• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much vignetting ??? (1 Viewer)

sasi_yaad

Hi all,

I am very curious to know how good, various eyepiece camera combinations are, regarding vignetting.

I know of three EP's that are usualy used for videoscoping,

The EagleEye 12x Digiscoping Eyepiece (don't know the thread diameter),
A William optics 40mm with a 37mm thread
and a Scoptronix 40mm with a 42mm thread.
all gives about 10X-12X magnification on a 80mm scope.

I use The Scoptronix with a sony pc110, and can use 40%-55% zoom on the camcorder without vignetting. At full zoom I have slight vignetting ,but also some softning and less contrast.

It would be realy nice to have a useable zoom range of 40%-100%!

So, is there a camcorder that gives less vignetting than others?
or maybe an EP that is more suitable...
Better than that, is there a camcorder with a 5X zoom that may work with the birding EP?

Please let us know how much vignettig you get.

Sassi

Hi Sassi,

My videoscoping outfit is a Leica APO 77 scope, EagleEye 12x Digiscoping Eyepiece and Sony PC330 Camcorder (10x optical zoom).The camcorder is attached using an EagleEye adaptor.

I find that I can use approx 25-65% and also 95-100% zoom without vignetting whilst shooting video. When taking stills the zoom range is more limited, although I can get reasonable shots even at full zoom but there is noticeable vignetting. I cropped the attached still, taken at full zoom, to reduce the vignetting effect and used the clone tool to lighten the corners of the image.

The EagleEye eyepiece has a range of adjustments you can make to get the best results from most popular makes of scope and camera combinations.

Sandpiper.

Attachments

• Fieldfare 2b.jpg
    Fieldfare 2b.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 230
Sassi

I use an Opticron ES80GA ED with HDF zoom and LCE adapter. One of the camera's I use is a Sony PC109e which gives 1Mp still ( poor relation of the 330 ). These were taken with the eyepiece zoom set to x20. You'll notice that the more Video zoom I use the less vignetting. None of these were cropped. Max zoom on the sony is x10 when combined with the x20 on the scope give? ( a lot of vibration! ). Lucky it has an IR remote.

Attachments

• DSC00281tn_.JPG
    DSC00281tn_.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC00275tn_.JPG
    DSC00275tn_.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC00279tn_.JPG
    DSC00279tn_.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00283tn_.JPG
    DSC00283tn_.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 249
Sandpiper said:
Hi Sassi,

I find that I can use approx 25-65% and also 95-100% zoom without vignetting whilst shooting video.

Sandpiper.

Sandpiper,

Can you tell us how the EagleEye 12x Digiscoping Eyepiece attaches to the 37mm thread of the camcorder lens and how it attaches to the scope.
Can it be used on any astronomical telescope (a standard 1.25")?

As the scopetronix don't give better results and its diameter is 42mm, it is less recomended for camcorders with a 37mm or smaller thread on their lens.

Sassi

Would be interesting to here from people that tried the william optics for videoscoping?

Sassi,

The EagleEye 12x Digiscoping Eyepiece is connected to the scope by an adaptor that fits the major makes of spotting scope. It is connected to the camera/camcorder with a Digimount adaptor which has a 37mm thread. It is possible to buy step-up/step-down rings to match the filter thread on your camera lens. Unfortunately my setup suffers from counterbalancing problems that I mentioned in a separate thread under "Tripods and Heads".

You can find more detailed information from the following website, under "Digiscoping Eyepiece" :

www.eagleeyeuk.com

If I can be of any further help please contact me.

Sandpiper

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back