• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dreadful customer service (1 Viewer)

...there really shouldn't be a need for warranty service ever, if they are built right the 1st time. 40 - 50 years isn't that much to ask for something that is metal and glass.

That's what I always want to think, but I haven't found it to be the case in practice. Most of the alphas that I own have been returned for service for one reason or another, but never related to abuse (I treat my bins more gently than anyone I know who actually uses his/her bins regularly). If you do a search for past posts by me, you'll find a detailed account of some of my repair experiences, but here's a quick summary of some alphas.

Bausch & Lomb 8x42 Elite (waterproof version)
Internal fiber visible in view after a few years; substandard contrast/resolution.
Poorly repaired (flaws to rubber armor, dust and fingerprints inside) so I returned it.
Replaced under lifetime warranty at no cost (I hand delivered to repair headquarters).

Leica 8x32 BA Trinovid Ultra
Internal fiber visible in view a few weeks after purchase.
Repaired under warranty at no cost except my shipping.

Leica 8x42 Ultravid BR
Flawed coatings on one objective (had an employee's palm print in the coating!)
Repaired by Leica under warranty but with flaws to rubber armoring (my shipping cost)
Repaired by Leica under warranty but with cracks to diopter window (my shipping cost)
Repaired by Leica under warranty, finally to perfection (my shipping cost + $35 fee for service after third year since purchase. Incidentally, that is the only fee that I have ever had to pay for repair of a binocular or scope, whether alpha or not alpha (the latter repair experiences of which I am not including in this post but include 5 bins from Bushnell, 1 bin from Eagle Optics, 1 bin from Leupold, 1 bin from Meade, 3 bins from Nikon, and 2 bins from Swift) and it made Leica, which is a "luxury" brand, seem petty and ungenerous in comparison to all the other binocular makers/brands I've dealt with. I wrote a detailed hand written note and a similar e-mail to the company about this but received no reply. When I've written to Nikon or Zeiss in the past, I've also received no response. Swarovski, on the other hand, has always responded with what appeared to be genuine, informative, and personal responses to my comments or queries).

Nikon 8x40 Classic Eagle
Internal fiber in view after a year or two.
Repaired by Nikon at no cost except my shipping.

Swarovski 8x32 EL
Went out of alignment within weeks of purchase due to flawed ocular assembly.
Repaired by Swarovski at no cost except my shipping.

Swarovski 8.5x42 EL
Focus knob stiff, rubber cover of focus broke loose.
Repaired by Swarovski at no cost except my shipping.

Zeiss 8x20 Victory
Went out of alignment after a few years; grease on prism.
Replaced by Zeiss under warranty at no cost except my shipping.

Zeiss 7x42 Classic
Focus stiffened or become irregular in heat of summer several times.
Repaired by Zeiss on ~4 occasions (but never really fixed in the long run) at no cost except my shipping.

--AP

Last edited:
Why do so many people have good things to say about Swarovskis warranty? Or rather, why do so many people HAVE experience with Swarovskis warranty? I don't think its fair to say how great their warranty is without first telling us the problem that needed fixing, and judging by the number of praises for Swarovskis warranty, there were a lot of problems that needed to be fixed.

I never said anything about warranty service? Did I?
Bryce...

AP, that's a very informative post and sheds light on the subject at hand.
Thanks for providing that.

I need to go back and think really hard.

A lot of my priors were of Leupold, etc...

They usually replace glass, except for gr products.

Most of my dealings with Swaro have all been with preowned except one SLC that I have kept since new
and haven't needed service except in the beginning.

I paid shipping to get it there that's it.

I have had some upgrades done to some others and paid out of pocket.

Still the cost for improvement was pennies when you look at the difference.

Bryce...

I like good optics.
I also like good customer service.
Warranties are tricky, a lot of small print.
If I get good treatment from a company I'm likely to continue using that company.
To me its not a hard decision.
Make an excellent product and treat the customer right.
Boom, you got my business.
At the present that happens to be Swarovski.

Bryce...

