• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current best bridge camera for birds (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
What is current opinion on this topic?

I have the Canon SX50 and have been pretty pleased with it.

I have heard opinions suggesting the SX60 has some issues (eg stability of IS) and is no better than the SX50, except for the superior EVF.

On the other hand, I have heard other opinions that the SX60 is a worthwhile upgrade on the SX50 and the extra reach (1365mm vs 1200mm equivalent) is worth having for bird photography.

What is the overall consensus?

Also, does anyone think the Nikon P900 with 2000mm equiv. is better than both Canon models for bird photography?

And finally, any rumours on the replacement for the Canon SX60?

1 more for consideration the Nikon b700. I love mine super light weight massive zoom brill image stabilisation and all in a much smaller package then the p900 4k vid and for some users it shoots in RAW.

Last edited:
I have a Nikon P900, and my wife has an SX40HS. Images from the P900 are decent up to about 1400mm equivalent in decent atmospheric conditions but not much further than that. And I find it difficult to get good sharp shots hand-held beyond that 1400mm mark... The SX40 although quite a few years old now, delivers exceptional images at its full zoom (840mm). My wife had considered "stepping up" to an SX50 but decided not to...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back