• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broken memory stick (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
My laptop fell on the floor, snapping my memory stick in half ontaining many many bird reports, none backed-up (lesson learnt!) :C :-C As far as I can tell the chip is intact; can anyone reccommend a good / cheap company who will recover the data?

Hi Phil How bad is the damage I have in the past soldered back the broken USB connector and recovered the data. Must be worth a go if you can use a soldering iron
Regards
John

Hi Phil How bad is the damage I have in the past soldered back the broken USB connector and recovered the data. Must be worth a go if you can use a soldering iron
Regards
John

Hi John - the connector probably could probably be soldered together; however the "board" itself is crack and bent although not broken. I have seen companies adevertising data recovery at £50-80 but have no idea of their level of success or how much damage is fatal.

Hi Phil Most recovery companies have a no data recovery no fee policy I believe. If no damage to components and if tracks on board are intact then suggest a soldering session could help.
Any chance of photos of the stick?
John

These memory sticks are pretty tough and unless it's really goosed I would think that a repair could be done.

I had one go through a wash cycle and a 30 minute spin drier session and the data as still intact and I'm still using the stick. I must add that I didn't do the wash/drier session as I have a wife for that type of thing. I did leave the stick in the pocket though.

I had one go through a wash cycle and a 30 minute spin drier session and the data as still intact and I'm still using the stick. I must add that I didn't do the wash/drier session as I have a wife for that type of thing. I did leave the stick in the pocket though.

That happened for me also. I have so far not trusted the stick with new data, but it read the old ones beautifully.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back