• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x32 BN (1 Viewer)

Hi Dennis, I was interested to see that after my post you edited out "blurry and dim image"! "Blurry" really was an unsupportable statement. It was a significant exaggeration! If trinovid 8x32BA's or BN's were in good condition and focussed correctly, and were indeed still blurry, then a lot of trinovid 8x32 supporters would have recognised that and got rid of them for almost any other binocular.
John

Hi Dennis, I was interested to see that after my post you edited out "blurry and dim image"! "Blurry" really was an unsupportable statement. It was a significant exaggeration! If trinovid 8x32BA's or BN's were in good condition and focussed correctly, and were indeed still blurry, then a lot of trinovid 8x32 supporters would have recognised that and got rid of them for almost any other binocular.
John

I used the wrong words to make my statement. I didn't really mean they were blurry and had a dim image I meant they were slightly less sharp and slightly less bright than some other newer alpha binoculars. The BN's are not dim and blurry.

Dennis has a history of trying to save us from ourselves. He's quite the evangelist.

You see, it just public service that motivates him. Most (all?) of us don't have the depth of understanding of all things binocular that he does and he's just trying to save us the agony of relegating ourselves to birding with bins like the lowly Trinovid.

We're just ignorant you see, and his humanity compels him to be argumentative and insensitive to what WE are saying whilst driving home the point that whatever HE dubs (currently) to be the one and only true birding bin. All for our own good, of course.

No no, it's not condescension friends... he's just seen the light! 8-P

Dennis has a history of trying to save us from ourselves. He's quite the evangelist.

You see, it just public service that motivates him. Most (all?) of us don't have the depth of understanding of all things binocular that he does and he's just trying to save us the agony of relegating ourselves to birding with bins like the lowly Trinovid.

We're just ignorant you see, and his humanity compels him to be argumentative and insensitive to what WE are saying whilst driving home the point that whatever HE dubs (currently) to be the one and only true birding bin. All for our own good, of course.

No no, it's not condescension friends... he's just seen the light! 8-P

Sorry Kevin I just feel there are better binoculars out there now than the Leica Trinovid BN and some for less money. I think some people become too loyal to one brand and are unwilling to try something else. I think it is like brand loyality in automobiles. When people go on and on about how the BN is the best all around binocular they have ever had I am going to argue with them because I disagree. They can have whatever they want but I am going to disagree with them! It makes it more interesting doesn't.

Well, the 8x32 BN is a nice pair. Good optics and built like a tank. But it's optically not quite as good as some of the current crop of alpha roofs, for instance the Zeiss 8x32 FL. I personally wouldn't pay 600 quid for a used 8x32 BN, not even for one in perfect condition, I'd rather save up for a Zeiss FL if it's got to be a roof.

Or, if you happen to be a fine weather birder, I'd get the Nikon 8x32 SE. It's optically clearly better than the Leica, but of course it's not waterproof. Another pair in the price range you mentioned is the traditional Swarovski 8x30 porro. The Swarovski porros are waterproof and optically very good indeed.

Hermann

Right on Hermann! Exactly how I feel.

The Leica 8x32 BN is in a special club with other truly great binoculars, such as the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt and the Nikon 8x30 EII etc, they just have that X factor which is hard to quantify.

I wonder if Zen Ray will ever be held in so high a regard ;)

The one thing we can take from this (and similar threads) is that opinions (even those stated as facts) are like sphincters.....everybody has one (save those who've had "that" operation.....). It's one of the things that makes forums like this one....interesting, and what makes us check it most days, just to see.....n' cest pas?

The proof of the pudding for me is simple: after all this time with my Leicas I never, ever find myself musing "I wonder if there's anything better out there..?"

Frankly then, it just doesn't matter that there may - or may not - be technically superior bins out there. My satisfaction with my Leicas is complete.

When I lend the Leicas to other folk (often either non-birders who don't know one pair of bins from another, or birders with bins at various positions in the market) the response I hear all the time is along the lines of "Wow! It's just like your own eyes, only bigger!"

What could be better than that? The perfect view as far as I'm concerned.

I also know that always chasing the next best thing is not a route to happiness, and there's evidence of that on this thread - I'm glad I'm not as obsessively driven by evident dissatisfaction as some of the contributors here.

Last edited:
The proof of the pudding for me is simple: after all this time with my Leicas I never, ever find myself musing "I wonder if there's anything better out there..?"

Frankly then, it just doesn't matter that there may - or may not - be technically superior bins out there. My satisfaction with my Leicas is complete.

When I lend the Leicas to other folk (often either non-birders who don't know one pair of bins from another, or birders with bins at various positions in the market) the response I hear all the time is along the lines of "Wow! It's just like your own eyes, only bigger!"

What could be better than that? The perfect view as far as I'm concerned.

I also know that always chasing the next best thing is not a route to happiness, and there's evidence of that on this thread - I'm glad I'm not as obsessively driven by evident dissatisfaction as some of the contributors here.

Couldn't have put it better myself Keith! We can drift off into birding heaven completely 100% CONTENT.;)

www.duffbirder.blogspot.com

"I see sharper and brighter images but not a better, more life like view." Interesting that you think a less sharp and less bright image depicts a more lifelike view. It is interesting to me that BN's are still so popular after all these years and how vehemently their owners defend them. I really don't understand their popularity based on their optics. It must be their build quality and ergonomics and small compact size that make people like them. Glad you like them.

