• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keep or chuck!! (1 Viewer)

kim

Couldn't make my mind up about this one, was just taken on Skomer on a very hot day. Love it or hate it!!

Attachments

• skomer-spot.jpg
    skomer-spot.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 634
I'd be chuffed to pieces if I'd taken that. On a humorous note I like how three birds have halo-like light reflections and the apparent outsider to the right hasn't and is perhaps being shunned or feeling itself the underdog.

The distracting out-of-focus highlights ruin the photo IMO and I'd chuck it (unless, that is, you were prepared to clone them out which would only take a few minutes).

Thank you, guess I will keep the two versions, this and my cloned one. As they say ... One man's meat is another man's poison!!

I tend to take a different view on photographs, once I get to a ceiling of images I then start to compare new ones with the ones I already have. So if a new photo is better than the worst one I have then I will save it, if not then delete it!
So is this photo better than any of the ones you already have of Puffins?

Shane

I think the large group of charismatic subjects is enough to stop me being too distracted by some of the brighter sparklies, the majority of the sparklies are fine and simply indicate a watery backdrop..... but no doubt, some would be better toned down in an ideal world.

Imagine an old mirror lens taking this, doughnuts galore :) And some liked mirror lens effects.

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated...new pic.. minus halos

Attachments

• puffin-clone.jpg
    puffin-clone.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 377
with halos for me, it sets the scene, they are sea birds, live life on the crest of a wave .... so you need that in the image (IMHO)

I'd be chuffed with either, but the rain drops make it more interesting and different IMHO - without them it looks like any other very good puffin shot (if that makes sense).

I'd be more than happy with a pic as great as that regardless of how good it was from an artistic perspective, but since I've never taken a sharp photo in my life perhaps my expectations are far lower...

I'd keep the water reflections but tone them done a little.

Couldn't make my mind up about this one, was just taken on Skomer on a very hot day. Love it or hate it!!

I love this photo and the other one but what makes me really look at it, is the fact that all the Puffins are in focus. Could you tell me the settings on the camera to get such a photo.

Thankyou Shirley, the Exif data is as below
Exposure Time = 1/2000"
F Number = F6.3
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 400
8830 = 2
8832 = 400
Exif Version = 30, 32, 33, 30
Date Time Original = 2015-06-28 11:55:54
Date Time Digitized = 2015-06-28 11:55:54
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Shutter Speed Value = 11 TV
Aperture Value = 5.38 AV
Exposure Bias Value = -0.33EV
Metering Mode = Pattern (Matrix)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back