• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A great day for a newbie (1 Viewer)

Bruce B

Birdaholic
I saw what I believe was a juvenile red tail hawk today. I walked out my back door and there he was flying along with an irritated mockingbird in tow. I had my 8X bins around my neck so I watched as he landed in a tree. The mockingbird landed not far from him and kept scolding him. I made a run for it and got my 16X bins on a tripod. He was still there when I got back and it was an awesome site for me. He got tired of being scolded by the mockingbird and flew to another tree where I watched him for a good 10 minutes. He then flew to another area where I could no longer see him. I know it's not a big deal for experienced birders but for me it was incredible. I've seen hawks flying before but I never spent time observing one through binoculars. With the 16X bins I could count the spots on his chest. What an amazing site for a newbie.

Cheers,

Bruce

What a great day, indeed, Bruce! Personally I think anytime you get long, close looks at any bird, it's exciting, I don't care how experienced you are. But especially the raptors because most of the time they're so high and/or backlit and can't be lured into the yard with a bit of seed. ;)

And don't you love how a smaller bird can chase off a large hawk?! LOL! I've seen an Anna's hummingbird pester and dive-bomb an adult red-tail until the hawk flew off, still being mobbed by the hummer!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can't wait to hear of more!

Katy Penland said:
And don't you love how a smaller bird can chase off a large hawk?! LOL! I've seen an Anna's hummingbird pester and dive-bomb an adult red-tail until the hawk flew off, still being mobbed by the hummer!

Little man syndrome I guess ;) I've noticed the mockingbirds around here are tough though. They don't take crap from any bird or anything else for that matter.

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back