• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Gull ID, Florida, USA (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

The below photograph was taken on 26 January in Melbourne (east coast), Florida, USA.

This Gull was in a flock of Ring-billed Gulls and I thought it was one also. However, I noticed the bill is grey. Not much can be seen of the legs but they are not yellow and also appear to be a grey color. Need help on this one.

Attachments

• 615_00540fem Unknown Gull in Flight-1.jpg
    615_00540fem Unknown Gull in Flight-1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 102
Ring-billed gulls can be quite variable in bill and leg colour. It is probably diet related. I've seen some pale birds and some so bright the bill is nearly orange.

It is also a bright, sunny day which tends to bleach diital photographs and live appearance to a certain degree.

It's an immature RBG (2nd winter/3rd calendar year) hence the subdued bare-part colouration, more extensive black on the wing tips (especially visible on the primary coverts, on both the upper and under-wing) and lack of mirrors.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back