• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slight frustration! (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

I hope someone can help, even though this isn't really about photo editing.

I have been trying to produce directions to a venue for one of the events we are organising at work. On the map I was trying (in PS7) to draw a circle on the spot where the venue is and I have been having a pig of a job doing so. I'm pretty sure I've done this before some time ago, but can't remember how I did it. I switched the image mode and tried all the tools options, and just about everything else I could think of, including reading the instructions - nada!

So, in my frustration, I switched to Fireworks and managed it in about 30 seconds! Why, oh why, can I not do this as easily in PS?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Other than stick to Fireworks.

Earlier versions of Photoshop used to have bags of drawing commands and I think Adobe would like you to use Adobe Illustrator for adding these touches to art work.

However using PS CS (8) there is still away to make a coloured circle.

1) use the elliptical marquee tool to make your circle

2) Go to Edit menu and select stroke

3) select width of line and colour etc.

job done

Robert

Last edited:
Tried this in PS7 and it worked!! Thank you very much.

What I can't understand is - that is what I was trying the other day, I think, (as per the Help instructions) and I almost got there, but the stroke did not come out clear - it was all fuzzy and indistict and I couldn't find a way to change this. I've just had another play and I think it was because I was in RGB mode. As soon as I'm in Indexed Color mode the circle becomes sharper.

Thanks again.

Maybe due to the transparency setting - opacity or blending mode.
Index colour is really a form of data compression - basically it limits the range of colours allowed.

Robert

I'm a Paint Shop Pro user, so I don't know specifics about PS, but in PSP, there is usually a checkbox for "anti-alias" on tools that make lines, text, etc. If PS has a similar facility, this may be your problem. The anti-alias checkbox will make lines less sharp. The idea is to get rid of jagged edges, especially on diagonals, but using it makes edges slightly blurred. For small objects, it is better to not use anti-alias.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back