• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird or Bino? (1 Viewer)

Wow, great stuff; if that's the view from your balcony the only thing you would need is a good pair of...eyes; even a Papilio 6x would be an overkill.....///Peter

Wow, great stuff; if that's the view from your balcony the only thing you would need is a good pair of...eyes; even a Papilio 6x would be an overkill.....///Peter

It's actually a restaurant/cafe set on a rainforest covered mountain called mt Glorious, located about 30km north/west of Brisbane. I try to get up there on weekends. Great area for birds...though, some of the bird watching takes the form of protecting your lunch from the cheeky kookaburras and magpies.

That is a great photo and story....but it seems you did not need a binocular for a close look.

Carry on.

Jerry

That is a great photo and story....but it seems you did not need a binocular for a close look.

Carry on.

Jerry

Yeah you're right, the bins had absolutely no part to play in that viewing experience, they only detracted from it...That was the point of the joke about close focus. Some of my best bird viewing has been with eyes alone. Not always possible, but great if the chance arises.

I'm not a good photographer, and I regret not focusing my iPhone on this shot properly...It could have been an ok photo...I was worried he was about to fly off any second.

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
For me it was definitely birds and then the bins. I never really liked using my Dad's binoculars that were in the house because they were big and heavy. So it wasn't until I started really actively getting into birding last year that I dipped my toes into the ocean of binoculars. That being said...I've become quite interested in them as a nerdy and technical extension of the hobby :)

For many birders, myself included, it isn't about looking at birds; it's about looking at birds through binoculars.

it took me years to figure out what i really like, birds or bins, it seems if you are not really into birding but just like to try it out, the interest in bins will wear off sooner or later, so, after ten years fiddling with over a dozen of alpha bins, I found out I actually loved glass in the begining, but now I love neither, without birding to fuel binoholic enthusiasm, it simply dissipates, just a matter of time, somtimes years, unless you are a collector of some kind, such as antique bins with a room filled with hundreds of bins from WWII.

Binoculars can be a great tool if used correctly, but poorly designed binoculars can be the source of terrible frustration.

This afternoon I experienced woeful close focus issues, this time with Zeiss (the last such occasion was with a Habicht).
Once again, it completely ruined what could have been a wonderful viewing experience.

May I humbly recommend to carry the lowly Papilio II as a sidearm erm -bin for situations like this ;-)

Joachim

Bird or Bino

To me the bird comes first and like others have mentioned before me our binos are just tools but I think an important tool to own as it makes bird watching so much easier.8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back