• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hawks calling (1 Viewer)

For the past few days a pair of hawks in our area have been calling almost nonstop--we see two, and I think they are both calling, but am not sure. We notice the behavior particularly in the morning. I'm also not sure exactly what kind of hawk they are. With this information, could anyone give me an idea of what this behavior is all about? Thanks, Judy

The birds I can see fly around and seem big to be fledglings. I can't really tell if they're the ones making the noises, though. Are you suggesting that they're the parent birds?

Could be the parents, but by the time birds fledge, they are already as large as their parents. So it could just as easily be the youngsters. Their size will depend on what species they are. Perhaps check up Red-tailed Hawk or Cooper's Hawk, those are both fairly large and might be what you have.

Michael

I'm going to check with binoculars next time they're out in the open--they were perched on a big dead tree this morning. Do the parents have to teach them how to hunt? Would they still be begging for food once they're big enough to fly?

It takes quite a while for the chicks to learn the art of hunting live prey, so yes, they'll still be begging for food when they're big enough to fly.
Depending on the species, the parents may present them with live prey to hone their skills on, but you'll soon see the fledglings sparring with each other in the air, learning the skills vital to their survival.

They haven't come back to the open tree perch this afternoon--maybe they know I'm watching with the binoculars--(grin). How can the fledglings be larger than the adults--do they later get smaller??

hawks gone today

Our hawks have been quiet today--or they're not in our immediate area. I hope they return so I can finally get a look at them through the binoculars. Thanks to all the people who answered my question of yesterday.

Judy Warner

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back