• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which bins? Old question, but ... (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
I've been recently asked this question by a friend, and had no answer :-C
It's quite embarassing asking something so generic here, but I'll try to provide more detail.

1. Money is an issue - budget between 300-500€
2. Main usage is mountain walks (some birding) - so not too heavy, quite tough, not extreme magnification
3. I'm not familiar with beta-brands nor with recent models (after years I still use my old Swarovski 7x42 :t: ), but looking for something as bright and crisp as possibile within the budget limit
4. Bins could be bought online as well but in Europe - really doubt that local dealers store brands like Opticron or Vortex or the like, I should check ...

What would you suggest (based on your experience)?

Thank you very much,
Max

Max,

I guess the first model that springs to mind as a hiking binocular is the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. It's got a wide view, good colour, good sharpness and it's small and light. It's main issue is the 15.1mm eye relief which will be a problem for some spectacle wearers. If you search the forum you will see references to glare issues. It seems some reached the market with inadequate blacking of the internal surfaces, but the one's I've seen have been quite acceptable but perhaps not as good as bigger, heavier and more expensive options. There is a very similar model from Kite, the Lynx 8x30 which is pricier and a bit better specified.

At a lower budget, the Kowa YF, Leupold Yosemite, Opticron Savanna and others have small porro prism models. Perhaps their 6x30s might be a good option. They are not as compact as the Nikon, but they definitely count as small and light. These are spectacle friendly with over 20mm eye relief.

David

For me these would be a 'silly not to' :

Vanguard Endeavor ED 8.5x45, 8.5x magnification to give a little bit more 'reach', nice optics, one or two people on here own them and they have been well received, first class ergos and not costly (286.00 euro, iro GBP225.00).

http://www.amazon.it/VANGUARD-Binocoli-Endeavor-ED-8545/dp/B004OR10YU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1412861614&sr=8-7&keywords=binocolo

I own a Nikon in 8.5x45 and it is well worth bearing the extra weight for the extra magnification in viewing landscapes and the larger light giving objective.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
+1 for the Nikon M7 8x30 :wide field, small, light weight and good optics. The price is good (Kite Lynx are a bit expensive for the same optical material).

The Pentax DCF 9x32 are also very nice for the price but less compact. You can find them in Europe.

BTW, a 10x42 could be a good choice for landscape and long distance birding...

(Il tuo amico puo anche fare un giro su Binomania , ci sono tanti informazioni in italiano :king:)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back