• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DigiSnap 2000 and MC-EU1 (1 Viewer)

ps11aj

Pierre
Wich one of DigiSnap 2000 and MC-EU1 is the most reliable?
Does any of them have some delay when you use them only as shutter release?
Other plus and minus?
Pierre

Pierre,I use the MC-EV1.I think a lot of proffessional photographers would not be very happy with it as there is a slight delay between turning the camera on,and taking the shot,you have to press the button on the MC after you have turned on the camera,which means you do lose some time,and of course in those few vital seconds the bird can then decide to move off.But if you have a reasonably steady object,you can stand away from the camera and press away to your hearts content,and there is no vibration etc to the camera,but it does take a little time for the image to be transferred from camera to card.These remotes are quite tempermental.The first one I had would suddenly refuse to function,until I had unplugged and re plugged.It finally packed up ,and was replaced by Nikon as it was still under warranty,so far so good.But I think it is a matter of personal choice..
Having said that,if mine packed up again,I would replace it,as I find it easier to use than the manual cable releases,but I think I am in the minority of users.

Someone who actually owns and uses the Digisnap will definitely have to be heard from here, but my understanding is that the problems with the Nikon MC-EU1 stem from its "serial interface," and since the Digisnap uses the same interface, I suspect that some of the delay issues are true for that item, as well.

Like christineredgat, I have come to use the MC-EU1 more than I use my manual cable release setup, even though sometimes this electronic cable is quite vexing with its delays, etc. My solution has been to set the LCD screen to stay on as long as possible, leave the camera switch "on," and use a supplementary battery pack so that the camera will maintain power for several hours even when constantly powered up. So far, this arrangement has worked pretty well for me.

Pierre
I use a digisnap 2000. In action you can use it as if the button is half pressed giving no delay in shutter release. It does take a few seconds when the camera is first switched on but then it is like booting a computer from a serial port. All in all it is very good at what it does.
Cheers
dave nuttall

digisnap

dahyon said:
Pierre
I use a digisnap 2000. In action you can use it as if the button is half pressed giving no delay in shutter release. It does take a few seconds when the camera is first switched on but then it is like booting a computer from a serial port. All in all it is very good at what it does.
Cheers
dave nuttall

I did order the DigiSnap 2000 since it was about 500 sek cheaper and people seems to have less problems with it.
Thanks for your answers
regards Pierre

Hello there

Dave, could you tell me if you bought your Digisnap 2000 in the UK or did you have it shipped from the US?

Thanks, Kevin

Hello all
It was shipped from the US and arrived within a week. First class service.
Cheers
Dave Nuttall

Have 'bitten the bullet' and sent for the Digisnap 2000. Must say, they sounded very helpful. I would;t use Nikon again on principle. I have bought two MC-EU1s from them and they have BOTH broken. I also sent a Nikon Coolpix 4500 to them for repair (via my local Jessops) and after waiting 8 weeks, they sent it back, asking for the £100 or so repair bill - ONLY for me to find that they hadn't even looked at it!

Moral of this story is NOT to use Nikon unless you are forced to. It was therefore with great relief that I read about Digisnap.

Kevin

I got my first technical problem with my digisnap or the camera today. I think it was something with the usb port. The digisnap did not work properly and the red light flashed twice at least once. I thought it was the battery and stopped using it. When I came home I could not copy the memory card in to the computer and there were very strange maps and files on the card according to the computer. I could see the pictures in the camera but not in the computer. I formatted the card and took some test pictures and now it worked as it should. Does anyone recognize this problem? I think it might have been the usb that was not connected properly in some occasion.

I got my Digisnap 2000 from the states - just 3 days from order to arrival - Oh if the UK postal service were as good as that!

Anyway, works very well. I opted for the 'Fast snap' configuration to be added. This means that each time you press the shutter release, the camera 'recycles' to the 'half shutter pressed' position. The great thing about this is that there is only 0.1 second delay between pressing the trigger and the camera shutter being activated, which means much less chance of the object you are trying to photograph moving. It also gives you a free hand with which to fine focus your scope. With the Nikon MC-EU1 I found I was forever struggling between half pressing the cable release button and fine focussing the scope. With the Digisnap, I can forget about keeping one hand pressed on the shutter release button.

So far, all works very well - looking forward to using it more in the next few weeks.

I would agree with other correspondents that the service from Harbortronics has been exemplary - highly recommended.

Kevin

I got a small nervous break down when all the pictures on the card was destroyd. It has however been a one time event so far. I was moving between different places and the USB fell of now and then. I think that was the reason of my trouble.
So be careful when you move. I allways close the camera and disconnect the digisnap when I am moving, since this event.
I hope the camera manufactures will make better usb connections in the future.
By the way. The digisnap arrived about a week after I ordered it. Very good service :).

Last edited:
I have the Digisnap 2000, to replace the Nikon remote.

The Nikon was indeed horrible. I have only had the digisnap (with the fastsnap option) and I can say it works perfectly. You can fire off shots as soon as the camera is ready...

Also you can configure the buttons as you wish. I reconfigured the time lapse button to switch the fastsnap on or off. all you need is a PC and a serial communication package, which most have.

If I find anything new I'll update this thread....

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back