• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Second-tier 10x42 - Conquest or Trinovid? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I'd take the Conquests - more field (115 vs 110/1000m), better ER (18 vs. 15mm - the latter might be borderline if you need glasses) and they were not so much worse than my SEs - field a bit wider but not quite flat, of course - I certainly would like a pair for bad weather or as loaners but since I use 10x not regularily, a bad weather pair in 10x would be excessive...

Also over here in german alpha land, the Conquests are the de-facto standard for those birders not using alphas... I can count the days birding in a group when I don't see a few Conquest HDs. Trinovids seen are usually the old non-HD series or even older ones labeled Leitz.

Also the Conquest HDs seem to be really rugged as seen on some well known video site while Leica still has to recover from the polish Leica U-boat scandal ;-)

Joachim

Last edited:
I have had the Conquest 10x42 HD for several years, and have often said on here it is a very nice binocular, and a top choice in the midrange.

Zeiss has always been know for high transmission, these are very bright and are a great choice.

I have also had some time with the Leica 10x42 Trinovid HD. It is also a nice binocular but the
Zeiss Conquest is better in some ways. The brightness, is the first advantage, otherwise you need
to try these for yourself.

Jerry

Hi all

Which would you go for, and why?

Cheers
John

Hi John...
I have the previous generation Trinovid in 10X42(you can still probably find one NIB), the current generation Trinovid HD in 8X42, AND the Conquest HD 10X42. I'd have to say they are all really nice choices BUT....I'd probably pick the Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 over the others. It's a great binocular. It has the most FOV of the three, a great/precise focus adjustment, and nice bright optics.

Many thanks, Joachim, Jerry and Chuck.

I tried out a pair of Conquest 8x42 at the weekend. I was struck by their apparent near-alpha performance, particularly with brightness, field of view and lovely focuser.

I've been thinking about getting a 10x42 for occasional use, and don't want to spend out on an alpha bin, so these would seem ideal.

How do you suppose Zeiss get such a wide field of view from a 10x, and such brightness with an exit pupil of just over 4? And how do they make them in Germany for a relatively moderate price?

What manufacturing economies have they made compared with their alpha bins?

Cheers
John

What manufacturing economies have they made compared with their alpha bins?

Cheers
John

The Conquest HD:s are a "design by Zeiss" binocular but most of the components and glass are manufactured by Kamakura Japan, and probably most of the assembly to, only the final assembly is done in Germany.

I would throw the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 which is made in Japan into the ring because of its low weight and good field of view. It came out quite well in the Allbinos rankings if that means anything.

Yes, I agree - Monarch HG vs Conquest HD would be interesting - and yes, like all the non-victory series they're made by Kamakura - this time in Japan.

PS: to the o.p. there is a Victory FL 10x42 in the classifieds for roughly the cost of a new Conquest...

Joachim

Yes, I agree - Monarch HG vs Conquest HD would be interesting - and yes, like all the non-victory series they're made by Kamakura - this time in Japan.

PS: to the o.p. there is a Victory FL 10x42 in the classifieds for roughly the cost of a new Conquest...

Joachim

Thanks, just checked out the ad. Interesting, as I have a 7x42 FL. Good price, but I'm guessing import duty and carriage will add significantly to the cost.

Will check out the Monarch HGs.

Cheers
John

You should also check out the Maven and Tract Toric HD 10x42's. Both made by Kamakura of Japan like the Zeiss Conquest and I know for a fact the Tract Toric is brighter and sharper than the Zeiss Conquest HD and has better ergonomics with a slimmer body and it is cheaper at $650.00 shipped.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back