget to organise water for or safe access to - but February this year work was due to start on a new centre here. Political, technological and, in all likelihood, financial considerations have ousted the army from one of its old coastal batteries just below the Trafico watchpoint (SW 13.1 if you have my notes) and the buildings are being converted into an international study centre on migration. I would be delighted if this 'internationalism' extended to having their website (and other materials) in English, but that probably reflects more badly on me than on them. Either way let's hope it'll have room for birdwatchers like me whose interest in birds is more aesthetic than scientific. Let's hope too that there will be some money left in the pot to resource a modest information/education centre at the Mirador del Estrecho. It'd be a shame if all those 'ordinary' tourists - from many countries and with varying levels of interest - were left out of the equation. You don't have to stand there long to hear gasps of delight as the great kettles of birds glide south. They don't need much - little more than a few notice boards and someone to offer a handy 'scope and tell them something about the birds that they so obviously instinctively admire. After all, directly or indirectly, most of them probably helped to pay for the new centre. So it's only 2.5 cheers for the moment - let's hope that when the centre opens they'll have earnt all three!

Attachments

• cazalla2.jpg
    cazalla2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hi John,

I know what you mean about the Migres volunteera appearing to be stand-offish, I thought the same in the past, but this past week and I half I've been spending a lot of time at Algarrobo and I've been getting on well with several of the Migres staff and some of the volunteers (notably a very friendly Pole). I think the perceived problem may be due to shyness, not aloofness. Many of the volunteers there appear to be on a steep learning curve.

While I was sitting at Algarrobo this morning there was a good movement after several quiet days. sadly the white-backed vulture from yesterday failed to show before we gave up. We were sitting next to a couple of young female volunteers helping with the migration count and throughout the morning they were asking their mentor to confirm their identifications of booted and short-toed eagles. As the morning went on they seemed to be getting more of the hang of it.

So I don't think they are being unfriendly - just shy maybe.

Hi John,

I know what you mean about the Migres volunteera appearing to be stand-offish, I thought the same in the past, but this past week and I half I've been spending a lot of time at Algarrobo and I've been getting on well with several of the Migres staff and some of the volunteers (notably a very friendly Pole). I think the perceived problem may be due to shyness, not aloofness. Many of the volunteers there appear to be on a steep learning curve.

While I was sitting at Algarrobo this morning there was a good movement after several quiet days. sadly the white-backed vulture from yesterday failed to show before we gave up. We were sitting next to a couple of young female volunteers helping with the migration count and throughout the morning they were asking their mentor to confirm their identifications of booted and short-toed eagles. As the morning went on they seemed to be getting more of the hang of it.

So I don't think they are being unfriendly - just shy maybe.

Could be the same Pole I met at Bolonia last year, where the Spanish Migres people were very friendly and forthcoming.

White-backed Vulture, S************t!!!!

Some of the volunteers do seem to be novices, but others are excellent. I'm sure too that the crew this year seemed a bit more friendly than I've found previously. You may well be right that shyness, rather than aloofness, plus my inbility to gabble away in Spanish is the problem. I'm sure too that being around for several days helps,

Could be the same Pole I met at Bolonia last year, where the Spanish Migres people were very friendly and forthcoming.

White-backed Vulture, S************t!!!!

Don't think it's the same Pole, Jon. He said this was his first trip.

I had a rapid reaction while I was with him. A rufous bushchat started singing. Then he answered his phone and it stopped. Bugger.

It was just punishment for me. A few days before I had almost the whole collection of observers in a state of panic when they heard a Scops owl calling. They settled down when I showed them my phone.

I left about three quarters of an hour before the White-backed Vulture was spotted a short distance away (between Algarrobo and Pelayo - only a kilometre or so). I'm maddened by the fact that half an hour before I left, while checking out some vultures that were passing close by for Ruppells (one of them was) that i remarked that one of the group was by far the palest griffon I'd ever seen. Strangely, when I mentioned the sighting to the volunteers at Algarrobo this morning, they seemed geniunely unaware of it.

I'll be doing a rescue on my camera card to check out the images I deleted last night before I heard about the Mega.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back