• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aberrant Great Tit (1 Viewer)

Upekkha

Hi,

I came across this aberrant great tit at a local reserve last year and managed to get an ok shot of it. At the time I didn't have a clue what it was, so sent it off to the BTO for an ID. They got back to me stating that it was a great tit (I originally thought it was some sort of blue tit) with slight melanism.

I can't seem to find much info online about this, can anyone shed any light on this please? Thanks in advance

Dave

Attachments

• DSC_0025-021.jpg
    DSC_0025-021.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0032-010.jpg
    DSC_0032-010.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 156
That's so interesting Dave - I've not seen a picture of a Great Tit like this.

The Opus Dictionary has some information about melanism, with links to other colour variations, which you might find interesting.

It seems to be a very complex subject!

Striking photo. Seems to me that your bird is more than "slightly" melanistic. ;)
Did a little googling and came up with this--

http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gbw/about/background/projects/plumage/results/species_types

Compared to leucism, melanism appears to be a quite rare condition in British birds with Great Tit about halfway down the frequency list of plumage abnormalities of all kinds.

Thanks a lot for that, it would appear that I didn't look very hard did I?!! Interesting reading....I must admit I've seen a few birds in my garden with some form of slight plumage abnormality but never to that extent.

Dave

The Opus Dictionary has some information about melanism, with links to other colour variations, which you might find interesting.

Thanks for that Delia, it all makes for an interesting read & I've learnt something today!

Dave

Hi Delia

The things that you find out - so interesting!

We hear lots about 'white' feathering (albino) which can be obscure, but rarely black feathering in birds

We live and learn ;)

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back