• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Pheasants In the Brecks (1 Viewer)

Q@Spurn

Hello
I've searched for this subject and most threads or info date back several years so apologies for an old subject. I know about Wolferton triangle but I've seen posts recently about numerous birds still in the Brecks. I think Mr Evans has spoken of thousands (ten) at various sites but I can't ask him as a) he's blocked me, b) he's blocked everyone else c) I'm not sure if the numbers he quotes are true, and d) he'd want £140 from me regardless of a, b, and c.
Are there still regular sites in Norfolk please?
Anyone?
Thanks
Q

I saw them at each, but the last couple of times I tried Wayland Wood I clanged out (admittedly that was 10+ years ago.)

Mayday Farm usually involved walking bent double to look underneath the lowest branches of neatly lined up pine trees (or firs or spruces or whatever, I'm a birder not a botanist) to spot the little horrors scuttling from one row to the next. Hours of fun for all the family!

John

... neatly lined up pine trees (or firs or spruces or whatever, I'm a birder not a botanist) ....
Most likely Corsican Pine, that's what most of Thetford Forest is planted with.

Note that as plantations mature, the habitat changes; older plantations are probably less good for them than thicket-stage young trees 4-10 metres tall. So the best spots won't be the same now as ten years ago.

I have heard stories about Golden Pheasants in the Brecks but have not been able to find out about anywhere to try for them. There is apparently a site south of Brandon ie in Suffolk where southerners stop to see them on the way up to Norfolk. And there is a 'Breckland birder' who has mentioned them on his blog. Also references to 'north of Grime's Graves'. But when I asked NWT staff at Weeting Heath recently they said there were none in the Brecks. Maybe that is what they are told to say??

Have a look at species maps on Birdtrack or eBird. When I last checked most of the records were either old or vague.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks all.
Yes Steve, all the gen seems outdated that I can find also hence the thread.
Thanks, I'll check out the Brandon link.

From what I've heard, the way Wayland Wood is managed its no longer suitable for the Pheasants, and none have been seen for many years.
I did get one some years back north west of Thetford, but that was before the new A11 went through that area.....
Used to get them at Mayday, but haven't been there for a long time, and maybe its too disturbed being close to Centre Parks.

Last edited:
Last i heard from the regular scientific birding community based in Thetford was that no one was seeing them anymore in the Brecks, and they would quite like to know about any sightings. Apart from that, i know nothing, not having looked for them in the last 15 years!

Hello
I've searched for this subject and most threads or info date back several years so apologies for an old subject. I know about Wolferton triangle but I've seen posts recently about numerous birds still in the Brecks. I think Mr Evans has spoken of thousands (ten) at various sites but I can't ask him as a) he's blocked me, b) he's blocked everyone else c) I'm not sure if the numbers he quotes are true, and d) he'd want £140 from me regardless of a, b, and c.
Are there still regular sites in Norfolk please?
Anyone?
Thanks
Q

In case of interest:-

http://www.bubo.org/Listing/view-li...th=BOU&period=1&year=2017&type=0&spec_id=3360

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back