• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need some help Identifying these! (1 Viewer)

digerati

Hello, all! Just joined up here. I thought maybe you guys could help me out! I've put up a feeder outside my office window, and I've started seeing birds that i can't identify. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area, if that helps. I've attached several pictures that I took while they were here.

Attachments

• P1010920.jpg
    P1010920.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 178
  • male.jpg
    male.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 135
  • pair.jpg
    pair.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 142
  • redbird.jpg
    redbird.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 139
Definitely House Finches for Brandon's reasons and also male's back is dull with a slight white wing-bar as opposed to a Purple Finch male's more red back with no wing-bar. Great shots! :t: Also, welcome to BirdForum!

sweet

Thanks!
A GIS for "house finch" confirms it!
I'm just getting into photography, and the birds on the feeder make great subjects.
I'll probably post a few more that I'm having trouble identifying!

Hi, Digerati! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

Another foolproof way to tell male House Finch from other similar finches (Purple or Cassin's) is that the color on the head is restricted to what looks like an "eyebrow" and on the forehead, never completely covering the head in a cap. :t:

Carpodacus mexicanus (House Finch), without a doubt.

Definitely in my top 10 "favorite songbirds" list.

Actually, theres a male that hangs out near a local convenience store who sings off and on throughout the night, obviously confused by the bright neon lights of the store. He was singing tonight actually. Beautiful bird, beautiful song.

I love the House Finch songsters, too. Especially that burry, up-sliding note at the end, which always cracks me up. Makes it sound like he's exasperated nobody's paying him enough attention. ;)

Hi Digerati,

You've already probably worked this out, but in case you were wondering, the brown bird on the right in the third picture is also a house finch, but a female. They have a very plain looking face with no eyebrow, and of course the heavy streaking on the front.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back