• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trans-Beringian migration route of NA Bluethroats (1 Viewer)

erracht

This is a question to which I've been trying to find an answer for a very long time. The Bluethroat (Luscinia svecica) is mainly an Old-World species; however it occurs marginally in Alaska and also has a presence in the Yukon. It is supposed to be one of the species that migrates across the Bering Strait in the winter. The species as a whole overwinters in North Africa and the Indian subcontinent. The thing that interests me is the precise migration route of the North American populations. I have read in older writings that it is unknown and that our Bluethroats are presumed to overwinter with the Eurasian ones. What I wanted to know was whether the route and eventual overwintering location of the North American birds has been determined since the above information (through banding, radio location or other means). Is there more precise data about this today?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back