Let me explain my view for the last time. I have tried all of the so called alpha models and they are obviously a (slight) improvement optically (as in brightness/sharpness etc) or no-one would buy them!!! However, the lifelike view I am referring to with the BN's, so eloquently explained by Keith, also includes the X-factors of 3D image, realistic, natural colour and superb contrast/resolution etc that culminates in a unique all-round unit. My opinion has NOTHING to do with nostalga as I demand the best view I can get...and I have found it. The view is easy. If you have found yours brilliant...let's celebrate! B :)

Many pairs = restless mind

Last edited:

Well, the original question in this thread (before it got derailed somewhat) was a bit different:

I've seen an old pair of Leica 8x32 BN Trinovids. I've heard these were/are the bees knees when it comes to Birding bins and still command quite a high price on the second hand market. Basically the question is, is £599 a good price for these and are they still worth it?

I still believe that if you want to spend that kind of money it may well be worth looking at some of the alternatives, like the Zeiss 8x32 FL or the Nikon 8x32 SE. Both the Zeiss and the Nikon are *optically* better than the Leica 8x32 BN. Not by a huge margin, but they're better.

If you already have the Leica, however, things are totally different. In that case it's a question of whether the slightly better optics warrant spending a lot of money on a new pair. But that wasn't the question of the original poster.

BTW, I'm sticking to my combination of a Leica 8x32 BA and a Zeiss Victory II 10x40 which I both got when they were new on the market. I personally don't think the improvements in optics are such that I'm prepared to spend a lot of money on getting one of the latest alphas. I did get a Nikon 10x42 SE however, simply because I generally prefer porros over roofs. And I got it for a very good price.

Hermann

Well, the original question in this thread (before it got derailed somewhat) was a bit different:

I still believe that if you want to spend that kind of money it may well be worth looking at some of the alternatives, like the Zeiss 8x32 FL or the Nikon 8x32 SE. Both the Zeiss and the Nikon are *optically* better than the Leica 8x32 BN. Not by a huge margin, but they're better.

If you already have the Leica, however, things are totally different. In that case it's a question of whether the slightly better optics warrant spending a lot of money on a new pair. But that wasn't the question of the original poster.

BTW, I'm sticking to my combination of a Leica 8x32 BA and a Zeiss Victory II 10x40 which I both got when they were new on the market. I personally don't think the improvements in optics are such that I'm prepared to spend a lot of money on getting one of the latest alphas. I did get a Nikon 10x42 SE however, simply because I generally prefer porros over roofs. And I got it for a very good price.

Hermann

Don't get this obsession with multiple pairs...confusion reigns surely?

I really don't agree, Hermann - what you've quoted from me goes precisely to the original question. Elvis' question is "are they still worth it?" and I'm clearly saying "yes, they are".

I couldn't be more "on point".

Besides, as you say, the thread has been all over the place - why focus on my comment?

I think that what we've got here is a gaggle of "serial binocular fetishists" trying to persuade simple birding binocular users like me and AWhitehead (and I think, Elvis) that their way is best, whatever that might be. All Elvis seems to want to know is if the Leicas he's asking about are good bins that he'd enjoy owning - and the answer to that question is an unequivocal "yes".

Last edited:
I think that what we've got here is a gaggle of "serial binocular fetishists" trying to persuade simple birding binocular users like me and AWhitehead (and I think, Elvis) that their way is best, whatever that might be. All Elvis seems to want to know is if the Leicas he's asking about are good bins that he'd enjoy owning - and the answer to that question is an unequivocal "yes".

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that my way is best. I only happen to believe that £599 is a bit much for a used Leica 8x32 BN and that it might be an idea to have a look at some of the alternatives I mentioned. You've got a different opinion. Fine. So we'll have to agree to disagree on this ... :)

Hermann

I'm not trying to persuade anyone that my way is best. I only happen to believe that £599 is a bit much for a used Leica 8x32 BN and that it might be an idea to have a look at some of the alternatives I mentioned. You've got a different opinion. Fine. So we'll have to agree to disagree on this ... :)

Hermann

Exactly. " £599 is a bit much for a used Leica 8x32 BN." Exactly how I feel. Leica BN's were once the best but they have grown long in the tooth. Before I would spend that much money on them I would check out some of the newer alternatives.

The one thing we can take from this (and similar threads) is that opinions (even those stated as facts) are like sphincters.....everybody has one (save those who've had "that" operation.....). It's one of the things that makes forums like this one....interesting, and what makes us check it most days, just to see.....n' cest pas?

Exactly. Differing opinions are what makes this forum interesting and educational. I have changed binoculars many times based on reviews and discussions here on bird forum. It is very helpful.

For someone who wants an allround birding binocular with great optics and handling, that will last forever and that does not cost as much as the current top-range, the Trino 8x32 is still one of the best options out there.

A different questions is what would be the right price for a used Trino. Here, unfortunately I agree to this:
I only happen to believe that £599 is a bit much for a used Leica 8x32 BN

Unfortunately, because I recently sold my Trino for only 600 €, which seems about the going rate in Europe. 700-800 € may be right, if the seller is not private but a reputated dealer who checked the bins before.

So rather than looking for more expensive new Zeiss and Nikons, or cheaper Zens that may fall apart in a couple of years, a good alternative could be to look for another Trino with a better price.

Sorry Kevin I just feel there are better binoculars out there now than the Leica Trinovid BN and some for less money. I think some people become too loyal to one brand and are unwilling to try something else. I think it is like brand loyality in automobiles. When people go on and on about how the BN is the best all around binocular they have ever had I am going to argue with them because I disagree. They can have whatever they want but I am going to disagree with them! It makes it more interesting doesn't.

Yea, the 8 x 32 Trinovid BN is kind of like a '57 Chevy. A real piece of junk. Right?

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back