• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Student Project (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I am a design student in Boston and my current assignment is to build a bird feeder. I do not know much at all about birds or birding, so this is where I need your help. The feeder must be designed for native New England birds, so any advice about these birds eating habits would be great. I want it to be both aesthetically pleasing and also very functional for bird watchers/lovers.

What would you look for if you bought a feeder?
What are the problems that you have seen with conventional feeders?
Does the color of a feeder or the material matter at all to the birds?

Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

note: the project is not to build a squirrel proof feeder.

Thank you,
Lowell

Hi there Lowell :)

Why don't you try browsing garden and bird blogs in your area. You could then ask via comments or email.

Shirl

Hi,

I am from Southern Ontario so I can give a few pointers for feeders in your area. Just my opinion of course! All those nice wooden feeders get chewed and destroyed by squirrels so they tend to be a bad investment. The ugly metal ones work just great!!!

As far as feed goes on a limited budget, find the biggest bag of black sunflower seeds and that will do the trick for most species. As you get more advanced more feeders and more variations of food work best. Internet research here is the best way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back