• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern India (1 Viewer)

tony.saw

A few unknowns for which I require conformation.
1 )Taken in Kerala Greenish or Blyth's (or neither!)
2) Taken in Kerala
3) Taken in Munnyar
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

• 1108 Greenish or Blyth's.jpg
    1108 Greenish or Blyth's.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 1232 Unknown.jpg
    1232 Unknown.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 1574 Unknown.jpg
    1574 Unknown.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 106
I'm thinking perhaps Arctic Warbler for image 1?, an Acro sp for Image 2? And I haven't a clue for 3.

Cheers

1 is not an Arctic, supercilium meets the bill, lower mandible not dark-tipped. Neither Arctic or Blyth's have been recorded AFAIK in Kerala.

1 is not an Arctic, supercilium meets the bill, lower mandible not dark-tipped. Neither Arctic or Blyth's have been recorded AFAIK in Kerala.

The first image is of a Phylloscopus Warbler, it appears to have a wing-bar, it certainly looks "bigger" than smaller, and looks somewhat attenuated?

Having trawled P.borealis images on the web, I have found a good number whereby the supercillium appears to meet the bill base, regarding the requisite "dark tip" to the bill, I found this also lacking on many AW images, as I found not present on two Blyth's Reed Warblers that I have encountered, presumably this is not a "fail safe" feature?

Irrespective of AW. never knowingly having occured in Kerala....what other options are there?

Cheers

I think 1 could very well be a Greenish Warber. Kind of typical typical large-eyed impresssion and all pale lower mandile. In addition I guess this species should be rather common in Kerala.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back