• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hiking in Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Green Man

Hi everyone!
We are off on a weeks hiking holiday in Cornwall tomorrow (please don't rain). We are going from Redruth to penzance via Lands End following the South West Coastal path. Just wondered if anyone is from that area or has recently visited and can give us an idea of what we are likely to see.

Green Man said:
Hi everyone!
We are off on a weeks hiking holiday in Cornwall tomorrow (please don't rain). We are going from Redruth to penzance via Lands End following the South West Coastal path. Just wondered if anyone is from that area or has recently visited and can give us an idea of what we are likely to see.

Hi Green Man and welcome to BirdForum. I walked that part of the SW Coastal path a few years ago, before I became interested in birds. From my experience, you're likely to be too knackered most of the time to notice birds! The scenery is superb, but it's a strenuous walk - mile for mile, harder than the Pennine Way in my opinion. Have a great time and I'm sure someone will be on soon to give you the information about the birds.

Hi Green Man,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

It's a while since I have been to Cornwall so I am sure there are people better able to help.

Harder than the pennine way!! My god.... I walked that when i was 16 and it tried very hard to kill me.
Wish me luck and I will report my sightings when I get back, or when I get out of casualty, whichever is first.
|:d|

Green Man said:
Hi everyone!

Given the time of year, you're in with a chance of some migrants, especially in the valleys. Given the order of the place names you mention, I'm assuming you're going anticlockwise, so heading up to Portreath then west?

The North Cliffs won't be much cop for migrants, but you should stand a good chance of Raven and Peregrine, plus masses of acrobatic Jackdaws. Hell's Mouth is always impressive for the scenery alone, and the massively reinforced fencing to stop the depressed from driving over the edge. Keep an eye out for seals below as you walk the north coast. The migrant action will (weather permitting) start to hot up in the western valleys, and continue round the south coast. Make a point of checking out Nanjizal valley - it's a great spot with buckets of potential for a big rarity.

Wishing you a great holiday. Give the place my regards! ;)

Jon

Green Man

Blimey, a bit of a trek! There are lots of places you should see birds in the area. Close to Redruth you've Tehidy Woods which have lakes etc in them; there's the usual woodland species, including all three wooodpeckers, nuthatch, treecreepers, etc.

On the coast between Portreath and Hayle you've got Godrevy Point which has turned up some good seawatching and the occasional rarity. There's also a colony of seals there.

Hayle estuary is one of the best places to see ducks, waders, and so on. There's been an osprey sighted here in the last couple of days.

Further west there's St Ives Head, a premier sea-watching spot. Great shearwater, sabine's gull, grey phalarope and leach's petrel have been seen regularly in the past at this time of year.

Pendeen in similar but the views of birds tend to be more distant.

The whole of the coast has peregrines.

And if you're dead lucky you might see dotterel at Land's End Airfield.

Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Gus

Thanks a lot people! Just the sort of info I was looking for. Can't wait to get started now.
Yes CornishExile, camping at Camborne tomorrow night and then heading for Portreath and beyond starting Sunday morning. We are heading for Penzance, but if the birds (or the terrain) slows us down, then so be it. We are hardy hikers, but it is not a race. We intend to take in as much as possible of everything the local flaura & fauna has to offer and enjoy ourselves.

Green Man said:
Thanks a lot people! Just the sort of info I was looking for. Can't wait to get started now.
Yes CornishExile, camping at Camborne tomorrow night and then heading for Portreath and beyond starting Sunday morning. We are heading for Penzance, but if the birds (or the terrain) slows us down, then so be it. We are hardy hikers, but it is not a race. We intend to take in as much as possible of everything the local flaura & fauna has to offer and enjoy ourselves.
Don't forget the Cornish choughs.

Well we are back, and what a fantastic holiday it was too. Very hard walking but breath-taking scenery and perfect weather the whole week. Definately recommend it to anyone.
We did not unfortunately see too many species, possibly because: we were working very hard to do the walking, were busy looking where we were going as the terrain is very rocky, plus we weren't able to sit and wait as we would, as we had a lot of miles to cover.
We did however see some choughs. A pair just south of Lands End and a pair (possibly the same pair) at Boscregan near Gribba Point.

Green Man said:
Well we are back, and what a fantastic holiday it was too. Very hard walking but breath-taking scenery and perfect weather the whole week. Definately recommend it to anyone.
We did not unfortunately see too many species, possibly because: we were working very hard to do the walking, were busy looking where we were going as the terrain is very rocky, plus we weren't able to sit and wait as we would, as we had a lot of miles to cover.
We did however see some choughs. A pair just south of Lands End and a pair (possibly the same pair) at Boscregan near Gribba Point.
Welcome back, and well spotted the choughs!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back