• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for seeing/finding owls? (1 Viewer)

sedghizu

Are there any tips for finding owls? Do they typically hole up in a particular part of a tree (branching point? or dead trees?)? Is there a good time of day (dawn/dusk/night)?

I can hear them nearby, but I haven't been able to spot one. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Are there any tips for finding owls? Do they typically hole up in a particular part of a tree (branching point? or dead trees?)? Is there a good time of day (dawn/dusk/night)?

I can hear them nearby, but I haven't been able to spot one. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

It really depends on the species and whether they're roosting, nesting, or hunting. For example, long-eared owls tend to roost close to the trunks of evergreens, because it gives them camouflage. OTOH, I've seen some larger species perch on lamp posts because it gives them a good hunting perch away from ground-based predators.

Many species will nest in hollow trees, so this time of year that's a good place to start looking. (Also look for old barns and similar structures.) Pick a likely hole and watch it patiently as night falls. Best to ID your neighboring species by voice first, so you know how big a nest to look for.

My recent owl sightings have been in the middle of the night while I was walking in the woods on other business. The owl swooped from behind, over my shoulder and plucked a rodent off the trail in front of me. A completely silent ghost suddenly materializing a few inches in front of your face is quite a startling experience, comparable to almost stepping on a grouse on a sleepy morning.

In the breeding season, another good owl finding tactic is to check out trees for old crow and hawk nests. This works particularly well with Great Horned Owls who being at the top of the food chain make little attempt at concealment and whose bulky forms are easily spotted on or off the nest, especially early in the season before the leaves are fully out. In any halfway decent riparian habitat in Nevada, one's almost guaranteed finding a Great Horned Owl nest or two by this means in a few hours.

Last edited:
I would identify what I'm hearing then apply the knowledge of what is to what they are known to do.

What I mean is each of the owls are different - where they nest, when they call, when they hunt, where they hunt, where they roost etc. Weather can also have a bearing. Used to find Tawny Owls in roadside trees when it was raining - I guess they have learnt that as the best hunting area in that weather(?).
Eagle Owls tend to come out before dusk. The 30 mins or so before is the easiest to find them, generally, perched out somewhere.
Tengmalms 'hole' up during the day - some people 'scratch' the tree where their nest is to get a reaction.
Great Grey, if you're in the right area, can be fairly easy to locate - their size coupled with the fact that they effectively nest in the open and not in a cave or hole.

Anyway, you get the drift. Bear in mind that usually after a mate is found the owls tend to call less. Depending on the owl this may have happened already so the next 'noisy' period will be when the chicks are getting close to fledging eg Eagle Owls have pretty much done there business now so are quiet.

Last but not least take a big torch with you...

When I was younger growing up in England I used seek out tawny owls in the local woods, especially in late summer, early autumn when young birds are vying for territories. They are pretty vocal at this time, so are not hard to locate, but a good torch is required if it is too dark. I used to be able to do a decent imitation [ well I thought I did ] of their calls and this was a great way to stir up their inquisitiveness as sometimes they would seek you out looking for the 'rogue owl'. It always fascinated me watching them bob and weave their heads from side to side trying to locate me.

Be aware though that some owls are quite aggressive around their breeding areas [ in Europe tawnies are one of them ] so don't linger too long if you find a nesting site and keep a good distance.

Owl watching is a great experience. They are my favourite type of bird.

Si.

Don't do what I do! I'm at 597 on my life list and I still have no owls.

Things I have done to try and see any kind of owl whatsoever:

-Tried dusk/night walking in areas they are reported.
-Checking supposed roosting sites.
-Followed up sightings.

So don't do any of those, and you probably have a better chance than me.

I love OWLS! One time I was sitting on the side of road in my car & saw an owl picked off a mouse by the road & I've been in love with them since.

I have an owl in the neighborhood that I hear hooting late at night in search of prey. Awesome sound!

It is a bit diffucult to give tips to different habitat

Long ago I written down advice on finding owls. I am citing it now. Enjoy it, but if anybody wants to re-print it, please cite me as an author.

"FINDING AND WATCHING OWLS

Most desired are daytime views, when owls roost, camouflaged, in tree hollow or rock crack, dense tree foliage, or pressed against tree trunk. One can narrow down a place where owls are heard at night. Old tree or patch of dense conifers are good candidates to scan patiently from distance to locate a camouflaged owl. Search for guano and pellets – balls of fur and bones spat out by owls (and many other birds). Roosts are also sometimes discovered by alarm calls and mobbing by songbirds or corvids – check such unexpected noise. Be very careful not to disturb a nest site, and remember that owls see well at daytime.

During casual observation at night, keep noise to minimum, esp. stay away from shuffling dry leaves or bushes. When using torch, shine to the side and bring it slowly to the owl. This makes it less likely to flush. Avoid shining at anything but an owl, especially your fingers or your colleagues. Note that an owl in bright light can look surprisingly pale with distorted contrasts.

Day birds flushed at night have slow, cautious flight and can be mistaken for an owl, eg. Red-tailed Hawk for a big species or a grackle for a small owl. Coots, rails, woodcock, many other waders, ducks, herons and nightjars are frequently active at night. They and their calls, as well as sounds of various mammals can be mistaken for an owl.

Owls are best located at sunset by calls. Be aware of variation of calls of each species. Remember also that owl at night is usually afraid of man.

Best observed are grown chicks after leaving the nest in late spring or summer. They are not shy and often call continuously. However, stay around only for a short time as parent owls are afraid and will stop feeding chicks in human presence."

Last edited:
Well thanks everyone! I've definitely had an owl flyby at night, but it's never been long enough for me to get a proper look. What i really want is a quality picture.

I can hear one calling at night. I'll try to lock down it's location and then take a look during the day and see what I can discover.

I just wanted to reinforce one of Jurek's pointers (all good advice) - specifically, the one about listening for mobbing crows, etc.

I haven't found very many owls on my own, maybe a few dozen individuals; of those, I would guess that at least half of these have been indicated to me by the the behaviour of another bird species. In most cases, I wouldn't have has a clue that the owl was there, without this aid.

Usually, the size of the "mobber" gives a fair indication of the species of the "mobbee". Of course this depends very much on context, but here in Ontario, I've several times been led to Great Horned by the ruckus put up by American Crows, and on one memorable occasion, found a N. Saw-whet thanks to some very agitated Golden-Crowned Kinglets!

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back