• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Cleaning (1 Viewer)

Briggz

So I was at the optomistrist this AM getting the yearly checkup and I asked what they thought would be the best to clean binocular lens. They gave me a microfiber cloth and eyeglass cleaning solution.

Are these OK to use or is there something better. I have one of the pens and use that currently but just wondering

When ever i clean optics i use a rocket blower first to remove all the big stuff , and then use a lens brush ( like the one on the end of your pen ) , and then finally use a microfiber cloth to remove smears. I dont really see the need for the eye glass cleaning solution.

I think most of those eyeglass solutions are OK, first give it a good brushing with a lens cleaning brush before wetting the lens. Most eyeglass lenses are made of plastic so one would think these solutions would be fine.
Make sure the microfibre cloth is a quality one they do differ, and keep it clean.
Some users will give their waterproof bins the faucet rinse first, I am more fussy with mine and they don't get that dirty!
Some like the Zeiss paper pre-moistened lens cleaning cloths, they are good also, but
can leave lint on the softer rubber eyecups.

Lens cleaning is worth its own thread, there is such a wide range of options.
This reflects the reality that more optics have been damaged by well intentioned cleaning than any other cause.
I wholeheartedly agree with Ryan that the first thing to do is to blow/brush off the loose grit and debris from the lenses. Holding the glass upside down during this process helps ensure the detritus is not merely rearranged, but falls away.
Still, I'd never use a dry cleaning cloth of whatever type by itself. Cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol are pretty effective as well as fairly gentle. I've also used soapy water if nothing else was available, with careful rinsing immediately after. However, more expert members suggest that is a bad idea, as moisture can migrate past the seals into the interior.
A more authoritative set of recommendations for this common chore would be a useful contribution.

Is there any need to worry about the propellents used in the "canned air" products? Probablly not but I want to make sure before I FUBAR something really bad.

My greatest problems are finger prints from the 8 year old and skin, I have psorasis on my face so I get flakes on the oculars. Sorry to be so blunt.

I used lenspen to clean my camera lens and binoculars. They are quite effective. The important thing is to use brush to get ride of the visible particles first.

I think everyone has their own method but this is what I do. First I hold the bins upside down and using a soft artist's brush I brush off any loose dust. I use this brush only for cleaning my optics and nothing else. Then I use 'coated lens cleaner' which I get from the opticians, spray on just a little and then gently rub the lenses with disposable micro fibre cloth. I buy it on a roll from a camera shop, use it once and throw it away. I then breathe on the lens a few times and polish it off again with a different piece of of micro fiber cloth being careful not to rub too hard.

I've also used soapy water if nothing else was available, with careful rinsing immediately after. .

I used to do this until a birder I have great respect for told me soap can scratch the lenses.

Blow away dirt from the lenses. Lightly spray lens cleaner on a cotton ball. Clean lens lightly, discard cotton ball and use another as needed.
Bob

I used to do this until a birder I have great respect for told me soap can scratch the lenses.

Bar soap does have some titanium dioxide as a white coloring. And it's hard and small so it could do some damage over time (though I've never seen this even with my (softer than glass) CR39 eyeglass lenses which get washed daily with bar soap on a finger and water).

Liquid dish soap (washing-up liquid in the UK) has no such issue and it's what I use to clean waterproof optics with no issues. That and plenty of water.

The main trick is to blow off then rinse off anything that can scratch the lens.

The "apply cleaner to cloth/cotton ball" approach is really for non-waterproof optics. If you have a waterproof bin life is rather easier.

The final advice: don't clean the optics unless it's needed. If it's waterproof a rinse or perhaps just (after blowing of any junk) gently breath + clean microfiber cloth may be all that's needed.

Briggz - I would not recommend canned air to blow on lens, particularly if the surface has liquiid on it. The pressure will often be greater than ordinary wind, and liquids can migrate through tiny areas on the edges. I've seen capillary action move water on the backside of objective and ocular lens leaving a smudge. Most lens do not have O ring seals unless they are rated waterproof. The small rubber squeeze bulb with camel hair is a good choice for getting rid of the big gunk. Zeiss cleaning packets tend to leave a light smear on lens. I often use liquid cleaners on microweave cloths first but never by itself. Lens pens work well on finger prints. I seldom clean my lens unless they are subject to salt spray. Even then I try to be as gentle as possible. Check on any alcohol product to make sure it is pure - no water percentage at all. John

No matter how I try I can't seem to get rid of smears. I have used a calotherm cloth and spray designed for all types of lenses and multicoated optics.

Should I use any alcohol on the surface?

After all you can't be optimistic with a misty optic!

Wimpy

Should I use any alcohol on the surface?

After all you can't be optimistic with a misty optic!

Wimpy

Many solutions have alcohol in them. In fact that should be about all that is in them except water.

But I do wonder if alcohol is good for the new water/oil coatings. Zeiss mentions nothing about using it on Lotutec. All they mention is microfiber. The omission at least suggests there's no harm in it.

I've used the disposable Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers premoistened cloths and they are really handy. 50 of them for a couple bucks. Supposedly anti-static and anti-fog, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back