What kind of good customer service did Swarovski provide you?

What kind of good customer service did Swarovski provide you?

I'll give a couple of examples though I have more.
Sent a used SLC in for inspection, nothing wrong with it. Cleaned it inside and out replaced armor,eyecups. Only paid to ship it there.
Called and offered to pay for silent rainguard on my slc's, sent me four free.
And I can add more but, I doubt it would change your mind. : )
Bryce...

I'll give a couple of examples though I have more.
Sent a used SLC in for inspection, nothing wrong with it. Cleaned it inside and out replaced armor,eyecups. Only paid to ship it there.
Called and offered to pay for silent rainguard on my slc's, sent me four free.
And I can add more but, I doubt it would change your mind. : )
Bryce...

When I sent my Trinovid to Leica to have sand cleaned out of the eyecup, they adjusted both eyecups so that they practically clicked when they were extended. They were better than when they were new. They also adjusted the tension on the focus knob so that it wasn't quite so easy to turn. It felt like they may have adjusted the gear tension, because they just seemed to mesh better. For shipping cost only. So Swarovski doesn't have a monopoly on customer service. But I don't think that will change many minds either.o:)

I've wondered the same thing - seems like a lot of people need the service, and then are pleased with the service they receive. Great, I guess, but I would prefer my warranty department to be a couple of old guys covered in cob-webs, due to lack of use......

James,

You should buy a Maytag washer or dryer. ;)

<B>

When I sent my Trinovid to Leica to have sand cleaned out of the eyecup, they adjusted both eyecups so that they practically clicked when they were extended. They were better than when they were new. They also adjusted the tension on the focus knob so that it wasn't quite so easy to turn. It felt like they may have adjusted the gear tension, because they just seemed to mesh better. For shipping cost only. So Swarovski doesn't have a monopoly on customer service. But I don't think that will change many minds either.o:)

CF,

The problem is that "many minds" have read so many horror stories about Leica's poor or at best spotty customer service/warranty service that even when good reports come in like yours, they are considered the exception rather than the rule.

Mine is a different story. I have wanted a Trinnie BN for quite some time, and when Leica came out with its Goodwill Policy, I started saving up for one. Leica's Goodwill didn't last long, though. They posted a huge loss in 2009 or 20010 of $9 million for their sports optics and camera division, and the company dropped its Goodwill Policy (which like Nikon's No Fault Policy, covered second-hand bins for repairs).

By the time my pig's feet jars were full with dollars and quarters, and a good deal came up on a BN, I would have to pay for repairs out of pocket unless I had the original Passport Warranty so I passed on buying the 8x32 BN and bought a Nikon 8x32 SE.

Some repairs are relatively inexpensive like Ron's was, but I've read others state that they paid half of what the bin cost them as they paid for repairs and in one case almost as much for the repairs as the bin cost them. I couldn't afford that. So for now, I'm sticking with Nikons.

Glad to hear you were satisfied with Leica's repair service. Over the past few years, there have been increasingly more positive reports like yours, but unfortunately, they are not consistent. For every three or more good reports, there's one horror story. Leica is still not as consistent as the other top brands when it comes to CS and repairs. By the Leica reps' own admission, the company is still trying to improve. However, I didn't buy his excuse about Leica being a small company compared to the other alphas. If they sell less bins than their competitors and make durable products, they should also be getting less bins returned for repairs so this should even out with their smaller number of repair technicians.

When and if Leica finally becomes consistent in its CS and repair service, and Leica comes out with a new top product line that enough buyers feel can compete with the latest offerings from Nikon, Swaro and Zeiss, the company's reputation for CS and repair service will hopefully turn around, and that should boost sales. While some people with deep pockets may not care about repair costs or warranties or they have been lucky with their Leicas and think its a "non-issue," it's clear from this thread and others that many buyers want friendly and reliable CS and repair service. At the price their paying for their Leicas, they deserve it.

Brock

CF,

The problem is that "many minds" have read so many horror stories about Leica's poor or at best spotty customer service/warranty service that even when good reports come in like yours, they are considered the exception rather than the rule.

