• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can someone explain bogen tripods?? (1 Viewer)

Paulyoly

I'm looking at getting the bogen 3011 tripod legs and not sure what head, but there are 4 or 5 different models, 3011N, 3011BN, 3011Bpro, what's the difference? will the 3001 tripod legs be enough for the 3130 head and the pentax 80ED? This was much simpler when i was just taken pics of birds at the feeder.:D, i want the stirdiest i can get for the money($150usd)

Ok how about explaing the difference between the bogen 3030 an d 3130 heads, i know the 3130 says it's a micro fluid head, what does that mean, the 3030 justs seems to be a 3 way pan tilt.

Have you checked out B&H Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph..._Aproduct_html___CatID=3950___SID=F4387D49F50

You can get a good explanation of each model.

You are really only talking about two different tripods, the 3001 and 3011 so far as load carrying capacity is concerned. Most of the differences (3011N, 3011BN, 3011Bpro) have to do with special features such as variable leg angles, color and other things. It would pay you to study this site and determine for yourself what you need.

I got a Bogen 3221 WN or 055BWB from them. Very happy with it. Similar legs to the 3011, except that you can independently change the angles of the legs and I think they lock differently.

Both have similar weight rating and I think any of the 3011 will be more then adequate.

I have the 3029 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head - Supports 13.20 lb (5.99 kg). Its the same as the 3030 but no quick release. I got tired of dealing with them on other cheaper tripods. Besides with a NIkon 4500, to change the battery, you have to remove the camera from the tripod, then remove the "quick release" from the camera. I was also concerned about mounting a heavy scope on a quick release.
Its a standard heavy duty 3-way pan/tilt.

I only wish I had considered the 3275 (410) Compact Geared Head (Quick Release) - Supports 11.00 lb (4.99 kg) .

It would have been real handy. It also costs $170.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph...=F4387D49F50___call=specs#goto_specifications

3001BN Tripod Legs (Black) - Supports 11.00 lb (4.99 kg) would I think, work well with the
3130 Micro Fluid Head (Quick Release) - Supports 8.8 lbs

Ideal for a VCR camera up to 8 3/4 lbs. Includes an adjustable handle that can be positioned on either left or right.

I have never used a fluid head but many others have. As far as I can tell. it allows you to pan left or right more smoothly then a standard head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph...SID=F4387D49F50___call=features#goto_features

I use the Bogens (manfrotto) 3130 tripod with the fluid head and give it high marks. It pans smoothly, quickly but it isn't loose and 'goosey' like some other quick-panning heads. I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks to both of you for the reply, i ultimately choose the 3011bn and the 3130 head, i bought mine from bhphotovideo.com because of their excellent 2 day delivery, atleast for me i order on Monday and it's here by 3pm on Wed and they ship fedex which i love, hate ups. I love the tripod, very sturdy and well made, even my wife was impressed and she has no interest in photography or bird watching for that matter. I bought the green 3130 head just for sh!ts and giggles.

Chuck that $170 head sounds nice, but for that price it should be!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back