Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Yesterday, 23:14   #226
elkcub

I don't know about the NYT, but it's easy enough to make a pdf file for WaPo articles, which is what I did on #222. Newspapers have the right to limit viewing online to those who pay for the privilege. IMO.

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 23:15   #227
etudiant

[quote=litebeam;3604039]Riiiiiight.
O had the majority for some time.

And Obama's brainchild was the trillion dollar stimulus monstrosity, but oh yeah, quoting the weakling..."I guess 'shovel-ready' wasn't as 'shovel-ready' as we expected"....er.....*chuckle*.

Pathetic....and his legacy.[/QUOTE

It is not good for the country when the Congress wastes its time shooting at each other rather than addressing the manifold problems we face.
Byzantium went down because its leaders were focused on getting their opponents rather than on saving the state. Hopefully we have learned from that experience.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 23:32   #228
fugl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
I don't know about the NYT, but it's easy enough to make a pdf file for WaPo articles, which is what I did on #222. Newspapers have the right to limit viewing online to those who pay for the privilege. IMO.
Sure, but I'm a subscriber and you'd think they'd want me to share articles with non-subscribers for marketing reasons. Maybe there's an implementation problem of some sort?

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Yesterday, 23:51   #229
elkcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Sure, but I'm a subscriber and you'd think they'd want me to share articles with non-subscribers for marketing reasons. Maybe there's an implementation problem of some sort?
That's my point. Being a subscriber (as I am with WaPo) shouldn't give us the right to link potentially dozens of people on BF to their website as non-paying visitors. WaPo allows downloading files in pdf form and distributing them. NYT may do the same. It only takes a little more work to do it.

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Today, 00:02   #230
fugl

Quote:
That's my point. Being a subscriber (as I am with WaPo) shouldn't give us the right to link potentially dozens of people on BF to their website as non-paying visitors. WaPo allows downloading files in pdf form and distributing them. NYT may do the same. It only takes a little more work to do it.
Not to the entire content, certainly, but to individual articles, why not, particularly in view of the pdf work-around you mention? As I've said, I would have thought small-scale sharing of this sort would be welcomed as a potential means of bringing new subscribers into the fold

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Today, 02:11   #231
elkcub

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Not to the entire content, certainly, but to individual articles, why not, particularly in view of the pdf work-around you mention? As I've said, I would have thought small-scale sharing of this sort would be welcomed as a potential means of bringing new subscribers into the fold
How would that be established? My suggestion works quite well and avoids wasting time challenging newspaper publication policies. Besides, there's a big advantage to downloading PDF files for future access.

For example, it's much easier to reconstruct historical events with PDF files than the old fashioned method of clipping newspaper articles see attachment, it's a humerus read.

Ed

Old Today, 02:19   #232
fugl

Quote:
How would that be established?
The ability to post links to individual articles to non-subscribers would be one of the privileges of the paid subscription.

I take your point about the advantages of pdfs which would remain an option. A good analogy might be text messaging vs email. I was quite scornful of the former when first introduced but am now devoted to it as just that little bit more convenient which makes all the difference.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Old Today, 04:12   #233
litebeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post

It is not good for the country when the Congress wastes its time shooting at each other rather than addressing the manifold problems we face.
Byzantium went down because its leaders were focused on getting their opponents rather than on saving the state. Hopefully we have learned from that experience.
You won't get an argument from me on that. Both sides are absolute obstructionist snakes.

Although when the country votes a man in, they usually want his policies instituted--*usually.* O'care was loathed by most all on both sides.
Trump ran on many things and some of them, like staunch immigration enforcement, are still wildly popular across party lines.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: