• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Xtend-a-view accessories (1 Viewer)

goldfinch

Hello!

I just received the mini-pro xtend-a-view for my 4500.

Looks like it's going to be a great help, especially outdoors.
The 2x lens makes viewing very nice, I can actually read the screen!

Has anyone used this item with xtend-a-view's WING II bracket?
I'm thinking of ordering one to go with this "hood". The two items
are compatible, which is why I went with xtend-a-view vs. some of
the other brands.

This bracket allows you to mount the Lcd hood on the bracket and not
the camera's Lcd; plus it also has a shutter release arm as part
of the "WING", and a threaded mounting screw.

When I eventually get a good scope, I'd like to fashion a bracket from
the scope to the camera and use this WING bracket.

Does anyone have a set up like this using the WING?

Without a scope to camera bracket, do you think the additional weight of the WING bracket plus shutter release arm hanging on the camera is a good idea? The only thing holding the camera would be the 28mm lens threads on the lens adapter.

Thanks for the imput!

Hi Goldfinch

I`ve used the wing mount & the extend a view on both the cp995 & the cp4500 with no other support bracket other than the LCE digiscoping adapter with no ill effects to the camera.
Regards Steve.

I use velcro to keep mine attached. Secure, easy to detach and no extra parts to worry about. Works great....

Hello,

Thanks for all the tips & comments!

I went ahead an ordered (and received!) .... the wing bracket and shutter
release arm.... I figured I was going to get one anyway and it does have
the advantage of also "holding" the lcd hood...

thanks again!

adapters

"....Without a scope to camera bracket, do you think the additional weight of the WING bracket plus shutter release arm hanging on the camera is a good idea? The only thing holding the camera would be the 28mm lens threads on the lens adapter."

I use velcro and so any weight considerations of a wing bracket don't affect me. But I worried about the weight of the camera being supported solely by a lens adapter. Like many digiscopers I traipse around in the woods a lot. I wondered if I bumped into a low-hanging tree branch, for instance, how well the lens adapter would handle the impact. To relieve anxiety, I purchased a side mount and now use both the lens adapter and side mount for extra support. The sidemount is made from light-weight aluminum and adds little extra weight.

Attachments

• sidemount.jpg
    sidemount.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 229
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back