• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

porro vs reverse porro (1 Viewer)

SPARTACVS

Is there any disavantage of reverse porro over porro? Less 3D perception? Because technically, the advantages, disavantages over roof should be the same.

Hello Spartacus,

Yes, less stereo effect, they actually flatten the view more than roof glasses.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Is there any disavantage of reverse porro over porro? Less 3D perception? Because technically, the advantages, disavantages over roof should be the same.

On the other hand, the reverse porro is great for following an insect with an erratic flight, such as a butterfly or moth. Following these with a regular porro or roof, can easily give you a headache.

...Bob
Kentucky

Ah, didn't expect that but it's logical.

Hello Spartacus,

The prismatic binocular's first advantage is that it allows for a greater FOV than a galilean field glass; the second is that folds the light path, making for shorter telescopes. Zeiss received its original patent for placing the objectives farther apart than the eyepieces, providing a stereo effect. However, in the 1920's Leitz and Zeiss both put out reverse Porro binoculars of low power. Unlike opera glasses they provided a wide field of view and were supposed to make viewing theatre with painted backdrops more realistic.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Among my binoculars i have 2 reverse porroprism ones, both for me are special purpose ones.

Bausch & Lomb Audubon Custom 7x26 (now called the Bushnell Elite 7x26).
Arguably (and in independent reviews) the best compact around, optically.

Pentax Papilio 8.5x21.
Use these for insects, primarily ants. focus to 18 inches. At closest focus they actually hit 10x. Outstanding (well, unique, no competition yet) binocular field magnifier. Very poor at normal viewing distances, in my experience.

Like both.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back