Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 23rd July 2017, 13:24   #76
rosbifs

Its further than it looks!

Snuck out of the house fairly early for the Wallcreeper 'trek' - 20 mins maybe.

It was steeper than I thought and further and took a bit longer c.1 hour to get in situ. However, almost immediate success with the male and then 2 mintues after the female - I could be back for brunch.

Feedinig was fairly frequent as with Flavien and I set a time limit of 11.00 to set off back - fatal! At about 10.45, I think the female, one of the adults seemed to be trying to entice the young out of the cavity and then yes I saw one.

I know I'll go a little higher. Then the male, female and male in the space of 15 minutes. I could see 2 chicks just coming out. Brilliant.

I thought I'd wait for one more vist - 38 minutes -WHAT! Ok one last 1h45. i should have had my feet under the table at this time - the only compensation was a pair of Alpine Accentor in the same spot....

Not the best pictures but hey...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine Acc 2.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	633968  Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine Acc.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	633969  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Adult.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	633970  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall adult 2.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	633971  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall adult 3.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	633972  

Old Sunday 23rd July 2017, 13:26   #77
rosbifs

What a great day! Not looking forward to work now....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wall chick.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	602.4 KB
ID:	633973  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall feeding time.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	633974  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall feeding time 2.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	653.4 KB
ID:	633975  
Old Sunday 23rd July 2017, 13:43   #78
dragnil

Love the flight shot - that's a belter!
Old Sunday 23rd July 2017, 13:55   #79
foresttwitcher

Agree - good stuff.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Tuesday 25th July 2017, 08:47   #80
rosbifs

After the excitment of Sunday reality returned with a shopping trip (work). Anyway, as mentioned before it does give me the oppourtunity to head down the mountain and stake out the airport and a couple of dirt tracks.

Result! A juv Woodchat Shrike popped out. Then had a little fight with a juv RB Shrike.

I have raised the question on another thread but was it coincedence that the two were together? I ask this because a couple of years ago there was a suspicion that a male RB and a female Woodchat got together, about 5 miles from here. Also, to my mind its got to be early for this fellow to be migrating or at least he can't have come far!

Anyway, whilst I got some pictures of the Woodchat I only managed a couple of the RB and none from the side or behind!

Sadlty the rest of the trip did actually involve shopping, rain, wind and not many birds although did have at least 5 Green Woodpeckers - a mixture of adult and young along the track and on the military base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RB juv.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	634173  Click image for larger version

Name:	woodchat juv 3.JPG
Size:	593.5 KB
ID:	634174  Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodchat juv.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	634175  Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodchat.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	643.6 KB
ID:	634176  
Old Wednesday 26th July 2017, 15:56   #81
rosbifs

Fledged!

Dashed up to see Wallcreeper this morning and the nest is finished for the year! Flavien was a couple of hours ahead and the birds were roundabouts. On my walk I even saw him taking pictures of the bird and could see the bird above him. However, by the time we got there nothing.

A little higher got three or four glimpses of birds (two birds at one point) but hidden from view unfortunately. Finally, a bird flew from above the 'nest' and we watched as it dissappeared in the distance. Our guess is that the fledglings weren't too far above us but hidden and the parents we still feeding again mainly hidden.

Great when planning and work pays off - for us and the birds! Roll on next year. We have already been discussing which areas we will prospect...

Alpine Accentor put in an appearance and I even thought I heard a Citril finch at one point - I know Dragnil has had them in this area!
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 15:54   #82
rosbifs

Some signs of migration today.

At Pau clocked a male Ruff, Wood Sand, another or same Black Winged Stilt as before...