Mine is a different story. I have wanted a Trinnie BN for quite some time, and when Leica came out with its Goodwill Policy, I started saving up for one. Leica's Goodwill didn't last long, though. They posted a huge loss in 2009 or 20010 of $9 million for their sports optics and camera division, and the company dropped its Goodwill Policy (which like Nikon's No Fault Policy, covered second-hand bins for repairs).

By the time my pig's feet jars were full with dollars and quarters, and a good deal came up on a BN, I would have to pay for repairs out of pocket unless I had the original Passport Warranty so I passed on buying the 8x32 BN and bought a Nikon 8x32 SE.

Some repairs are relatively inexpensive like Ron's was, but I've read others state that they paid half of what the bin cost them as they paid for repairs and in one case almost as much for the repairs as the bin cost them. I couldn't afford that. So for now, I'm sticking with Nikons.

Glad to hear you were satisfied with Leica's repair service. Over the past few years, there have been increasingly more positive reports like yours, but unfortunately, they are not consistent. For every three or more good reports, there's one horror story. Leica is still not as consistent as the other top brands when it comes to CS and repairs. By the Leica reps' own admission, the company is still trying to improve. However, I didn't buy his excuse about Leica being a small company compared to the other alphas. If they sell less bins than their competitors and make durable products, they should also be getting less bins returned for repairs so this should even out with their smaller number of repair technicians.

When and if Leica finally becomes consistent in its CS and repair service, and Leica comes out with a new top product line that enough buyers feel can compete with the latest offerings from Nikon, Swaro and Zeiss, the company's reputation for CS and repair service will hopefully turn around, and that should boost sales. While some people with deep pockets may not care about repair costs or warranties or they have been lucky with their Leicas and think its a "non-issue," it's clear from this thread and others that many buyers want friendly and reliable CS and repair service. At the price their paying for their Leicas, they deserve it.

Brock

Brock,

I'm not wealthy, but I do like to buy new binoculars. When I do, I expect service and warranty coverage to be commensurate with the price I've paid for the binocular. After owning 8 Leica binoculars, the only time I've had to use the warranty was when I had to have an eyecup cleaned that I dropped in the sand, which was done to my satisfaction, and more.

But when it comes to coverage for the person I sell the binocular to, it really doesn't concern me. That may sound cold, but I don't have any guilt feelings when I sell because I know I'm selling a binocular that has been fully field tested by me, and I have never had a problem that wasn't caused by me.

So for example, as I've posted previously, the difference in price between an Ultravid HD and comparable Swarovski EL model, in this country, is between $250 to $300. Some people think that difference is explained by Swarovision, which I assume to mean they think there's an extra few hundred dollars worth of glass in an EL compared to an HD. I tend to think that some or most of that money is paying for the more generous Swarovski warranty, which is transferable, and that's definitely a good thing for any second hand purchaser.

But there is no advantage for me in paying more for a transferable warranty unless I can recoup some of that money paid when I sell the binocular, and whether or not that can be done is questionable. We will fiind out when the EL SV's start hitting the used market en masse what the situation will be, and whether that transferable warranty will be interpreted more critically if the economy goes sour.

So of all the horror stories about Leica service, how many are from second hand buyers? Quite a few from my experience. But the deal is, Leica is under no obligation to people who buy their binoculars second hand because the original buyers never paid for that luxury. Getting special treatment is one of the perks of buying a new Leica.

Swarovski treats everyone as special, and that has really helped their image, especially among used buyers. And who has paid for that special treatment? Why, the people who paid that extra premium when they purchased their new, unused Swarovski. So I don't blame people for preferring Swarovski when they buy used, and more power to them, especially because I have no problem selling my used Leicas, transferable warranty or not.

Ibramr:

I have contacted Leica Camera AG (Germany) and requested that they send me the wording on the warranty over there. For the most part Germany has been more conservative when it comes to warranties in so far as they usually limit them to shorter periods and only to manufacturing defects. I will be sure to get back to you as soon as I know more.

