• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prairie Chicken and Longspur (1 Viewer)

jc122463

Hi all,
I'm up visiting MN for a little while and thought I would try to get out and do some birding with my uncle while I'm here. We're especially interested in trying to track down Prairie-chicken and Longspur. I'm based in Mpls but we were thinking about making a long weekend of it. I understand it's not the best time of year for these, but if anyone knows of a good location to try, I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Benji

Hi Benji

I was in Minnesota at the end of May this year and saw both Greater Prairie-chicken and Chestnut-collared Longspur. If you can get hold of a copy of Kim Eckert's A Birder's Guide to Minnesota it will be a big help as it has really detailed information and maps. We saw Greater Prairie-Chickens near the town of Rothsay in Wilkin County, more specifically near the Western Prairie on road 165. There is also a lek at the Rothsay Wildlife Management Area north of country road 26 although I guess the birds aren't active there at this time of year (although they'll still be in the area).
We saw several Chestnut-collared Longspurs around Felton, Clay County in the area described as "Chestnut-collared Longspur pasture" in Eckert's book. Greater Prairie-Chickens also occur in the area around Felton.
We found both areas to be great for birding, at least in late May.
Good luck.

E

Thanks for the help! Seeing them this time of year doesn't seem all that easy but it should be a good weekend out regardless!

Cheers,
Benji

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back