On the way home I glimpsed a Shrike low in a field and quickly U-turned. Quickly preparing the camera I edged into view and there was another Woodchat. It is interesting because I had four or five sightings in this area last year - end of April and August last (actually may have been July).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ruff.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	634382  Click image for larger version

Name:	Woodchat Ossun.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	634383  
Old Thursday 27th July 2017, 22:48   #83
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

I've had a few things of note in the Morlaas area this last week. At Aigue longue there has been a nice selection of waders, including 24 common, 4 green and 1 wood sandpiper, 2 black-winged stilts, and a red-crested pochard. I didn't get a great look at the RCP but it looked fully winged and unringed.

Around Morlaas itself, I've had black-shouldered kites for the first time ever around the village on this trip. Over the weekend the place was covered in melodious warblers, with a few more blackcaps than usual, and odd other migrants such as whitethroat, and a totally unexpected western bonellis warbler.

Evidence of migration over the last few days with a few more black kites and the odd honey buzzard heading towards the mountains. Also lots of swifts doing the same.
Old Friday 28th July 2017, 06:45   #84
rosbifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Paul Scholes View Post
I've had a few things of note in the Morlaas area this last week. At Aigue longue there has been a nice selection of waders, including 24 common, 4 green and 1 wood sandpiper, 2 black-winged stilts, and a red-crested pochard. I didn't get a great look at the RCP but it looked fully winged and unringed.

Around Morlaas itself, I've had black-shouldered kites for the first time ever around the village on this trip. Over the weekend the place was covered in melodious warblers, with a few more blackcaps than usual, and odd other migrants such as whitethroat, and a totally unexpected western bonellis warbler.

Evidence of migration over the last few days with a few more black kites and the odd honey buzzard heading towards the mountains. Also lots of swifts doing the same.
Soulor had 2000 Black Kite yesterday so they are building up - plus the Black Vulture. First Storks (Black and White) have gone through and Monties Harrier.

At Ayguelongue do you go to the big lake or the small or both? I got there yesterday and realised I didn't have my bins so I stuck to the small. I only had 10 minutes spare anyway...

Red Crested Pochard is a great bird here! I will pass on...
Old Friday 28th July 2017, 12:42   #85
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

The RCP was on the big lake - an eclipse male. There's a spot on the east shore near the islands where a lot of mallards congregate, and it was with them. Awful pic here:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/64...521.1485159160
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 13:57   #86
rosbifs

Birding - at last

After some stupid days of work - 2x16 hour days I planned to get to the Soulor.

Sadly the weather wasn't kind - covered down the mountain but beautiful sunshine at the top. Birds were not climbing. That said there was a couple of resident birds - the Egyptian Vulture plus a shout went up for a Lammy and a handfull of hardy Black Kites.

Then I clocked a falcon and I was stumped. It was big so I shouted Peregrine, maybe? Fortunately, with not a lot else going on, another couple got on it and then it turned, choclate brown back - Eleanoras!!! 2nd year. Brilliant but I was torn between watching it or taking a picture (it was a long way away). I watched then tried the camera couldn't find it, watching, couldn't find it etc etc... I have to say that I was very glad to have the 'experts' there at the same time - one of which en route for Organbi really was a class act (coincidentely another EF was seen at Organbi today) - even more so as I failed to get a picture.

On the way home I passed down through the clouds and lower down the valley they disintegrated. Flocks of Black Kites!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Egyptian V 2.JPG
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	634915  Click image for larger version

Name:	Egyptian Vulture.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	634916  Click image for larger version

Name:	Grifter.JPG
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	634917  Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Kite.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	634918  
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 13:05   #87
rosbifs

Times are tough!

Not much time to get out but grabbed 20 minutes around the airport on the weekly shop.

Very quiet apart from two of these...

Should add not overly happy with the quality of the photo - the camera focussed on the telegraph pole - should have adjusted manually but I was parked in the middle of the road...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bs kite.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	636034  Click image for larger version

Name:	bs kite 2.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	636035  Click image for larger version

Name:	bs kite 3.JPG
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	636036  
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 14:47   #88
dragnil

What a bird! Not the prettiest of settings but ask it to stick around until the end of the month please.
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 15:11   #89
rosbifs

PM sent to bird
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: