• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavor EDII 8x32 (1 Viewer)

LesR

Has anyone who has bought the new Endeavor's encountered any problems with them?

Received a pair of EDII 8x32 yesterday and a couple of issues were immediately apparent.
The eyecups are at a slightly different height when in the retracted position and the left eyecup rubber is below the metal ocular housing. My spectacle lens on the left touches the metal housing, so likely to scratch the lens.

The metal focus knob back plate has a hole/cutaway in it which exposes the focus spring mechanism and which will obviously let in dust and water.

Hope this is just an isolated example that slipped through QC and expect it will be rectified swiftly.

Last edited:
I'm sure I would have noticed when I tried the 8x32 if my glasses touched metal surfaces. No such problem on the 8x42 but the eyecup on the right side sits a fraction of a mm higher than the left. Not an issue for me as I need to twist out the eyecups a notch for use.

The second issue I don't believe is a fault as something similar is apparent on a Hawke and an Opticron I have at the moment. It appears to correspond to a peg on the housing which governs the range of movement of the hinge.

David

Thanks David for explaining the focus plate issue. If I needed to swist out the eyecup a notch it would not be an issue for me either, but as the eyerelief is a little shorter on the 32 I can't do that and still see full fov.

Les

Les,

I know you would expect Vanguard to get stuff like that right, but a number of my binoculars have rubber bands, 0-rings or coils of plastic coated wire fine tuning the ER for my needs. Would a thin rubber band sitting above the green trim do the trick?

David

David,

I think a very thin O ring would most probably do the trick, but there was another issue, so I will wait to see what Vanguard have to say this week. I was curious with the OP to see if anyone else had any issues with the new line. I had the previous Endeavors in 8x42, which were excellent value for money, and think Vanguard are a very good progressive company offering excellent products at their price points.

Les

Has anyone who has bought the new Endeavor's encountered any problems with them?

Les, I'm pretty verbose in my review here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=290305

Any and all issues I had were reported there.

Received a pair of EDII 8x32 yesterday and the eyecups are at a slightly different height when in the retracted position and the left eyecup rubber is below the metal ocular housing. My spectacle lens on the left touches the metal housing, so likely to scratch the lens.

Yeah that sounds like a fairly straight-forward defect. I'd exchange them from your vendor.

The metal focus knob back plate has a hole/cutaway in it which exposes the focus spring mechanism and which will obviously let in dust and water.

Well, I believe I called this a "service port" in my review. I don't see this as any problem unless you were frankly quite adventurous with your binoculars. I guess sand could get in there and mess things up but at an average IPD, the port opening is much smaller.

My binoculars stay firmly in my hands or around my necks so I can't comment on the extreme(s) testing.

Thanks for the link !
The global score is good but the transmision is not very hight and the graph shows a low value in the blue line.
The graph of the Vixen New Foresta is not in the same league...

119982_vanguard.jpg

25648_vixen_new_foresta.jpg

Just to update this post. The original EDII's were eventually replaced by Vanguard, but the replacements had a very loose centre hinge, just putting them down on the passenger seat of the car moved the IPD, so they have also been returned. Seems that I received a couple of pairs that missed the QC department.
Have now received a pair of Opticron Verano HD 8x32 which are very good straight out of the box. They have a much larger fov than the Vanguards and better eye placement. They seem a little brighter and certainly sharper at distance than the Vanguards too. Very happy with these.

Les,

Not surprised you are discouraged, but all I can say is I've had the 8x42 for 5 weeks now and it continues to impress. It's a little curious you thought the Verano HD sharper, I've never thought it the best in the Opticron range in that regard.

David

Les,

Not surprised you are discouraged, but all I can say is I've had the 8x42 for 5 weeks now and it continues to impress. It's a little curious you thought the Verano HD sharper, I've never thought it the best in the Opticron range in that regard.

David

David,

I agree. I had the Verano HD 8x42 and thought it had a very pleasant view, the contrast was very nice, but I just didn't think they were worth £400.

I have the Vanguard Endeavour ED II 10x42 and have had no issues with it. I can completely understand the OP ' S frustration. I've been there. A higher number of duffers get through QC than you would think. At one point I thought I was the problem!

I wouldn't go that far. It's a popular model. Japanese build quality, a 30 year warranty, nice handling and a perfectly respectable view. It's just I like sharp!

David

Funny you should mention build quality. I ended up with two pairs that had slipped through the net. One pair clicked loudly when focusing, the other had a squint bridge and focus wheel that wasn't attached properly. I got an interesting response from the owner of Opticron who said "That's just the way they are. My model is the same."

In my opinion, not worth £400. £300 at a push.

Funny you should mention build quality. I ended up with two pairs that had slipped through the net. One pair clicked loudly when focusing, the other had a squint bridge and focus wheel that wasn't attached properly. I got an interesting response from the owner of Opticron who said "That's just the way they are. My model is the same."

In my opinion, not worth £400. £300 at a push.

I suppose it's possible that some of the demo stock for field days, retailers shelves and Birdfair have been checked out before I've got to them, but I've not noted any faults with the dozen or so I've tried. (I did see an Imagic will a collimation issue once.) Not nearly been so lucky with the Discovery though. 8-P

David

Last edited:
I suppose it's possible that some of the demo stock for field days, retailers shelves and Birdfair have been checked out before I've got to them, but I've not noted any faults with the dozen or so I've tried. (I did see an Imagic will a collimation issue once though.) Not nearly been so lucky with the Discovery though. 8-P

David

I tried a Disco just the other day and it was way out of collimation. A bit of a hit or a miss. I think it is a good range for the money, but the old adage "try before you buy" is so true. I bought an 8x50 on Saturday and the sales assistant was mildly irritated when I asked to try the model I was buying.

I tried a Disco just the other day and it was way out of collimation. A bit of a hit or a miss. I think it is a good range for the money, but the old adage "try before you buy" is so true. I bought an 8x50 on Saturday and the sales assistant was mildly irritated when I asked to try the model I was buying.

Two comments....

Love the 8x50. It is my favorite from the Discovery range. That huge ocular and large exit pupil just make it feel like such a "walk in" experience.

I am surprised the sales assistant was irritated. Trying the actual unit you are buying (of any sport optic) is pretty much standard practice at all of the retailers I visit. Even with the online ones I have asked for them to check the individual unit prior to shipping and they have never given me a problem.

Two comments....

Love the 8x50. It is my favorite from the Discovery range. That huge ocular and large exit pupil just make it feel like such a "walk in" experience.

I am surprised the sales assistant was irritated. Trying the actual unit you are buying (of any sport optic) is pretty much standard practice at all of the retailers I visit. Even with the online ones I have asked for them to check the individual unit prior to shipping and they have never given me a problem.

Frank,

Yes, it is a great binocular. Very bright and large sweetspot. Very happy with my purchase. I also like the 8x32. It's selling point is its size. Optics are decent too, but not outstanding.

I was surprised at the sales assitant. It was only when I justified why I was asking that she said, "Oh yes you are quite right." This is the first time I've experienced this.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back