• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss decal fell off my Terra ED bins (1 Viewer)

brian0918

I bought a pair of Terra ED 8x42 brand new from Gander Mountain less than 2 months ago. Sometime during a hike, the blue "ZEISS" decal on the top of the binoculars must have come off. It looks like it was only held on with double-sided tape! I have been very careful with these binoculars, so I can only imagine that the heat from being in a car melted the adhesive, and something bumped it. I don't know where it fell off, so I can't just glue it back on.

Can I get a replacement decal, or will I have to send the binoculars in for service/repair?

What is the turnaround time like on repair? I go out bird-watching almost every morning and can't be without my binoculars!

I bought a pair of Terra ED 8x42 brand new from Gander Mountain less than 2 months ago. Sometime during a hike, the blue "ZEISS" decal on the top of the binoculars must have come off. It looks like it was only held on with double-sided tape! I have been very careful with these binoculars, so I can only imagine that the heat from being in a car melted the adhesive, and something bumped it. I don't know where it fell off, so I can't just glue it back on.

Can I get a replacement decal, or will I have to send the binoculars in for service/repair?

What is the turnaround time like on repair? I go out bird-watching almost every morning and can't be without my binoculars!

Hopefully, they will send you one without you sending it in. Send them an email and see.

Zeiss wil be able to answer your questions, and will be the final authority when it comes to what they will or will not do. 1.800.441.3005.

I have talked to them once before. They seemed pretty reasonable.......

Thanks, will do. I was kinda wondering if anyone else has had this experience. This was a real let-down. I know it's made in China but I was hoping to get at least a year out of these before they fall apart.

I once had a scratch on my decal. I decided to keep scratching until I got all the blue off.

So I had a silver Zeiss logo ;-)

When I sent them to Zeiss for a bent hinge some years ago, they replaced the decal without cost. I guess they won't charge you anything, but to save on shipping costs, this seems to be something your local dealer could fix.

Mine fell off my 8x42 about a year after I got it. I never tried to replace it. Binocular still works fine. I think this happens enough times for Zeiss America to keep a box full of these Decals at their USA headquarters so they can send one out to any registered owner who lost theirs as a good will gesture.

Bob

Last edited:
This happened to a Terra 10X42 of mine shortly after it was delivered by UPS last summer on a 110+ F day by UPS. There are a couple of other posts reporting this.

Just like you I called Zeiss and they sent me a new emblem right away. I was told they were aware of the issue with the adhesive and it was being fixed.

The replacement emblem appears to be metal (as does the original) and it does not have any adhesive on the back side. It is up to you to decide what to use. If you use CA (super glue) like I did, then be very careful to use just a small amount. I used a little to much and it got on some of the blue coloring on the top side and dissolved part of it. It looks ok, but it is not right. In the meantime I found the original that fell off and can use it but I have not decided out the best way to remove the one on there now or the best way to glue the original emblem back on.

Here is a post from March on the topic, starting with post number 223. James responses in post number 224.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3363453#post3363453

Please post back with what you used for an adhesive and how it worked .

Zeiss Customer Service was great about the whole deal and a Zeiss person at a show told be to send the unit in if I would like them to replace the emblem and they would be glad to take care of it.

The decal fell off my Nikon (is it alright to say that on this sub forum? ;) ) HGs but fortunately I didn't lose it. I super glued it back on but as previous poster says, don't overdo the glue.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back