• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

Even if the secondaries were still growing this wouldn't affect the width of the dark trailing edge. I imagine in parks and zoo ponds hybridization is bound to happen and may the case here.

Twite.

We have very little hybridization in the zoo. I can only recall one Tufty hybrid TuftyxPochard male in all the years I am here. I think it looks pretty normal. Possibly the larger dark band on the secondaries tips looks exagerated because it appears to be eating into the white wing bar, due to its moult? Anyway I am not 100% sure so I will put it on the ID forum later and see what comes of it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Peter! I'll apologise in advance to the serious Big Guns of Wicklow for having the temerity to post Wicklow news here...(remember Birdwatch Irl. is in Wicklow, folks...;)). This morning, a family of Bewick's Swans found about a fortnight ago at Kilcoole are still in the scrub south of Webb's field. They're grazing a few metres apart from the main Whooper group.

Nice to see those Bewicks. I missed the two birds at Cruisetown Strand last week. Its interesing, birds arrive at Oxford Island in Northern Ireland. Then two birds a little further south in Louth and than 4 in Kilcoole County Wicklow, looks like maybe its part of a small movement of the species from the North east perhaps?

I had a bit of a powerhouse today in Malahide.

Here's what I saw:
Curlew
Brent Geese
Hooded Crow
Song Thrush
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Scaup
Knot
Dunlin
Black-tailed Godwit
Bar-tailed Godwit
Lapwing
Golden Plover
Greenshank
Grey Heron
Mute Swan
Cormorant (technically in Portmarnock)
Shag (same)
Greater Black-backed Gull (same)
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Mallard
Pied Wagtail
Rook
Jackdaw
Starling
Blackbird
Herring Gull
Collared Dove
Woodpigeon
Jackdaw
Oystercatcher
Redshank
Turnstone
Little Egret
Black-headed Gull

And a few highlights:
Red-breasted Merganser showing well. My first of the year.
Two Twite along the coast
A single Mediterrranean Gull feeding a small bit away from the main Gull flocks.
Two Slavonian Grebes, not on the estuary itself, but heading into Malahide Village. Get them while they're hot!

Two Twite along the coast
A single Mediterrranean Gull feeding a small bit away from the main Gull flocks.
Two Slavonian Grebes, not on the estuary itself, but heading into Malahide Village. Get them while they're hot!

Great birds! Twite is very rare in Dublin. Good to see your out and about.

Minimum of 3 Brambling at the zoo feeders today.

Hi Peter.

The concensus on the Tufted Duck seems to be that it is just that, an eclipse male. I have attached a couple of pics of eclipse males. These are closer to what I would expect to see, hence my reason for asking. As they are such nice shots (your shots) you should post them in the gallery.

Twite.

Attachments

• Tufted Duck.jpg
    Tufted Duck.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Tufted Duck (2).jpg
    Tufted Duck (2).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 207
Brambling

Minimum of 3 Brambling at the zoo feeders today.

How many can you see in this from Rog yesterday afternoon? How many species? (Taken through windscreen so apologies in advance...) 1st year Iceland Gull there also.

Couple of garden visitors attached also...

Attachments

• FinchFlock020208.jpg
    FinchFlock020208.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 152
  • BKCAP020208_1.jpg
    BKCAP020208_1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 134
  • SiskinMale4120108_2.jpg
    SiskinMale4120108_2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 132
How many can you see in this from Rog yesterday afternoon? How many species? (Taken through windscreen so apologies in advance...) 1st year Iceland Gull there also.

Couple of garden visitors attached also...

Fantastic Shots.

You have been busy. I think I can see 12 Brambling. There are some blurry orange breasts in the background. Along with Green Gold and Chaffinch.
Did I miss any?

Nice to see the sunny weather got you out!

Hi Peter.

The concensus on the Tufted Duck seems to be that it is just that, an eclipse male. I have attached a couple of pics of eclipse males. These are closer to what I would expect to see, hence my reason for asking. As they are such nice shots (your shots) you should post them in the gallery.

Twite.

Thanks for the compliment.What gallery?

I am glad you posted your query. I must look at my photos a little more carefully in future.

Hi Peter.

The Birdforum Gallery. Check the tabs at the top of the page. 2 pics per day posting limit. I've never posted any but then my pics wouldn't raise any excitement. You can also create a link to your gallery with your signature. You could even make a Dublin local patch gallery but it would probably be best to post these pics through one person to avoid breaking the 2 pics a day limit. Looking forward to seeing it.

Twite.

Peter, Found the new Dublin forum and will attempt to load a few snaps of Dub birds. New technical tricks are hard to learn at my age but bird identification is even harder.
Regards, Joe

Well if you took that photo through your windowscreen, that is excellent, what numbers of birds!! Must have been quite a sight!!

And a few more. The 1st winter male Scaup was the first for the zoo ponds. Last winter.

Attachments

• 2- Scaup.jpg
    2- Scaup.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 113
  • 2- Gull no 2.jpg
    2- Gull no 2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2- Gull no 1.jpg
    2- Gull no 1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 114
Super Moochers

When the penguin feeding ends, all hell breaks loose. Its a free for all between the Grey herons and the Black-headed Gulls

Run little guy, RUN!

Attachments

• Penginfeeding.JPG
    Penginfeeding.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 113
  • BHGulls.JPG
    BHGulls.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Herons.JPG
    Herons.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Heroneyes.JPG
    Heroneyes.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
More photos from Joe. I hope you can keep this up Joe!

Attachments

• 3- Bluetit no 1.jpg
    3- Bluetit no 1.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 3- Chaffinch no 4.jpg
    3- Chaffinch no 4.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 3- Greenfinch no 1.jpg
    3- Greenfinch no 1.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 120
Spring has sprung

It may not feel like it but spring is officially here. The herons in the sealion enclosure are back on their nest and the Collared Doves are pairing up. I hope the weather holds up for them. Last year a cold snap in February killed their chicks, just days before they were due to fledge.

Attachments

• Heronnest.JPG
    Heronnest.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 123
  • youngheron.JPG
    youngheron.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Coldove.JPG
    Coldove.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 113
  • coldove1.JPG
    coldove1.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 113
Long-tailed Tragedy

This pair of Long-tailed Tits have been nest prospecting recently, in the berberis hedge that runs along the Flamingo enclosure. 2 years ago they raised a brood less than three feet from the public path that leads past the enclosure. Last year they moved to a tree about 20 metres away and again raised a brood.Shortly after I took these shots, I saw a Sparrowhawk make a kill about 10 metres away from these trees. I have not seen the LTTs since.

I fear the worst.

I hope the next story will have a happy ending.

Attachments

• Longtailedtit1.JPG
    Longtailedtit1.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 118
  • lontailedtid2.JPG
    lontailedtid2.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back