• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changing Border Colour (1 Viewer)

Pete007

I have recently followed a Photoshop tutorial regarding creating a border effect around a photograph.
While I have been able to create this as per instructions the border used is white and I would prefer to create the same effect using a black border.
However when I try to try to change the fill etc to black I end up getting 'Blue' or no image at all.
I would therefore appreciate if anyone can point out what or where I am going wrong.
To create with a white border the workflow is as follows -

1/Open image and create new layer
2/ With layer open Edit/Fill and select Black as fill colour (set at 100%)
3/Use Marquee tool to create inner edge of border on image then inverse selection
4/ Repeat step 2 but using White as the Fill
5/ Deselect selection
6/ Effect varies but for example here Filter / Blur / Gaussian Blur ( set pixels)
7/ Apply required Filter effect i.e. Pixelate/ Crystallize
8/ Go to Blend modes and select screen

This works for me when creating a white border but despite trying to reverse this and create a black border I cannot seem to replicate this.
Any advice or feedback as to where I might be going wrong much appreciated.

There's an easier way; although it's just a coloured border, nothing fancy

• CTRL + J for a new layer
  • Hold CTRL and Select the Layer
  • Press M
  • Right Click the selection and choose Stroke
  • Set the size you want; say 8px
  • Select the Colour you want
  • Click OK - Flatten the Layers

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back