• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Just updating the monthly list for the reserve; has anyone recorded any of the following in March so far:

Common Gull, Meadow Pipit, Siskin, Collared Dove, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Coal Tit, Jay, Raven, Nuthatch, Yellowhammer

John and myself had a collared dove at the flashes on tuesday 6th

Thanks to a cancelled meeting, I managed to pop into the Flashes late afternoon. I met Peter H who confirmed there were no Avocets present, nor had they been reported at the Moors. Wonder where they go?

Anyway at the Flashes present were;

Little Grebe - third Flash
Green Sandpiper
Oystercatcher
Curlew 17
Lapwing 28

At the Feeding station there were 6 Reed Bunting feeding on the seed I put out on Sunday.

Teal 5
As the light faded more and more Black Headed Gulls came in to roost. A pink flushed individual was present and by the time I left, just after 6 about 300 were present with more arriving! I looked at a lot but no Med Gulls ;)

Gull Roost
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6818874790/in/photostream

Pink Flushed Black Headed Gull
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6818856866/in/photostream

Green Sandpiper
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6964948421/in/photostream

Green Sandpiper with an itch!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6818840530/in/photostream

Teal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6964967537/in/photostream

Last edited:
As the light faded more and more Black Headed Gulls came in to roost. A pink flushed individual was present and by the time I left, just after 6 about 3000 were present with more arriving! I looked at a lot but no Med Gulls

Hi Gert - I assume that this wasnt a mistype - three thousand !!!!

Just updating the monthly list for the reserve; has anyone recorded any of the following in March so far:

Common Gull, Meadow Pipit, Siskin, Collared Dove, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Coal Tit, Jay, Raven, Nuthatch, Yellowhammer

Collared dove me and Gavo 6th March - flashes,
Coal tit amys east border singing 6th March
Raven overhead 6th March - Flashes
Do you read my birding notes...try looking at the 6th March8-P. Must be wedding day nerves:t:have a guden kid
ps Phil have you still got the strimmer harness clip..PM me mate B :)John

Just a single Avo @ the Flashes so far this morning. I see someoneks done the downstairs doorway light shade fence though...

Just a single Avo @ the Flashes so far this morning. I see someoneks done the downstairs doorway light shade fence though...

Messrs Andrews and Wakeman at the tail end of the work party on Sunday. i tried a hazel weave but it didnt come out right. Hope it looks OK and does the job.

Grey Wag and Sand Martin over...

Nice one, Sy,

That Sand Martin is pretty much on cue. Median arrival date over the past 10 years is 13th March with a standard deviation of 6.3 days (z= -0.63, Q = 0.26). There was about a 1 in 4 chance of one turning up this early. Being earlier than the median date continues the general trend for this species which has become significantly earlier in its arrival over the dacades: t(18) = 4.47, p <0.001 for the periods 1946 - 1976 versus 2002 - 2011.

Nice one, Sy,

That Sand Martin is pretty much on cue. Median arrival date over the past 10 years is 13th March with a standard deviation of 6.3 days (z= -0.63, Q = 0.26). There was about a 1 in 4 chance of one turning up this early. Being earlier than the median date continues the general trend for this species which has become significantly earlier in its arrival over the dacades: t(18) = 4.47, p <0.001 for the periods 1946 - 1976 versus 2002 - 2011.

That's interesting Dave - another indicator of climate change?

Right, LRP next - here are the prediction dates as at today..

9th - Trevor (discors)
10th - Gert (Gertatron)
11th - Mike (Wheatearlrp)
12th - John (Upstarts)
13th - Gavo
14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
16th - Andy (Spoonbill Finder)
17th - Phil Andrews
19th - Chris (Cooky1)
20th - Jim (HenHarrier)

Moors Pool - 8.00 am to 1.00 pm.

Gull numbers were very impressive this morning. Although numbers were fluctuating there were at times upto 6/700 BH Gulls, 60 plus LBBG, 20 Herring Gulls and 1 Yellow Legged Gull.

Also 4 Oystercatchers with these alternating between Moors pool and paddocks behind Lifestyles.

Attachments

• IMG_B_1603.jpg
    IMG_B_1603.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_B_1622.jpg
    IMG_B_1622.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_B_1623.jpg
    IMG_B_1623.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_B_1630.jpg
    IMG_B_1630.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 84
Gull numbers were very impressive this morning. Although numbers were fluctuating there were at times upto 6/700 BH Gulls, 60 plus LBBG, 20 Herring Gulls and 1 Yellow Legged Gull.

Also 4 Oystercatchers with these alternating between Moors pool and paddocks behind Lifestyles.

Really? that would be a lifer for me :eek!:

And me actually, one of those birds though which I cannot get motivated to seek out, just figure I will spy upon one sooner or later.

Are you gullophobic then Mark? ;) I love gulls personally and would love to see one, however I would'nt have a clue how to pick one out of a flock :-C

Tell me that Sand Martin didn't arrive just after I left! Nice one

No, not just after, mate. You'd have missed your meeting completely. I think there were actually two, but I (and Keith Murdoch) saw the first one late without bins and as I changed from front of hide view to side of hide view past the corner post I got onto a bird (in bins) later than I would have expected. Processing image of other species now. Alan's post has saved me the trouble of going for big adult gull photos. A confirmed Yellow Legged would have been a first for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back