• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Koh Samui (1 Viewer)

Ste-gull

Risegeterd Uesr
Hi birdforumers!

Im heading to koh samui next year and have been trying to get an idea of the birds on the island. Im struggling to find any decent list with most info for Thailand much more broadly.

Has anyone a good link or book or spreadsheet they would be willing to share a link or name of? Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers all and happy birding!

Nearly 30 years ago, Jan '87, I passed through Koh Samui en-route to Had Rin, Koh Pha-ngan for a few days chilling out in the days before it was trashed, so my species list is probably irrelevant to the present day. Just enjoy the birds you see, if there's any habitat left. You should at least see White-bellied Sea Eagle, Brahminy Kite, Pacific Reef Egret along the coast (big enough to id without bins) also Blue-tailed Bee-eater, Yellow-vented Bulbul etc.

Nearly 30 years ago, Jan '87, I passed through Koh Samui en-route to Had Rin, Koh Pha-ngan for a few days chilling out in the days before it was trashed, so my species list is probably irrelevant to the present day. Just enjoy the birds you see, if there's any habitat left. You should at least see White-bellied Sea Eagle, Brahminy Kite, Pacific Reef Egret along the coast (big enough to id without bins) also Blue-tailed Bee-eater, Yellow-vented Bulbul etc.

To be honest this is for my Honeymoon so I think I'll be in trouble if I don't "just enjoy the birds i see" haha. But I do like to do my research first so my on sight IDing gets me the birds without actively "twitching" too heavily :t:

So our Honeymoon to Koh Samui was rather fantastic, and it all feels particularly cold now in the UK again.
Considering how "in-active" the birding was (no binoculars and only noting what was around us) we did pretty well. Here's the list (including the few we saw at Bangkok airport on the way too):

1. Little Cormorant (Bangkok airport)
2. Little Egret (Bangkok airport)
3. Pacific Reef Heron
4. Cattle Egret (Bangkok airport)
5. Striated Heron
6. Asian Openbill (Bangkok airport)
7. Brahminy Kite
8. White-bellied Sea Eagle
9. Japanese Sparrowhawk
10. Black-winged Stilt (Bangkok airport)
11. Common Sandpiper
12. Pomarine Skua (possible)
13. Black-naped Tern
14. Bridled Tern
15. Feral Pigeon
16. Spotted Dove
17. Zebra Dove
18. Asian Koel
19. Black-nest Swiftlet
20. Edible-nest Swiftlet
21. Asian Palm Swift
22. Collared Kingfisher
23. Blue-tailed Bee-eater
24. Indian Roller
25. Coppersmith Barbet
26. Barn Swallow
27. Pacific Swallow
28. Grey Wagtail
29. Stripe-throated Bulbul
30. Yellow-vented Bulbul
31. Common Tailorbird
32. Oriental Magpie-robin
33. Brown-throated Sunbird
34. Olive-backed Sunbird
35. Crimson Sunbird
36. Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker
37. Black-naped Oriole
38. Ashy Drongo
39. Jungle Crow
40. Asian Glossy Starling
41. Common Myna
42. White-rumped Munia
43. Scaly-breasted Munia
44. Eurasian Tree Sparrow

If anyone wants any info on where we saw things, reply and I'll add some extra info and maybe some photos (didn't managed to photograph every species but got a good number of them - some photos on my flickr below).

And thanks again for the help previously - was definitely very useful!

Last edited:
Any help?

Hi we are off to Koh Samui in August for a wedding, but will be taking the bins! Any advice on locations or anything else would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

So our Honeymoon to Koh Samui was rather fantastic, and it all feels particularly cold now in the UK again.
Considering how "in-active" the birding was (no binoculars and only noting what was around us) we did pretty well. Here's the list (including the few we saw at Bangkok airport on the way too):

1. Little Cormorant (Bangkok airport)
2. Little Egret (Bangkok airport)
3. Pacific Reef Heron
4. Cattle Egret (Bangkok airport)
5. Striated Heron
6. Asian Openbill (Bangkok airport)
7. Brahminy Kite
8. White-bellied Sea Eagle
9. Japanese Sparrowhawk
10. Black-winged Stilt (Bangkok airport)
11. Common Sandpiper
12. Pomarine Skua (possible)
13. Black-naped Tern
14. Bridled Tern
15. Feral Pigeon
16. Spotted Dove
17. Zebra Dove
18. Asian Koel
19. Black-nest Swiftlet
20. Edible-nest Swiftlet
21. Asian Palm Swift
22. Collared Kingfisher
23. Blue-tailed Bee-eater
24. Indian Roller
25. Coppersmith Barbet
26. Barn Swallow
27. Pacific Swallow
28. Grey Wagtail
29. Stripe-throated Bulbul
30. Yellow-vented Bulbul
31. Common Tailorbird
32. Oriental Magpie-robin
33. Brown-throated Sunbird
34. Olive-backed Sunbird
35. Crimson Sunbird
36. Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker
37. Black-naped Oriole
38. Ashy Drongo
39. Jungle Crow
40. Asian Glossy Starling
41. Common Myna
42. White-rumped Munia
43. Scaly-breasted Munia
44. Eurasian Tree Sparrow

If anyone wants any info on where we saw things, reply and I'll add some extra info and maybe some photos (didn't managed to photograph every species but got a good number of them - some photos on my flickr below).

And thanks again for the help previously - was definitely very useful!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back