• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Zeiss 7 x 50 H (1 Viewer)

Sorry Brock but this model, although it has a hinge down by the objective lenses, is not an open hinge because it has that metal tube running down from the top bridge to the bottom hnge. Delete this tube and you have room for fingers because the hinge arrangement is now 'open'.

Lee

You don't have be sorry when you're wrong. ;)

Due to the tapering of the barrels, it appears there's actually more room for the user's fingers than a typical open bridge roof, and way more room than some open bridge roofs such as the Minox BP with its big blocky bridges.

I bet Dobler or whoever it was who thought he came up with the idea for an open bridge roof for the EL had knowledge of these binoculars. Like the EL, it has two bridges, one near the EPs and one near the objectives, and an open space for the fingers to wrap around the barrels. The most convincing evidence of the Zeiss Septar's paternity can be found in the original EL prototype you posted.

Technically, it might be a misnomer to call it an "open bridge" because of the center post (which the short-lived Nikon Monarch X also had), but it provided the prototype for the design of the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt, and its post-free variant, the EL, and the three-bridge mutation, the SF.

On our next show, we'll be talking about the history of human/animal hybrids, the first of which was J. Edgar Hoover.

Which one's Hoover?

<B>

Last edited:
You don't have be sorry when you're wrong. ;)

Due to the tapering of the barrels, it appears there's actually more room for the user's fingers than a typical open bridge roof, and way more room than some open bridge roofs such as the Minox BP with its big blocky bridges.

I bet Dobler or whoever it was who thought he came up with the idea for an open bridge roof for the EL had knowledge of these binoculars. Like the EL, it has two bridges, one near the EPs and one near the objectives, and an open space for the fingers to wrap around the barrels. The most convincing evidence of the Zeiss Septar's paternity can be found in the original EL prototype you posted.

Technically, it might be a misnomer to call it an "open bridge" because of the center post (which the short-lived Nikon Monarch X also had), but it provided the prototype for the design of the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt, and its post-free variant, the EL, and the three-bridge mutation, the SF.

On our next show, we'll be talking about the history of human/animal hybrids, the first of which was J. Edgar Hoover.

Which one's Hoover?

<B>

You could be right about the inspiration Brock because Dr Dobler has an interest in older bins, and certainly the widely spaced hinges concept had already been arround for a long time. For the EL the story seemed to start with the Dialyt 7x42 belonging to Gerhard Swarovski, and getting rid of the centre post was a fundamental part of the design.

Didn't J. Edgar invent a Dam or was it a vacuum cleaner?

Lee

Lee

Hello,

The Porro II design is classic, going back to WWI. Leitz, Barr & Stroud, and Ross all manufactured binoculars of that pattern, generally for military and naval use. I have a Leitz, a Barr & Stroud and a Ross Porro II binocular. Each of them in 7x50.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Arthur and LPT

Thanks both for some fascinating stuff.

Just goes to show that the old saying 'there is nothing new under the sun' is right.

Lee

Hello,

I hope to upload a photograph of a Barr & Stroud, a Ross, and a Leitz Please note that the Barr & Stroud CF30 has no support rod.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hello,

I hope to upload a photograph of a Barr & Stroud, a Ross, and a Leitz Please note that the Barr & Stroud CF30 has no support rod.

Happy bird watching,

Arthur and all others:

Nice examples of the many older models from the past.

Arthur, I am curious, are those in good condition, and have you
needed to have them restored and cleaned ?

Jerry

Hello,

Happy bird watching,

Great stuff Arthur.
And a Zeiss Dialyt-era rainguard in the background!

Lee

Great stuff Arthur.
And a Zeiss Dialyt-era rainguard in the background!

Lee

Hello Lee,

Those rain guards fit jus about any binocular. Zeiss was made them, here, in the "colonies," and they were reasonably priced.

Happy bird watching,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back