Cheers

David

David,

Following on our discussion few weeks ago, I hope that there is an update from Germany regarding whether the warranty follows the binoculars in the UK (i.e, transferable) or is it like the case here in the US where it follows the owner, and therefore, not transferable.

I would also appreciate an advice from the forum members in the UK (and other European countries) regarding this point.

Thank you all, and best regards.

Swarovsky service

Years ago on this forum there was a similar thread about service and someone told of their experience with Swarovsky They had gone out and left the bins within reach of the floor, and the beloved family dog had eaten ALL of the rubber cladding off by the time they came back. The bins were sent back with an apologetic letter for having been so careless with them, hoping that something could be done, and that the bill would be less than the cost of a nice used car. A short time later (about 10 days as I recall) a box arrived from Swarovsky. Inside there was no letter, no bill, only a brand new pair of bins, along with a chewy toy!!

Assuming that this story was real (not faked by some Swarovsky exec), what a stroke of brilliance! For the cost of one pair of bins, Swaro got eternal good will and free advertising for as long as the story lives. Besides my re-telling of it, I'm sure this story has been retold many times and everyone who's heard it will remember it as well. Until I read these previous posts I'd thought that all the alpha manufacturers had very liberal "no fault" policies but now it seems that was an uninformed view. If I ever buy a pair of true alpha's, I'm pretty sure what brand I will choose.

The story in thread #172 above is "for real." I met the guy who related it to me while we were waiting for our cars to be serviced at a local Nissan dealer. I also recall that he told me he purchased it in Alaska at a discount price when he was on a hunting trip there. Some guy had previously purchased it new and brought it back a few days later to the dealer saying he didn't like it and the dealer said he couldn't sell it as a new binocular. He said it was an 8x42.

He left the binocular lying on a couch where his Labrador pup found it and chewed it up. He did get a chew bone for his dog in the package when Swarovski returned it. It did cost him postage as I recall.

Bob

I would love to tour the Swaro plant like some have.

The story above is true, and credit likely goes to Gail Fisher who for many years has headed the repair department at SONA. Here's a link to that story:

http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2008/08/swarovski-optik.html

I always enjoy watching Ben Lizda's (of Eagle Optics) video from 2013 of a little visit to SONA's headquarters. While certainly there are some slightly staged scenes here (likely just for the video's production continuity) I also get the feeling everyone involved (Dean, Gail, Clay, Mr. Wannenmacher) is genuinely friendly and receptive. I've met Ben and Clay and I was immediately impressed with both of them. GRANTED, they work in sales and marketing/communication respectively (so you might say it's their "job" to be friendly), but they are stand up guys.

Gail is featured in this video also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y42S4nhHbt0

David ..... Here is your chance. Eagle Optics is offering a tour of the mother ship planet in Absam. Sign up fast because there are only 12 openings for the June trip. Included are a factory tour, birding and more for nine days.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/articles/eo-travel/austria-tour-2016?emailid=20160126x7

Oh believe me I would love it but it's way above my price range. I am on the EO mailing list and I got that email a week or two ago. I *did* save the page should a financial miracle occur :eek!: but I'll have to settle for watching The Sound of Music with my wife to see Austria...!

I would love to tour the Swaro plant like some have.

The story above is true, and credit likely goes to Gail Fisher who for many years has headed the repair department at SONA. Here's a link to that story:

http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2008/08/swarovski-optik.html

I always enjoy watching Ben Lizda's (of Eagle Optics) video from 2013 of a little visit to SONA's headquarters. While certainly there are some slightly staged scenes here (likely just for the video's production continuity) I also get the feeling everyone involved (Dean, Gail, Clay, Mr. Wannenmacher) is genuinely friendly and receptive. I've met Ben and Clay and I was immediately impressed with both of them. GRANTED, they work in sales and marketing/communication respectively (so you might say it's their "job" to be friendly), but they are stand up guys.

Gail is featured in this video also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y42S4nhHbt0

That was a great video....thanks for bring it to our attention!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back