• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Straps. What's the best? (1 Viewer)

remove the strap altogether and connect to the shoulder straps of one of my day packs which have compatible fasteners attached

Now this, I feel, goes beyond the strap issue in the way that this solution adresses the weight problem of binoculars head on. As I'm convinced that increased optical quality is strongly connected to more weight (more glass, bigger prisms) we often tend to except compromises we'd rather like to avoid. This Forum is loaded with tears and fears and other complaints about weighty binoculars, to the point where a pair of binoculars going beyond a kilo or 2 lbs is regarded as a weird, stone age kind of instrument. Well, it isn't. I mean, it shouldn't.
A rucksack! I wonder, has this great idea ever been mentioned before in the hundreds of threads about straps, harnasses, weight, bulk, aches and pain? I'm too lazy to find out, excuse me, but I'm grateful it has come up here. Thanks Kevin.
BTW, as not all day packs come with the fasteners you mention, I'd be delighted to hear about DIY solutions.

Renze

Last edited:
As I'm convinced that increased optical quality is strongly connected to more weight (more glass, bigger prisms) we often tend to except compromises we'd rather like to avoid.

Good point - the olde Trinovid is rather heavy, but I like it as it has a feeling of a quality optical instrument. It should be heavy. I want 10x50 Trinovid!! ;)

You need a good strap... The stock Trinovid strap is not so good. Too short, for one.

Good point - the olde Trinovid is rather heavy, but I like it as it has a feeling of a quality optical instrument. ...............

You need a good strap... The stock Trinovid strap is not so good. Too short, for one.

Disagree there! The strap on my 7 x 42 Trinovid is plenty long enough and quite comfortable. I'm 6'0" tall and wear "long" tailored shirts and jackets too.
Cordially,
Bob

Renze,

Though I've used this set up for a few years now, I'm sure it wasn't an original idea. There are two others on this very thread that make mention of it.

To your questions. Most backpacks (rucksacks) have webbing over the shoulder pads that are periodically stitched to the padding section.
Simply use a split ring to attach to the webbing above one of these stitched areas. Use whatever combination of fasteners you like and are available to you to complete the rig.

In the pictures below I show the least likely of my packs to be rigged this way. The other two have what's called a daisy chain that follows the top of the shoulder pads and are design to attach various things to them.

Hope this helps ;^)

Attachments

• PackStrap 1.jpg
    PackStrap 1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 330
  • PackStrap2.jpg
    PackStrap2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 387
Alright, alright. Here's my two cents:

The "gripper", by domke. All 11 of my bins, and all 35mm format cameras (film and digital) have been retrofitted with this strap. See below, for varying widths and subtle design features. Make it as long, or as short, as you like. Choose from different widths for the neck portion. Colors, too!. I've even added a "Billingham Shoulder pad" to some for optional increased support for heavier items (e.g., Duovids).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

It's a tough, no-nonsense product. And no freakin' day-glo logo to announce your membership in the nerd patrol.

Last edited:
Alright, alright. Here's my two cents:

The "gripper", by domke. All 11 of my bins, and all 35mm format cameras (film and digital) have been retrofitted with this strap. See below, for varying widths and subtle design features. Make it as long, or as short, as you like. Choose from different widths for the neck portion. Colors, too!. I've even added a "Billingham Shoulder pad" to some for optional increased support for heavier items (e.g., Duovids).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

It's a tough, no-nonsense product. And no freakin' day-glo logo to announce your membership in the nerd patrol.

I've been wondering when someone would recommend these straps. I've got my Nikon SE's and EII's set up with the 1 inch diameter gripper straps that have the Swivels. These straps are all about 10 years old too.:t:
Bob

I've been wondering when someone would recommend these straps. I've got my Nikon SE's and EII's set up with the 1 inch diameter gripper straps that have the Swivels. These straps are all about 10 years old too.:t:
Bob

What's the advantage over any other strap?

Henry,

I've had a kind of Zeiss-strap with a single row of air cells, or air cushions, before I sold my FL's. Looks like the one presented in your link is an advanced, two row model. My impressions of the single-row air cell strap were very favourable, it is as comfortable as a good neoprene strap without the sweat issue. I always wear the strap over a collar, but on hot days the difference between a neoprene strap and the air cell Zeiss strap was noticeable, in favour of the Zeiss strap. The contoured air bubbles allow for air to pass underneath to drain off sweat while still forming a padded neckpiece.

Regards, Ronald

Thanks Ronald. I don't like wide neoprene straps in the summer so I think I will give the new Zeiss air cell strap a try. I contacted Zeiss yesterday about it and was told it won't be available in the US for another 7-8 weeks.

Henry

Kevin (and Zwalker and Rozinante!),

Good reading is not my forte I believe. Thanks to you all for the rucksack rig. Looks good too. Why haven't I thought of it before? It was right under my nose, I mean on my back.

Renze

Is Leicas strap still the best? And how is the Zen Ed strap?

The strap comes with my ZEN ED is little too long with quickconnect. I follow ZR's suggestion to remove the QC and it worked fine for me. Looks like they have shortened the neckstrap on ZEN ED2. Only those who ordered the ED2 will find out.

I’ve found that OP/TECH USA’s Pro Strap, with its 3.0” strap heavily padded with neoprene, is extremely effective at dissipating the stress induced by carrying ponderous, large-aperture binoculars with 50mm or larger objectives lenses over the course of a long day in the field. This particular strap has worked very well with my Zeiss 8x56 Victory FL series binoculars.

While I can’t speak from photographic experience, I should think that this strap would also perform admirably attached to a bulky digital DSLR camera with a telephoto lens.

This product is available through the web links given below:

www.rue.com

www.adorama.com

www.Amazon.com/Electronics

CE

I’ve found that OP/TECH USA’s Pro Strap, with its 3.0” strap heavily padded with neoprene, is extremely effective at dissipating the stress induced by carrying ponderous, large-aperture binoculars with 50mm or larger objectives lenses over the course of a long day in the field. This particular strap has worked very well with my Zeiss 8x56 Victory FL series binoculars.

I just got me that same strap for my big Canon 18x50 IS's and it's doing pretty well. Other OP/TECH straps didn't work as well, too little padding in the neck area.
They are fitted with quick release clips so I might have a go with the rucksack rig described above as well. Seems the best way to carry them for longer periods.

Regards, Ronald

Ronald (and others),

I may add that with the rucksack rig one needs a strap as well, notably for those occasions/moments when one puts down the rucksack. Because suddenly you can't carry your binoculars anymore! At least not handsfree. The strap can be simple and inexpensive: just make it yourself, using quick release clips of course.

BTW, to me the rucksack rig is really superb. Considerations about weight are suddenly gone so you can go for the best, optically least compromised handheld binoculars available. For instance, I now work with a 1220 grams Zeiss 8x56 FL, which I certainly wouldn't have considered for use on a neckstrap.

Renze

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back