• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

who uses ball heads?? (1 Viewer)

I'm a strong believer in trying each tripod until you find one you like, its all pretty personal as to whether you get on with it or not, like most things in birding, some prefer angled scopes others straight, some like 10x50 others 8x40. try one at a local optics shop and see how it feels. (in case you can't tell I have no Idea)

Ashley beolens said:
I'm a strong believer in trying each tripod until you find one you like, its all pretty personal as to whether you get on with it or not, like most things in birding, some prefer angled scopes others straight, some like 10x50 others 8x40. try one at a local optics shop and see how it feels. (in case you can't tell I have no Idea)

If you don't know that's ok, i don't know either, anything will be great compared to my current vivitar tripod. I have to drive 1 hour to get to a real camera store, i live out in the woods, hince the birdwatching is in my backyard. Just trying to get a feel for what others use.

Ashley beolens said:
I use a pan and tilt type head, Manfrotto setup, nice and comfortable for any direction.

I'm leaning towards a pan and tilt manfrotto head at the moment, so does it pan smoothly? I assume i should look at getting the one that supports the most weight, how do you lock it when you want to shoot, twist the handles?

colin j said:
I find ball heads too loose,
My slik D3 does the job I require.

Colin>

Thanks, that's the kind of info i'm looking for, i don't really want to have to hold onto the camera and scope to move it anyway. which ballheads have you tried?

Paulyoly, With the manfrotto heads they generaly have two screws, one to stop it tilting up and down, and one to stop it spining, I usually have them loose enough to move but tight enough so they don't move without my help.

Paulyoly

I originally used my Manfrotti tripod but I have added a Manfrotti 501 Fluid head to it which helps enormously with following a moving bird.

John J said:
Paulyoly

I originally used my Manfrotti tripod but I have added a Manfrotti 501 Fluid head to it which helps enormously with following a moving bird.

Hey thanks for the info, i went ahead and got the bogen/manfroto 3130/128rc video fluid head in green, with the bogen 3011/144 tripod legs. I hope the 3130 can handle the pentax 80ed scope, it's rated for 9lbs, the pentax weighs almost 4lbs, how much does the Nikon 990 weight? I may make an adapter plate that attaches between the scope and tripod to rule out the weight of th camera, you'd be surprised what you can make out of stuff from the hardware store. maybe in the future i will upgrade to the 501 pro fluid head, it was $130 compared to $70 for the 3130.

Andybrightuk said:
I'm not sure he knows yet 3:)
Andy

With my bulging bisceps of course

http://www.pbase.com/image/14155818/medium

the pentax weighs 3.52lbs/ 56.4 oz., the swarovski only weighs 10.5 oz. less at 45.9oz., not a big difference to me, i lift 50lbs on a daily basis at work. I think that tripod and head weighs less than 8lbs

Don't let the pic fool you, i am 30 years young! I need a shave and a hair cut bad.

Last edited:
Paul,

Pardon me, but I think you already have the haircut bad. What you need is the haircut good. ;) ;)

Tony :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back